1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities XL Map Editor - Where to find?

Discussion in 'Cities XXL Resource Discussions' started by lgsella, Apr 5, 2015.

1. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

Hi everyone, i'm searching Map Editor for download, but can't find it anywhere. There're some links out there, but are all old and corrupted. Does anybody have a link that works or may upload the files to the site?

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

3. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

4. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

Funky Monk, sorry, but there's a trouble. The file "Map Making Files.rar" doesn't include the Cities XL Map Editor. As you can see in the image, those are the only files and folders that came into the .rar. I have the World Machine installed here, just need the Map Editor. Do you know where i could find it or could you upload it to xlnation?

Attached Files:

5. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

6. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

The Funky Monk likes this.
  7. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

Funky, let me bother you a little more :).

I'm trying to do some maps by my self, but i'm finding troubles, even following your instructions in the tutorial. The map in question is of São Paulo, Brasil and the game version is XXL.

Well, i built it on my way in World Machine, exported the files, imported to Map Editor and exported the .patch for test, replacing an original map. The original file was taken off as you did in the tutorial, but the game crashes when i create a city with the new map. I have no idea of what could be happening. Think i commited some mistake in World Machine while building or exporting the files because all after that i did following the tutorial.

Here is the scheme of World Machine: the intention is to do a flat map with these crossing rivers
    teste mapa.png

A detail is that the shadowmap.bmp has the same origin of the colourmap.bmp. Both files are, in pratice, the same. It happened because i didn't know how to do it in my map as you did in the tutorial, so i venture to let this way. Could it be the mistake?

Here is the 3D view of the map in World Machine: Could be the height too tall? mapa 3d.png

Colourmap file
    colourmap.jpg

Shadowmap file
    colourmap.jpg

Hope you can help me. I'm stucked and don't know how to go in front!

Thanks for all.

Attached Files:

8. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey mate.

First, flat maps are the hardest to get to work. In the map editor, where you import your heightmaps, click on the edit button. A new window will appear. Down the bottom of this window are two sliders. Min and max. First you need to unlock the padlock on the right of the sliders. The min slider will be for the lowest point on your map, max the highest. The silly thing with the min sliders is that if you move it to the left, it raises the water. So if you load the map in the game and the water is to high, go back to the editor and move the slider to the right.

For a flat map you need to play around with those sliders until it opens in the game. This can take 5 or even 20 attempts. Possibly the most frustrating part. But at least when it opens on the game you have something to work with.
    For the shadowmap, you need another device, called normal map maker, before the output device.

Here's a pic.

Untitled-6_zpsb103ae1b.jpg

That will create the purple shadowmap for you.

Lastly, your workflow is fine. Although you don't the inverter device.

lgsella likes this.
  9. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

Dude, i would like to come back here and say "YES, IT WORKS!!!", but no... I still couldn't make that fuc*%$@ map work. :b2:

I tried, "oh, my God do i tried". I've lost the count, but were many more than twenty times. o_O Well, is there some tip for the Min - Max values? I tried various different combinations and every time the game crashes when loading the city created with the new map. The sliders must to be closer or futher apart one each other? The "working area" is a very fine tune or there's a relatively larger area?

10. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah it's super annoying.

Try putting the min slider on .06 and max all the way to the right. It will probably look crap but if it works you can at least start lowering the terrain until you get it right.

What map are you using as a base?

11. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

Keep trying here and nothing... :D Thinking at give up of the flat map. I'm using RockyDesert_01 as a base.

12. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Tonight when I jump on the coputer I'll see what settings I have for the beach map. Is there any reason why you're using the Rocky desert map?

13. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

Any special reason, the choose was aleatory, but i tried with other maps and none worked. Today i tested a non flat map and, again, the game brake when loading a city created with the new map. I'm using Cities XXL and have installed several mods and the Community Mod, could it be a compatibility problem? It's wierd cause i just generated the .patch file that should not have issues with the interface or other elements.

14. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

It will be because of the water level that gets ser with the min/max sliders.

I went to a birthday party last night so I didn't get a chance to jump on the pc. I'll do it tonight.

15. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey mate, try these settings.

Use beach_01 map
    Min = 0.110
    Max = 0.276

If all else fails you can just stick a little hill in the corner of your map and terraform it flat when you load your city.

16. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

I'll do it! When i have a time i'll test several different configurations. Just need this time to sit and make calmly, but it's hard to find! :D

The Funky Monk likes this.
  17. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

Hey, mate!

After lots of tries, the map is working! I rebuilt on World Machine, ajusted the height and inserted some hills as you said. Now everything is loading and the game doesn't crash anymore. But there's a problem: the resources are not being inserted in the map. In the game, they're the same of the original map. Is it be cause i'm using the .patch file? Do i must to export the "data" and make all the next process of the tutorials (that makes me lazy :D)?

18. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

No, you can use your resource layout with a patch file.

In the picture below, you have to put your resource files in to the corresponding spot. One thing you will have to do is load those resource files into a image editor(PS, paint.net etc) and flip them horizontally. Then they will be the right way around in the game.

When you import the files, in the box that says Empty, it will show a picture of your resource layout.

Untitled-2.jpg

19. lgsella

lgsella Skilled Worker

Yes, Funky, i did it. Even used the files of the your tutorial. "White" for full resources and the "citylink", but it's not working. Must I do something beyond that?

20. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

It's been awhile since I checked to see if resources work with patch files. Continue onto making the UIM and they will work. If you don't plan on releasing the map or are going to use full resources anyway, you can always use sandbox mode and tell people that it is sandbox only.