1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

A tribute to all modders: tell us how mods have improved your cities

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by mrmnts, Feb 13, 2016.

1. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

On a thread posted by Kipate on "your city photos" section, a few of us were discussing how we are using mostly mods to build our cities and play in sandbox mode and mostly have diverged from the original game, long gone and forgotten to embrace the freedom brought about by the mods. Post here some photos of how you are using mods to enhance your cities and how they've changed your game experience.

In my case, not only am I using a lot of mod buildings, but I've also started to combine ploppables to add new elements. For instance, I'm using swimmingpools to make ponds, or plant pots with added trees in them or trees sorrounded by benches, by combining 2 ploppables

Attached Files:

kipate and Monty like this.
  2. Inan

Inan Governor

Cities X(X)L would be dead without mods of course, the raw game is boring and monotonous. Nobody would play this game anymore without mods. FHI knew that when bringing out XXL, they were counting and hoping for mods by our great modders, i am sure, and they even didn't say thank you. They actually don't give a fuck on their game anymore, no responses on questions from the community, no handling about issues...nothing. FHI should hand out the games' source code to us. Comparing the policy of Paradox Interactive (Cities Skylines) with the community and modders, it is just another world...

Well, in almost every single picture shown here on XLN one can recognize dozens or even hundreds of mods. We are able to bring so much variety and diversity, so much different styles into our cities. You, @mrmnts was asking for pictures, please click on the link in my signature and check out the CJ, if you want to.

3. kipate

kipate Governor

Lol, @Inan , you should tell how mods improved your game, and not just how much you hate FHI :D

For my part, no-collision was the key to do what I want. Some examples with some notes:
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

Then, wall to wall, or w2w, has been a great help so far. Not willing to use no collision anywhere? Go and use w2w mods! Best examples here are all the great packs by @aitortilla01 , @Monty , @Pepino , @giorgoselsedai , and others whose names I forgot, damn it!
    Galax by @Myname :
    [​IMG]

Never forget the other three-letters combination: RHM!
    I guess there is no need to tell why it improved the game a lot, just have a look at this stunning interchange by @chenchuan :
    [​IMG]

I guess it would take a lot more time to recall all the other game-changers that were delivered by the modders here, just think about the furniture pack by @timofp and the UEPs by @Monty ...
    It is up to you guys to tell us what you do love about certain mods, and why you think they changed your game-life ;)

By the way, @mrmnts : maybe use that small fountain out of the furniture pack. Get it over the smaller circle area of your pool and elevate it a bit down ;)

Edit: typo

Myname, Mr. Sky, AzemOcram and 3 others like this.
  4. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

@Inan sure, will check that CJ out;)

Inan likes this.
  5. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

@kipate wow! so many good ideas there, I have to try myself some of these. Thanks for the tip about adding the fountain, I'll see how it looks :)

And about the no-collision: that's so true. In the game those blocks look so unrealistic and make a smooth curved road impossible. If you placed buildings on a curved road there were always ugly gaps between them

6. domengzu

domengzu Unskilled Worker

For me, one of the first mods I installed was the "money" bank. There is the kiwibank, the other is the money bank by joues, and then there is the federal reserve by leiva.

Without any of these, I can't make the cities I wanted to be, because of lack of cash and positive cash flow. Yeah, there is the in-game cheat to add cash, but that did not add a positive cash flow to fund monthly expenses and do the trading. Besides, I do not want to keep on adding cash to replenish my ever-discharging cash reserve.

These were specially useful if you want to build first the roads and highways before the buildings.

mrmnts likes this.
  7. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

My laptop here in my college town has difficulty running Cities XL so I haven't been able to play it. However, I love using mods to build magnificent cities and looking at screenshots with tons of beautiful mods!

mrmnts likes this.
  8. domengzu

Using solely the in-game bridges were just boring. With the addition of amazing bridges make the cities more fun and beautiful such as @aitortilla01 's Verrazano-Narows Bridge, The Sydney Harbour Bridge by Uokiok, New Bridge Pack by Uokoik (Cable-Stayed Bridge included), @Monty 's Bridge Pack, @Mr.X² 's Big Bridge Pack, @PaulJChris 's European Bridge Pack, @nicko2u 's Bridge Pack, @fayeddd 's Ushibuka Bridge, @Alex24 's Brooklyn Bridges, etc.

Those bridges were already awesome on its own. In addition, I am more fascinated with double-decked bridges. So, I tried to combine bridges, one above the other.

And to make the two bridge more precise, I am thankful to @vampiro 's CollisionBoxTolerance. This make centerlines of two bridges as close as possible (directly on above the other is not possible). Also with this mod, height was precisely done to make sure theres room for vehicles in the lower deck.

Therefore, I present to you two designs of fully functional DOUBLE-DECKED BRIDGES.

1. Cable-Stayed Bridge. Upper level is a 4x4 highway, lower level is 3x3 expressway.

2. Suspension Bridge. Upper level is a 4x4 highway, lower level is a 60-m boulevard.

If you were bothered by the low headroom on the lower deck (which actually not really low, buses and trucks can pass).

Thanks to all modders. Looking forward to have a dedicated fully functional double-decked bridge as one entity.
    Also, I hope this issue will be solved for XXL.

Attached Files:

Mr.X² likes this.
  9. kipate

kipate Governor

10. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

@domengzu WOW! those are amazing .. I would have never thought of making that kind of bridge. They look great. Also, I've been downloading only XXL mods for fear of older mods crashing the game, but recently I've downloaded a few that were not meant for XXL and the game is still OK, so I might try some of those bridges. As long as I keep track of them and can remove any one that causes problems it should be fine

11. domengzu

@kipate , thanks. The intention of my post is to show the awesome bridges made by our beloved modders. With regards to city behind it, I am reluctant to show it cause it is really in bad layout. :notworthy:, sorry.

@mrmnts maybe you can track this thread to be aware of those compatible and those which are not. Might be Mr. Sky will come up with list but I do not know exactly. I will try also by myself but I can't promise. :cool:

kipate likes this.
  12. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

nice :) you might wanna try this double bridge as well 测试/Beta Mods - Uokiok and Cities XL

domengzu and Inan like this.
  13. Inan

Inan Governor

14. domengzu

Thanks for the link. I just tried it, but it is not really a double-decked bridge. It just a simple T-supported bridge that can be use as second layer.

Anyway, this is nice addition to bridge collection. I think this bridge would be more appropriate as an elevated road and can be put on top of divided avenues/expressways in such a way the that the pillars will be on the center island of the avenue (maybe to ease some traffic of the road below as alternate route).

mrmnts likes this.
  15. Hypercynder

Hypercynder Skilled Worker

the best mods for my game was new highrises from new york and rails maybe.
    But great buildings was good too