1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginners Modding Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by PaulJChris, Sep 14, 2014.

1. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

As you may be aware we are currently putting together a set of modular tutorials to help new modders get through the steep learning curve of designing , building and importing their first building into the game.

As such it would be helpful for any aspiring modders to post here, giving some basic details about their skill level and what they would like to see explained in more detail about the process of creating a new building.

Include:
    3dsmax skill level : None, basic , intermediate or advanced
    Photoshop or equivilent image editing software experience : None , basic, intermediate or advanced
    Whether or not you have already managed to import a building into the game
    Any specific parts of the modding a building process that you would like to see covered in more detail.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I started with zero 3dsmax knowledge and very little Photoshop experience and can remember how daunting the process can seem. With your input , we hope to make these tutorials as good and as helpful as possible so please take this opportunity to post if you are interested in learning how to mod buildings for CXL.

2. luis diogo

luis diogo Elite

More than a month and no answers??
    Well Paul, i don't know if i will be able to mod, but i'm becoming more interested in that. So, as for the questions you ask:

3dsmax skill level: basic (very)

Photoshop or equivilent image editing software experience: basic

Whether or not you have already managed to import a building into the game: i did some plazas as well as some no collision and overwater buildings. Don't know if this classifies though.

Any specific parts of the modding a building process that you would like to see covered in more detail: my idea is going step by step. I would like to learn the process of retexturing an ingame building. I think that could be very helpfull even for future original buildings.

Basically, i would like to know:

How to search for a building
    How to open it and which software to use in order to apply new textures
    Some instructions on how to retexture (are there already made maps, should we create new ones...how should we handle this, working with the model or just maps, etc)
    Instructions about LODs and nightlights (assuming ingame buildings already got them)
    How to place it in game without replacing original buildings

I think starting with retexturing can be a good step for a learning curve.
    Second spet would be taking an already existing model but external and placing it into game, making the necessary adaptations, incluiding game specs.
    Later may come proper and original models.

3. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

4. luis diogo

luis diogo Elite