1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Someone Teach Me To Create A Building?

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Mets, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Mets

Mets Skilled Worker

Hey modders,

I think it's finally time I learned how to model buildings and import them into the game. The problem is, I can't find any good tutorials on this. I don't care about learning to model a tank, or a human face, or a lightbulb, or anything like that. I just want to learn enough to create a few new buildings for this community.

I don't mind going on youtube and learning to use the basic tools in 3dsmax, but beyond that I can't seem to find anything useful. There's a tutorial on this site explaining how to import models from sketch up, and I've been looking through google's 3d warehouse but it seems like a waste of time. Many of the models are nothing more than cubes with bad textures. There do seem to be a few decent models, but even those have ugly reflections on their windows or shadows from neighboring buildings.

So, if I am willing to listen to you, is anyone willing to be my tudor on this? To take me from scratch all the way through to the end product on just one model so that I can learn?

kipate likes this.
  2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I've spent my whole afternoon trying to learn 3DS Max and have been using these tutorials

It's pretty easy to follow. I was quite surprised how quick I was picking up the shortcuts and how to use the tools.
    As for getting them into the game, I'm sure there was some tutorials on the old XLN

kipate likes this.
  3. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

A start to finish guide to designing , building and importing a building for beginners is being worked on at the moment by myself and Monty with input from some other modders on this site that will do just what you ask.

Modules 1 and 2 are already posted in the Tutorials section, we are working on the modelling of an example building from start to finish for the next few modules.

It is encouraging to see fresh modders looking to start the learning curve since we do need some more active modders here. We shall be happy to assist you on your journey.