1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities Skylines traffic jams - because of memory shortage??

Discussion in 'General Forums' started by msFiorentina, Nov 18, 2015.

1. msFiorentina

msFiorentina Executive

Hi all, ive been playing cities skylines and im in my first game (city). After I reached around 100.000 ctizens the traffic in my city started acting strange;
    -Cars and trucks would just stop in the middel of the road and do nothing for like 10-12 seconds and then continue driving. This causes a lot of unnecessary traffic problems. (circled the situations)
    Screenshot_28.jpg
    Screenshot_30.jpg
    Screenshot_32.jpg
    Ive have actually SEEN this turbo-exchanger work like a charm... before the strange acting of traffic
    Screenshot_24.jpg
    -Also, my trains cant seems to leave the city fast enough, they just wait for each other to disappear beyond city limits but this goes at a very slow rate.
    Screenshot_21.jpg

Screenshot_15.jpg

Can this be because of memory shortage (only 8gb here on a i5) so too many cars have to recalculated their route?
    And cant the trains leave because of memory shortage so it cant process the actual goods going out fast enough?

Do others face the same problems?

2. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Do other vehicles move, when some of them stop randomly? Or all vehicles stop at the same time?

3. msFiorentina

msFiorentina Executive

The cars stop and others cars just drive on in lanes next to them. The circled areas is where the cars stopped moving as the rest is still driving, except for the line of cars behind them of course.
    Also, traffic is converging in a very strange way as cars change lane (and hold up traffic) to get immediately back to where they were driving

4. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

That's really strange. Maybe there is some conflict or corrupted mods. I have 65k city and run it on 6GB RAM, Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz CPU and never noticed this kind of behaviour, only some microfreezes that freezes everything at once.

5. msFiorentina

msFiorentina Executive

I found the problem in the Traffic ++ mod.
    I had improved AI turned on, when I turned it off traffic started moving again... but now only using one lane again. :(

Also I noticed that when you build a highway, do so in large pieces. Small pieces will result in cars treating every piece apart wich will allow them to switch lanes at every piece.

In this picture I had build the bridge and build the turbine interchange, i connected them with later with a small curve. I got major traffic problems as cars would switch lanes at the very last moment beforee the interchange. I rebuild the bridge with curve as one piece and the problem was solved.
    Screenshot_24.jpg

Trains still cant seem to leave the city with normal speed as they still stop and wait at the edge of the map to go out of sight

6. msFiorentina

msFiorentina Executive

I "solved" the "train traffic jam problems" by building stuff like this outside the city limits...
    Screenshot_128.png
    Screenshot_133.png
    Screenshot_134.png

a real shame.....

Mr.X² likes this.