Edit 26/10/2013: fixed some naughty tags for UK, FR and DE road types. Version 1.1 should be working fine for all roads now.
The October madness continues!
I present you now the Verrazano-Narrows bridge from New york City! It is a double-decked suspension bridge that connects the boroughs of Staten Island and Brooklyn in New York City at the Narrows, the reach connecting the relatively protected upper bay with the larger lower bay.
Things to consider
- The bridge is made up of two bridges, just like Uokiok's Sydney Harbour Bridge: The central span with the two towers (bridge 1) and an extension bridge for each end (bridge 2). I recommend laying the Bridge 1 first, upgrade it to Bridge 2 using the upgrade panel, and then snap the Bridge 2 extensions on each end towards the highway connections.
- If you are a real pro, however, you will want to give your bridge some curvature in its midpoint. No bridge this long is completely flat, there's always a curvature with a higher clearance in the mid point. To achieve something similar, given the technical limitations, then do as follows: (i) create a small piece with Bridge 2 higher than its default height, (ii) upgrade it to Bridge 1 and then draw some bridges in oposite directions sloping down a little and stopping just before it switches from one tower to two towers, (iii) upgrade the whole structure again to Bridge 2 and (iv) draw some Bridge 2 extensions towards the highway connections.
- It may happen that, depending on the stretch and compression of the towers, some lights near the towers float up in the air a little. In this case, destroy the bridge and rebuild it again.
- The bridge uses the in-game highway, but connects only to the "RHM to Highway" transition piece so the bridge is used with the RHM custom highways and not the in-game highways.
This bridge and my previous ones would have not been possible without PJC's efforts and tutorials on bridge building - thanks! Also thanks to nicko2u for helping PJC fix all the bugs in the highway bridges.
A massive thanks goes to Monty, for taking my request to explore light particles and finding new ways to modify their colors and sizes. As usual, he came up with an amazing job and thanks to him the bridge looks awesome at night!!
Finally thanks to uokiok for helping me understand the necessary changes to make two bridges like these upgrade and connect to each other. 谢谢!
Save the attached .patch files directly into your game PAK folder; if a page full of weird symbols appears save the file by right clicking on each and "save target as" directly on your PAK folder.
Remember to download the latest UIM.
- Installation Pre-requiste(s):
- XL Nation User Interface Mod
I will no longer be hosting XLNation as of March 1, 2017. Unless some one steps forward to take over the domain name and provide hosting XLNation will shutdown. If you are seriously interested in taking on this project and can technically and financially support the project please contact me.
Transportation Verrazano-Narows Bridge v1.10
The Verrazano Narrows Bridge by aitortalla01