1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities XXL Can't create a new city

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Willer Bononi, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

I don't know what's happening but I can't create a new city on maps that aren't from the original from the game. Somebody please help me !

2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

You will need a more detailed description of the problem and post the .log file.

3. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

That's very odd. It doesn't crash the game, you select the map in the gallery and click "Create your City" and nothing happens. The dialog to create a city doesn't appear, but if I select a original map the dialog appears normally. I found out that if you click in the white dot of a non original map in the globe, the dialog appears.
    Now, I removed all non original maps but two. The gallery had 46 pages with all, now there are only 10, and now I can create a city with a non original map ! There must be some limitations to add new maps. I tried to reduce to 43 pages, as I remember it's been like that for sometime and I had no problems, but it didn't work... How can we fix that?
    If it helps, I put all maps in a "Maps" folder under the "Paks\Mods" folder

4. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Go to:
    C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XXL\live\offline\solo
    Delete all of the ~NameOfMap_slotmap.cxl~ files of all the maps not in use.
    Note: the names of maps may not be exactly like the .cxl file names, but should be close enough to distinguish which map it pertains to.

Do not delete:
    adat.cxl
    solocfg.cxl
    tradematrix.cxl

Drazicdesign likes this.
  5. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

it worked !!! Thanks a lot mate !

6. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

Oh no, it's not working. It worked the first time. Now, it crashes when loading the main menu... Tried several times

7. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

Well, that's final... My Cities XXL is not working anymore.

8. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

I can make it work only once a time, it loads normally any map or city saved, but when I click to return to the main screen, it goes out to the desktop, and I open it again, after the loading screen it tries to show the menu and then crash... There's something to do with Steam and those cxl slotmaps
    Here I is how I can make it load once:
    - Delete all slotmaps.clx files
    - Disconnect from Internet
    - Open Cities XXL.
    It's ok just once.

9. ronrn

ronrn Governor

be sure to only delete all the .clx files of maps not in use.
    or
    Try backing up your cities and clearing the "solo" folder and then start the game with no saved cities or maps to load. (remove any custom map .patch files from the mods folder also)

Note: the answer may very well be recorded in the ".log" file so it will help to post it here.

10. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

I did what you asked, remove all maps from mods folder, cleaned the solo folder (only those 3 files remained) and started the game... as soon that steam dialog appeared "Preparing Cities XXL to start", the solo folder has been filled with all those clx files and the saved folders again. And when the main menu should appear, it crashed.

Here's the content of the last log file :

11. ronrn

ronrn Governor

go ahead and delete these 3 files:
    adat.cxl
    solocfg.cxl
    tradematrix.cxl
    and try again, if the game starts it will replace them with new ones.

But before you try starting the game again, go to steam and do the "verify integrity of game cache" thing.
    Might as well clear the "shadercache" folder too, couldn't hurt.

If none of this works, the only thing left that I can think of is a "clean" reinstall of the game.

12. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

I did exactly what you said, and now it gives a message "There are missing mods which needs other mods to work correctly, the application will now exit to allow steam to download it"....
    I remember this one has a solution, but I can't remember what it is.

13. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

Afff... a clean reinstall on the way.

14. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

Well, it sucks. The problem remains with a new and clean installation.

15. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Did you try to start with no mods in the mods folder?
    Did Steam dl any mods?

16. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

Here's what is happening:

I did a clean install, but I could see when I start the game, Steam brings back all that old files in the solo folder. But that message about missing mods was stopping the game. So I went to steam community and searched for an answer, then I found out that I had to delete a folder inside the content folder. So with this one the game started but with the same problem... So I remember that deleting the file "prototypedb.bin" would force the game to rebuild it with no mods. So this time it worked, the game showed up with the original map pages (9) and no mods.
    But when I put the mods back, the problem raised again.

17. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Are you subscribed to any Steam mods? If so, unsubscribing first may help. Steam mods can be troublesome.
    Then install the dependency mods first (from XLNation), before adding anything else.

Seems I remember when I did my install, quite some time ago, I had to let Steam install the Community Mod and then replace it with the one from XLNation.

18. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

ronrn, the problem is the Ravinoche map !

I removed all the mods and it worked ok, then I put the mods in root mods folder, and worked again ok. So I decided to put the maps folder but only the maps I had a city - Altair, industrial map and Ravinoche - and the issue came back... so I removed Ravinoche and it worked !

EDIT : Oops... I stand corrected, there are more maps making trouble, I will have to put one by one...

19. Willer Bononi

Willer Bononi Executive

Ok, this is very tiresome... It seems Steam that messes with all this mods stuff. I'm having to put mods one by one so steam synchronizes them...

20. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Not sure what you mean by this (synchronizes them).

Anyone else out there having trouble with these maps?