1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Citiesxl Platinum Be Played Normally With Compressed Files

Discussion in 'Game Play Support' started by chocolate_city, Oct 20, 2014.

1. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

Sim City 4 had DatPacker.. a compression utility that allowed you to play the game with many of the plugins compressed. it was buggy and unfortunately when the files were compressed ... don't quote me on this, but I think they couldn't be uncompressed... I had lost lots of plug ins in this manner, and not so foolish as to not copy my files before compressing them.. My plug-in folder has reached 10 gbts and at least 95 percent of them I don't want to play with out... any suggestions and or help would greatly appreciated.

2. Monty

Monty Governor

the patch files are already compressed.

3. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

Well I did say any help would be appreciated... uhhh thanks

4. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

OK let me rephrase this... Can the patch files which I now know are already compressed by compressed as you can with Sim City 4 DatPacker... which by the way takes compressed files of .dat file and compresses them with other files of your selection ...... Or maybe this will make more sense... does CitiesXL have anything like Sim Citiy 4 DatPacker ....

5. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't believe we have any tools to compress patch files further than they've already been.

6. Monty

Monty Governor

why you want to compress the files? a) they are already compressed. b) it will make the game load/run slower c) I'm not an expert but I think you still need enough free space disk to uncompress a compressed file, which defeats the only purpose to compress the files.

If what you want is to have ONE single file containing all the mods, you can unpack them all, merge all the folder and pack it again using one of the packer tools available. It will likely fuck up your game, but you can try it.

7. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

First off ... thank you both for responding so quickly ... and secondly, I was just thinking of ways to save space ... since getting a new hard drive is not an option for me at this time... and considering that I'd like to get a solid state HD I didn't want to clutter it up with this game... considering that space is precious on SSD. Obviously compression is not the way to go... I think I can come up with some alternatives ....

8. Monty

Monty Governor

you should consider using your ssd for the system and some programs and a regular disk for things like this game until you can get a ssd with more capacity.

9. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Compressing them further would make the loading of the game really slow. If the patch files are only loaded once though it could be feasible. I'm unsure if the game continuously reads the patch files or it caches them.
    As there is no current way of compressing them, something would have to be coded. You would need knowledge on how the game deals with files while it's running.

10. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

Thanks guys ... your help kept me from making a major mistake with my game... Monty ... I think I already said what you replied.. but thanks for mentioning it...