1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

andytexas2711

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pharaonkheops, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Monty

Monty Governor

Well, he didn't ask us for permisson to upload our mods, and since they are free for everyone to download from this site I have no idea why would somebody reupload them to Steam without even asking. I'd say report him to Steam for uploading content that isn't his.

Mr.X² likes this.
  2. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, it indeed seems like he was not a well-known person, this Texan Andy.
    And if I remember correctly, he did not ask any of the modders for their permission.
    Of course, you will find a few mods on XLN whose authors have not been asked,
    but simply because they could not be asked anymore, as they vanished without any
    messages.
    And that is the difference, as many authors here are still active, as you can see :)

3. pharaonkheops

pharaonkheops Unskilled Worker

ok... I won't take his ones. People here at XLN make a really amazing work. I definitely don't want to give credit to someone who doesn't honor the creators at their real value.
    Though, I offcially request that more modders upload their work to steam, because is much much easier to manage... ;)

4. kipate

kipate Governor

I hope that is not meant seriously, because it is NOT easier...

5. pharaonkheops

for the modder probably not... but for the simple user....
    just sign in for the mod... automatic dl and update, on whatever PC you play...
    I have spent hours downloading stuff for SC4, cities XL (all versions), Europa Universalis, etc.... I kinda love Steam workshop ^^

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have reported him so hopefully they can be removed. He's posted one of my maps that's already in the workshop so if I update my map due to an error in the files, there will still be one in there that could cause members problems. That's why only the mod authors should be posting in the workshop as they are the ones that update the mods.

pharaonkheops, Mr.X² and Lokentaz like this.
  7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well I have gone further and lodged a DMCA report. I urge other all other mod authors to do the same.
    It helps to add the following to the bottom of your posted mods here on XLN to make it easier for Steam to process the reports.
    Copyright 2015 (Your Name) This item is not authorized for posting on Steam, except under the Steam account named _______

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

or maybe just add a general copyright note to this website?

9. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Those are good ideas. I would also suggest creating a confirmation window asking users not to redistribute mods without the author's permission; it could be brought up when they hit the "download" button, to which the user would have to select "I agree" or something similar before the download would begin.

Not sure how feasible that would be to implement; however, in the case that this guy has good intentions but just isn't using common sense, an agreement/disclaimer might make that more clear. You'd think it should be clear enough that uploading someone else's work is a bad idea, but oh well.

Lokentaz, Nogerivan and skullz613 like this.
  10. pharaonkheops

Lack of mods on steam lead that kind of guys to take the empty room. Maybe the XLN modders should all post on the Workshop with the explicit copyright cautionary statement Skullz6013 has mentionned.
    Steam workshop has a dependency managing function. I do use mods since the time of Simcity4 (simtropolis at start and then SC4D (wich is still active ^^ )). And even when you are a veteran of mods dl and installation, several hundreds mods can really get your brain upside down.
    The workshop is a very "user-friendly" solution.

11. kipate

kipate Governor

No, it is NOT a user-friendly solution. Have you thought about what you said before the words came out of
    the movement of your fingers? I. Am. Really. Annoyed :mad:
    The Steam Workshop is made only for leechers, it is not community-friendly, it is rather the cause
    for the death of communities like XL Nation.
    And the Workshop does not really allow for interaction of modders and users, as well as it does not really
    allow for the interaction of users themselves.

What are the advantages of such interaction?
    1) Modders can react faster to the requests of users, and I am NOT saying that modders
    can make the mod wishes of users come true, I am rather saying that problems with the mods
    can be solved easier as well as that wishes for code changes can be fulfilled in less time.
    This is also caused by the fact that the modders here know each other through XLN,
    they help each other with problems, send files for testing via PMs, and so on...
    2) Users can help users in less time with problems regarding mod that could not be found,
    in problems regarding the ways to create some certain road layout, and so on,
    just have a look at the tutorials and the forums...
    3) Do you really think that XL mods would be universal without XLN and other communites?
    Items like the Dependencies would hardly exist.

There are several other points I could mention, e.g. that modders can indeed create
    some items to simplify the XL-life of the users. One of the best examples is the creation
    of the Dummy Rail Bridges and especially its expansions.

12. Monty

Monty Governor

To be honest Steam Workshop sucks balls, not only for modders, but for players too when it comes to organization and finding stuff.

And the tool to upload mods doesn't work very well either.

13. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Steam workshop does suck balls when you want to manage your own downloads and when you have to reinstall the game.

When you upload an image, you have to certify that you created it. Do you not have to do that with a mod?

Whatever. I am flagging every mod in the Steam workshop by andytexas2711 that is available on XLN by an active XLN modder that I know with this or similar comment:

I have a good faith belief that andytexas3711 is not the creator of this mod. The mod is available at [insert xln link]. Please remove this mod from the workshop.
    EDIT: I will also let the xln modder know what I've done. In the future, I may try to contact the modder before I act. Maybe.

kipate likes this.
  14. pharaonkheops

Well, if you have read all what I wrote, you should have seen that I am not a leecher's friend and that I have ALWAYS followed mods' work on the diverse communities, even the oldest among them. Furthermore, I am the creator of this post, that mean I am the one who reported the point to the community.
    So please, be kind with friendly people and don't blame the messenger!!!

Actually, some XLN moders DO upload on the workshop. And, I'm sorry to say it, but searching for a mod is really easier on it than around here. I sincerely think that publishing is not incompatible with community life. Many people coming on XLN to dl mods don't involve in the community at all. Those who do, will come on the forums wherever they have dl the mods they use...
    The workshop is full of leechers because it is empty of moders...

15. kipate

kipate Governor

I do not blame you in person, @pharaonkheops !
    I am grateful that you opened this thread here, and I am grateful that you try to be a part of this community!
    But, I was furious after having your previous statement. You may be right with your comment about the speed
    of searching and downloading, but that is just one part of being "user-friendly", and hence you missed
    e.g. the points I named above, okay?