1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

A seam became visible after adding a bump map

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Immort_al, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

After adding a bump map a seam of texture became visible while in 3d max everything is ok. First I used a mirror tools in unwrap uvw, then tried to flip the texture, but it didn't help. Is here someone know a solution of this problem? gamescreen0052.jpg gamescreen0053.jpg

2. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Also i noticed that lod2 has some wierd shining, while lod1 and 3 dont have them
    gamescreen0259.jpg gamescreen0260.jpg gamescreen0261.jpg

tried to add a light map following nicko2 tutorials but the roof and some of faces looks too shadowed
    _temp_export_10-3-2015_01.JPG
    Can anyone help me with it? I can send the max file, or maybe someone know settings that could be a reason of these problems?

3. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Have you flipped any ploys?

4. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Yes, but first I used a mirror tools in unwrap uvw. And the problem appeared before I tried to flipp them

5. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Well, bump maps don't work well on mirrored or flipped polys in UVW mapping, bump map inverts itself. That's what I encountered before too:
    bump-problem-jpg.9681.jpg

6. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

And is there exist solution of this issue?

7. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I find those lines can usually be fixed with smooth modifier on that face.
    also make sure you don't have duplicate lines,faces.vertex.
    and sometime is necessary to add/cut more lines so each vertex has 3 points of contact.
    I have no issue using mirrow or flipped faces.
    In your example Paul looks like your faces are not the same even if flipped/mirrored

8. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

That example Paul posted may be occasioned by the normal mapping plugin. To fix it, simply invert the image before using the plugin.

About those black or shadowed walls, Select all vertices and hit the Weld Window buttom under Edit poly. If it still looks like it's broken, a Welder modifier could fix it. Under Editable Poly, select all faces and add a Welder modifier. Then collapse it. If it doesn't work, you will have to proceed manually. As Nicko said, it may be caused by a 'breach' at the vertex level. As a GPS must have at least 3 points to coordinate your exact position, each face must have 3 points to calculate the incidence of the ray samples.

Immort_al and nicko2u like this.
  9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Good points bobqwerty. If it's a google mod conversion,which seems many noobs use. half the issues are caused by many duplicate vertices, faces, lines etc. == not good. then again just bad modelling can cause an issue with any user/program

Edit: for all you math lovers
    https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/vertices-faces-edges.html

10. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

I know what is wrong in my example, I already fixed it in previous year :D. Before that I used same part of texture, but I needed to keep symetry so I inverted poly in UVW Editor window, so together with this bump map inverts too.
    I don't know any advanced plug-ins for this, but I redo texture or adjust the symetry so that both polys are same.

11. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Yay, I'm very proud of myself. I'm somewhat as smart as a 6 years old. No PS required. :angel:

quiz.png

12. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Thanks guys! I fixed these problem. The lines of texture and those weird signings of some polys of lod2 almost had gone with smoothing polys. And those almost black polys appeared after light map also has gone with welding vertices. And no, it's not google warehouse conversion, I made this model from beginning in 3D max, I guess that issue happened cause I copied pasted some elements, like chimneys, columns etc. But I don't know other easiest ways to repeat those elements.

13. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

cool, good to see you made some progress.
    As cool paulChris suggests use the 3dmax Edit UVW's window editor to mirrow or rotate textures, well that's what I do to get them to fit in my maps :)

14. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Well, it's quite opposite, mirroring or rotating textures in UVW window causes this bump map problems. And I can't see where PaulJChris suggested it.

15. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Really? odd I use this all time, well mirrored.

16. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Yes, I use mirror and flip tools for unwrap too, but sometimes afrer adding a bump map it become looks like on pics above. The smoothing polys helps, but not always. And i still dont understand why do sometimes those issues happen and sometimes not?

17. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

that element will get overlapped in uvw if You clone it, make sure You re map it before rendering lightmap...

18. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

I usally make that elements from a main building using edit poly so the first remains part of the main buildings and only then clone it like elements. Do u mean i have to re map it before clone or re map a clone?

19. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

UV Lightmaps don't overlap. Each face is unique. If you created something or had to flatten some faces, you have to render it again. Finish LODs first, then do lightmaps.

20. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I mean remap the clone...they will overlap the original faces in uvwindow and can be total black if You render it because they got rendered twice in same place...
    (although that overlapped faces may help to save 2ndchannel texture space if lightmap already rendered and they have identical occlusion effect :D)

an inverted face can result in black texture too, it can be fixed by mirroring it..
    You can select all inverted/overlapped faces in select menu