1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Competition?

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Mr.X², Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
?

Another City Building Contest?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2018.
  1. Yes please, I will participate

25 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Yes please, but I won't participate

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  3. No thanks

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

Since theres not a lot of activity around here i'm wondering if there should be competitions in the future...

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Judging by the votes I can see there will not be many participants :(

3. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Now, there are as many participants as in the last contest!

It's pretty cool,

I think we're going to need a new card for this new contest?:p

BahadirB and kipate like this.
  4. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

If there is a broader time period, I believe, it it could encourage more participants.

And people could share their cities in progress .

Mine is just a thought

solo, Drazicdesign and Project_Oz like this.
  5. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

but isnt a limited time period one of the central things of a competition? whats your suggestion?

actually you need to divide the votes by 2 to get a realistic number :p

BahadirB and Drazicdesign like this.
  6. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

That's it, there are 12 votes / 2 = 6
    This time, for sure, there are at least 6 participants!:ROFLMAO::p

Personally I am to increase the contest time at least 4 to 5 or 6 months.

For my part, between my children, my wife, my friends, my jobs, my house, a few sports, I do not have much time left to build a city!
    So if we can slightly increase the competition time I will certainly agree!:cool:

solo, BahadirB and kipate like this.
  7. kipate

kipate Governor

Yeah, four or five months seem fine to me^^

BahadirB and Drazicdesign like this.
  8. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

Of course I voted yes! just not sure that my participation will be the making of a city but rather encouragement and support of my fellow xln members and their cities,
    Hopefully there will be a competition for the map selection? I also think it would be cool if during the voting stage that we could vote on not just the top three but on what category prize they might win in.
    As far as the competition time duration it would be nice to increase it to 4 or 5 months that's why I didn't participate in the past two comp's.
    We could have themed competitions like seasonal spring, summer, fall, winter, or time period or best regional themed type competitions, just a few thoughts?

Drazicdesign likes this.
  9. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

like the last ones, one map.
    yes, that would be cool, but unfortunately a little difficult to manage.
    you might know that so far we did this by pm system with a limited number of members. Doing a poll, so everyone is invited, would mean to open a poll for every single category, thats just too many.
    Any suggestion how to handle this issue?
    I see the point. But i still think that a time limit is one of the keys for a competition.
    But I see i'm the only one, so it will be 5 months next time. That also means we'll only have one competition this year ;)

Drazicdesign likes this.
  10. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

Here my suggestions and its open for debate or just disregard, 1, increase the comp to 4 months. 2, make submissions only last a week not a month, either your done or not! 3, make the voting last for only a week again not a month and a competitor cant vote for his own , and have whom ever votes just post their vote and what category they think that city should have, after the weeks up tally the results , 4 after that comp roll right into the next comp, I don't know just seam easier.

ObelicS and kipate like this.
  11. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

I agree that a limited period is one of the challenges of an actual competition. When I consider, the low level of participaton, however, I think extending the deadline to a reasonable period can increase the number of participants. I mean, competition limited by a certain period is essential, but increasing the number of participants is also essential.

I totally agree with Drazic, I mean 4 to 6 months will provide everyone who has limited time to play the CXL with an opportunity to finish out a city.

Drazicdesign likes this.
  12. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have no problems with the original time period. If it's to be extended that's OK. Maybe only five months though so we could still achieve two competitions a year. Then at least if you miss one competition in the year, you have a chance to compete in the next. If the hardcore players are up to it, they can compete in both in the year.
    Just have to have a map ready to go for the second competition in the year.

Drazicdesign, kipate and BahadirB like this.
  13. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

Thumbs up ! (y)

I agree with that.

14. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

well, i could igonore the ones in category voting, but so far we did not have a problem with this. Would be more difficult with overall votes tho

Drazicdesign likes this.
  15. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, as I have organized parts of the last competitions, I want to share my thoughts:

1) the time period of 3 months has been crucial, and I agree with you all that it has been too short. Especially regarding the latest challenge, I really struggled and hence did not submit anything.

2) the map is another difficult topic. I have to say that I am bit fed up with all the complaints about previous maps. If you want a specific map, then go ahead and try to convince everyone else, or at least say something to @skullz613 :) No one will always get the number one map that fits their wishes :D
    And it's hard to find suitable maps, I have to say. You have to trade off between the size players will need for airports and other big structures on the one hand, as well as the fact that almost no one will be able to fill a vast land map within the given challenge time. Same for terrain characteristics vs. difficulty of playing the map in that short amount of time. Also, you will need to take a generic "green" map, as only those attract the most players.
    TL;DR: maps are hard to find, trust me, I did that three times already^^

3) there have not been enough people sharing their city photos or their thoughts during the last challenge. Talking to the veterans here, yeah, I know that real life may be tough, but posting e.g. some supportive comment can always be achieved even within a glimpse of time ;)
    So keeping the challenge threads alive is up to not only the participants, but also to the ones that just enjoy the competition^^

4) the category voting process in my eyes has been working quite well so far. It is only that we need to push the category voters a bit such that they do vote. Especially as most of the jurors have been experienced players who know what can be done with the game. So they may choose a small, but detailed and complex structure over just a big, but plain monster structure (e.g. regarding airports and ports, as well as complexity of the road layout).

