1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd Uv Nightlights Starting With L3?

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Mr.X², Nov 9, 2014.

1. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

hello guys and pro-modders,

id really like to know how to create 2nd-uv nightlights, starting with l3 and creating l2 and l1 out of it.
    unfortunately montys tutorial only goes the other way round, and for people like me, starting with l3, thats way to much effort and time consuming... (used this method for my modern mall and it took about 3 times longer than usual, and well, the result is... :p )
    already tried to figure it out myself.. but well, i didnt manage to achive it
    and id really like to use the advanced possibilites of those nightlights, so if someone is willing to tell me how to do it i would me most grateful :)

2. vipklerri

vipklerri Executive

you're talking about the maps self-illumination?
    I had a problem. I can not install it in any way. Create a map and set it on map channel 2. Usually use 1 channel. but looking through some fashion you see that someone manages to make a map for 2 channel
    The result set that map.
    [​IMG]
    3d Max everything looked perfect.
    But the game turned out horrible.
    [​IMG]
    All the basics of 3D Max and modding know. Because channels in 3D Max configured correctly. It seems to be)

3. vipklerri

vipklerri Executive

In 3d max.
    6789b1c8a137848eb7329ab2ff2495a1.png

4. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I would also like to know this as well....

@vipklerri
    are You choose building_enhancedUV2_v1 shader?

Mr.X² likes this.
  5. vipklerri

vipklerri Executive

I'm not much not understood this phrase. Explain more

6. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

Capture.JPG

7. vipklerri

vipklerri Executive

and what they actually differ?

I just used the parameter Building

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

the difference between those shaders is the used uv map

"Building" the original shader by monte cristo is quite boring and uses the 1st uv channel for night illumination, thats the uv channel you also use for your diffuse and other maps

"building_enhancedV2" is a modified shader by altiris which shines a lot brighter than monte cristos original, this one also uses the first uv channel

"building_enhancedUV2_v1" is a modified shader which uses the 2nd uv channel for night illumination (like you want to do)... dont know how to explain, but it some kind of grabs the illumination information from the second uv channel you created.
    this shader enhances night-illumination possibilites a lot and to make your nightlights, based on the 2nd uv channel work properly, you need to select this shader :)

btw. back to topic.. no one here who is willing or able to explain?

nicko2u likes this.
  9. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

I don't understand why you start with LOD3??? Could you explain it a bit??

About the 2nd channel nightlights, I can make a new tutorial based (at least 90%) on Monty's tutorial but I'll have to ask him first. But it would be same as his, starting with LOD1. I did figure out a way to make parts of the texture more sharp (like windows). That method works best if there is a small amount of windows in the model.

10. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

hm, why`? how shall i explain?^^
    for me its much easier to start with a simple shaped model (l4), then adding basic details and the basic diffuse map textures (l3) and then starting adding more and more details..
    i dont know, i just cant start with a final model and then reducing everything... sorry but i cant really explain why i prefer this way, its just a lot easier for me.
    and yeah y not share knowledge with everyone else (if you got time for)? :)

11. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Ok whatever makes it easier for you is fine. You can actually (I think) finish all the LODS and then make the nightlights and lightmap. That should work just fine, because you need a fully textured LOD1 to make the nightlights and lightmap. By fully textured I mean the diffuse texture.

12. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

The point of starting with Lod3 is that you leave space space on the diffuse bitmap to use for more details as they are added. It also means you can copy the 2ndUV channel to the other more detailed lods which is a real time saver when doing baked nightlighting , provided that you also arrange the UV map manually to leave enough space in the UV layout to add extra faces as they are created for the more detailed lods.

I used to do it Lod1 first , but I am starting to see the attraction of the Lod3 first approach, particularly if you take the time to design your 2nd Uv layout manually and plan ahead a bit.

PJC

nicko2u likes this.
  13. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

thanks for your replies guys,
    ok pjc, can you tell me how to copy the 2nd uv channel and "paste" it to another lod please?
    i already tried simple copy-paste and saving lod3-2nduv.uvw and load it into 2nd lods 2nd-uvw, but it seems not to work (or im doing sth wrong^^)
    and to save space on 2nd uv channel i always use flatten mapping and then "pack uvws" (individual settings).. is this a good way to do this?
    and finally do you add every single detail you added to your model manually everytime you created a detail or do you do this when you have finished your next lod?
    (sorry if those are stupid questions but im still in my learning progress and when searching google for "copy 2nd uv channel in 3ds max" i dont get "good" results :) )

14. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

if you create an object with a 2nd UV channel mapping applied , when you clone or copy the object as a basis for the next lod , the 2nd UV channel mapping will be copied with it.

In other words , create the 2nd UV channel BEFORE you clone it to create other LODS.

The automatic packing or flattening of UV wastes so much space. You need to allocate more space to the faces that need it , and less to those that will hardly be seen at all or which the lightmap or nighlights will not have much impact. For example , windows need to be a reasonable size, large faces that are not subject ot much indirect lighting do not .

Adding extra details and texturing them , then cloning them , then attaching them to the model, then remapping the 2nd UV is one way to do it , but the actual way you do it depends on your style and way of working. Everyone is different in that respect.

Sometimes skillfull extruding within the existing UV mapping can work , depending on the detail, but there is not fast way to a decent result, a quality finish takes time and effort.

Mr.X² likes this.
  15. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Everyone has their own slightly different way to do it, and you are right, it takes time and effort whichever way you go.
    I go from LOD1 and adjust the 2nv UV Mapping manually (make the windows and lit up faces bigger).

16. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

thanks a lot for your explanation pjc (y)
    ill try this with my next project :)

17. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

well, tried it... but 3ds max always crashes when i open the uv-editor :(o_O
    any ideas?^^
    seems like i gotta do my current model twice this time - again -.-
    will give it another try next time

18. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I got that error too a lot, try pressing polygon button after opening the uv-editor window

Mr.X² likes this.
  19. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

That works, thanks (y)
    But seems like gotta redo it anyway due to some mistakes while planning the 2nd uv -.-

20. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Hi, everyone. As i understand the uv-map for nightlights should be the same for all 3 lod, but is there exist any possibility to make 3 different maps for each lod?