1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Baking Ambient Occlusion (lightmap) With Mental Ray In 3ds Max

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Nogerivan, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I'm currently using it, vray is too advance for me...
    anyone has experience using mental ray?
    perhaps can share what are those setting mean in renderer tab

2. Monty

Monty Governor

They are both pretty similar, but the settings have different names. There are a lot of tutorials for mental ray and vray around the internet. If you want something easier, check out nicko2u's tutorial using Scanline renderer.

3. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

thanks monty..I already test using nicko tutorial but the result is not right, I got a pixelated weird baked texture, not sure what I'm doing wrong...so I using mental ray
    and now I start to got some problem with it and it never happen before
    Capture.JPG
    I got some white area that seems like not rendered. I try to remap the 2nd channel with different spacing and that white thingy just move to other area, it never gone...so I think maybe it something wrong with the mental ray setting
    any clue what causing it?

4. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Nice, another way to do lightmap. But what about UV mapping? How this will blend together with diffuse and other maps?

5. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

like if You use other method..mapped on 2nd channel displacement slot
    and make sure You don't have any overlapped uv so that problem up there doesn't happen