So, just my two cents :)

BahadirB and skullz613 like this.
  16. nicknick

nicknick Governor

I agree with what already written here. . . First of all hi after some activity absence, indeed real life time limitations here, anyway. . .

1) regarding competition duration and time given to prepare a submission:
    i fully agree 3 months is not a long time. Between real life, obligations, time needed to preapre something, last time i submitted 3 months was barely enough and i had to devote extended time almost every other day and in weekends to get ready. . . it was a bit of madness so i 'd welcome any extension from 3 to 4 or 5 months.

5 months may be too much, we need some time to prepare next competition and some time to pack up last one, between voting and celebrating submissions and winners. I 'd think that to run 2 competitions in a year we may have to go to 4 months. Add to this a month before and a month after and you have a 6 months tine window to have two in a year. We definitely need a month before and a month after.

2) regarding map choice.
    Kipate, i understand your frustration. . . it's annoying when people moan about a competition map. . . i mean people that prepare the competition don't really have to make all that work. . . srsly it's just a competition. . . i 'd sincerely say there is no reason for people to complain and when they complain there is absolutely no reason to get upset by this ( even if i understand this last one, i 'd get balistic myself. . . lol )

Srsly though, the map is a "take it or leave it" thing. And if you ask me, people should be "ready" to play on any map. . . map does not really affect competition outcome, low interest does and this is where we should seek reasons for low participation. If some people don't like the map, let them not like tha map. . . people preparing the competition are already doing a fantastic job so, srly don't give a dime regarding this kind of criticism. . .

3) I'd like to suggest two new prizes:
    a) "newcomer" prize, meaning a prize for someone that is participating first time in the competitions
    b) "a prize for all" meaning some kind of "badge" given to everyone participating.

We could pick one of them. . . both could boost interest, and srsly if someone submitts something decent it's already an achievement. . .

4) i 'd also like to suggest the possibility of some "extra big prize" getting unlocked for either top 3 or all submitting. . . or top 5, etc. . .it's nasty and twisted but perhaps some kind of special building available to download only to participants :dmc9a: i 'd love to get my hands on something exclusive muahahahaha

anyway. . .plz extend it to 4 months , it's still barely enough at 4 months but i doubt we can extend more/ make prizes bigger to have better incentive to participate / i am happy with the competition format and prizes but bigger prizes may get more people in. . .:anges1::gru2:

A big hi to all!

BahadirB, skullz613 and kipate like this.
  17. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

The map is underway. I'm not going to say what country/area yet. I will say however, it should keep most players happy. We will always get a few players that are unhappy but as @nicknick said, take it or leave it.
    If players are going to throw hissy fits about the map selection and not participate, then it's more chances for other players to win something.

Hopefully there will be more cities to choose from at the time of voting.

BahadirB, Mr.X² and kipate like this.
  18. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

Finally:
    I decided to open up another competition. Looks like it will be only one this year since we cannot start before March.
    The changes will be:
    1. increase building time to 5 months
    2. decrease submission and voting phase to each 2 weeks (so one month overall)
    3. open category voting to everyone, by starting a public thread instead of personal messages

Additional:
    a) eventually we can do one of the medals nicknick suggest. Which one? And who volunteers to create them?
    b) exclusive mods are difficult. Nice idea but we dont have a lot of acitve modders left here. Personally I lost interest too, and if not Id still prefer to share it with everyone :p But if you find someone feel free to organize this.

My personal notes:
    It's a competition. So everyone participating needs to deal with some limitations:

Submissions can also be done with incomplete cities (see my last one; less than 5% of the map was filled.)
    Register or to view Spoiler content!
    Now compare it: Official Edzo Map Contest Submissions 2017
    You can still finish it when the competition is over and create a nice journal :)

Deal with the given map. The essential thing of this "Map-Challenge" is to master the difficulties of the map. Using our mods this can surely be done. Even if there are only two participants you probably wont be able to fit "all needs" of both players the same way. So in any case you are always free to leave the competition and play on a map you like.

19. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

Thanks skullz613 and Mr.X
    1,The extra time I believe will allow for more submission, I mean in the original competition we did actually have 4 months of build time from the the beginning date to the end of the submission date, most competitor wait till the last couple of day to post their wonderful cities,
    2, I like the one month change for the submitting and voting seams like a more reasonable use of time
    3. This allows for more member participation in the voting process,
    I'm not sure why there seemed to be an issue about the map selection who was complaining about it? I just remember that in the all the other competition with the exception of the Floro map,( unless I missed it?) we had a map selection competition that's why I asked if we were having a map selection competition? if were not I'm good with any map made and always appreciate all the work everyone has dose to make the game better, XLN members and modders rule and Focus is shit to be mild.

skullz613 and kipate like this.
  20. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

The map choice came to me pretty quick this time so I did not ask for ideas. I welcome members to come up with suggestions but not like the first time we tried it. There were multiple choices and way too many from individual members.

I'm not keen on a participation medal but maybe something for first time participants in the map competitions. Still undecided on that one though.
    Just look on YouTube regarding hate towards participation medals and you will know how I feel. I guess I'm old school but it's the best way. If you want to win a medal then you better work your butt off to make a winning city :)

The map is well underway. I have completed the base and now I'm looking at hills and small mountains. There will still be plenty of flat spots including one area big enough for a large airport. You should be able to run a railway around most of the map. Also there's plenty of harbor area choices.