1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities Xxl, Experience So Far...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by eano, Feb 9, 2015.

1. eano

eano Skilled Worker

Hi XL Nation, been a little while since I last posted, wanted to give some feedback on what I've seen in XXL so far. Downloaded it over the weekend and spent a few hours in game. The good news is that it didn't crash once, but then again, I'm not running any mods outside of the ones in the Workshop and my city was only 150K capacity. While it used all cores, it seemed to heavily use the first.

The biggest thing that struck me was the removal of features and items. I can't remember how the previous versions of XL looked pre-UIM, so please forgive me if I mention items that have been added through UIM.
    - Didn't see an option to select road types when creating a city (German vs. USA vs. UK etc)
    - Building straight bridges is not an option (straight and 45 degree angle options are not there)
    - A junction was removed from the Highway section (frustrating because it was the one I wanted!)
    - The distinction between business and leisure hotels is lost (was this a UIM feature?)
    - Yes, the trading resets to zero when reloading a city (sad face)

Some good points -
    - The skyboxes are a great addition
    - Even though the UI updates are merely a re-skin, they are easier on the eye and work for me.
    - The sound FX are a tad better. I mean just a small little bit better, no creaking. Still ended up muting them.

Will be great to hear from you other city builders, what have you all found?

kipate likes this.
  2. PlayTime

PlayTime Unskilled Worker

i know i sound very noobish but.... where is the pedestrian paths??? i cant find them in game

3. eano

eano Skilled Worker

Forgot to mention that one. Nope, not in XXL so far.

4. kipate

kipate Governor

Do the buildings still have letters on that say 'office' or 'factory',
    or was that removed?

5. PlayTime

PlayTime Unskilled Worker

Well that sux hopefully all the missing things will be restored in a future update

6. Spock

Spock Executive

that really sucks..yeah

road option are available,not sure though maybe you create a city on paris or hollywood map
    option.JPG

if not mistaken,in 2012 the bridge orientation is only available through UIM also

7. eano

eano Skilled Worker

Thanks Spock, somehow overlooked the road selection!

Actually reminds me of another issue, the distinction between standard and sandbox gameplay.

First question is what makes this different to just removing the building restrictions through the Cheat part of the menu. Is it just the resource availability map?

Secondly, I initially loaded the city in sandbox mode, built oil fields based on the availability (everywhere). I then fired up the game later, entered through the standard game option and reloaded my city. The resource areas had changed to just a couple streaks outside the area where the oil fields were. I immediately exited the city and got back to the start menu, reloaded the game mode as sandbox. The oil fields were still the same unfortunately. Had to exit out of the game and restart again to get the resource map to reset back to sandbox mode.

8. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

The bridge orientation was a UIM thing, no doubt Altiris will put that back in.

The Ped paths are a NEXL mod like the trams. I'd say most of those things will eventually make their way back I to the game.

9. JimmiG

JimmiG Unskilled Worker

The game is very "forgetful" currently. It doesn't seem to save properly. The state of the trading slider and the "expert mode" don't save, and it wouldn't surprise me if other aspects of the city don't get save either. Focus promised a patch for the trade issue, and hopefully all the related saving issues will get fixed too. We'll see, I guess.

10. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Sandbox mode gives you resources across the entire map, but you have to always click on 'Play sandbox' on the main menu. That is a UIM (or now Community Mod) feature...
    I'm not sure what you mean by:
    - The distinction between business and leisure hotels is lost (was this a UIM feature?)

There are business hotels (that are needed by Offices) and holiday hotels (that produce holiday tokens).

11. eano

eano Skilled Worker

Thank gbojanic and JimmiG,

Should have done a better job of getting my facts straight about the hotels, please ignore that comment and apologies! Created the message away from the game (excuses, excuses).

To boil the issues down more accurately:

Pros
    - The skyboxes are a great addition (and the increased lighting options)
    - Even though the UI updates are merely a re-skin, they are easier on the eye and work for me.
    - The sound FX are a tad better. I mean just a small little bit better, no creaking. Still ended up muting them.
    - <NEW> Being able to have a more graphic representation of the mods in Steam (better tracking of them)
    - <NEW> Addition of the new public transport option - Park and Ride

Cons
    - A junction choice was removed from the Highway section (frustrating because it was the one I wanted!)
    - Yes, the trading resets to zero when reloading a city (sad face)
    - <NEW> Not being able to easily import all of the XLN mods.
    - <NEW> Going through Steam to launch the game (more clicks plus the timer to tell you how much of your life was just spend in game)

All in all, very happy about the performance improvements and the fact that Focus decided to do more than just a handful of new buildings. I will be looking at making my existing mods compatible with XXL, still very much loving this game!!

Congats and thanks to all of you from this site who were involved with the development and testing!!!

gbojanic and luis diogo like this.
  12. bobdaktari

bobdaktari Vagabond

I've clocked up 15 hours ingame now and am generally happy - had hoped for more but I've been playing since the first version so expect to be disappointed by the franchise - really wanted rail I must admit

Hopeful it gets better and better with mods (thank you modders, you rock!) - I like steam, so like the workshop option

My biggest bugbear is bridges don't place like they once did, in simple language they are pigs now, not nearly the same flexibility and they want to put supports in the middle of roads, very frustrating for this user who believes there can never be too many bridges

The game runs ok, my computer is quite old now and in theory shouldn't be able to run the game but it does with no notable lags yet (biggest city is 600 K), fingers crossed

Given I got the 50% discount on purchase I am happier than when I got xl limited edition (10 ins game time) or platinum (less than half an hour)

kipate likes this.
  13. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Try this mod to make bridges (and everything else) a million times smoother:
    http://xlnation.city/resources/flexible-placement-mod.459/

14. bobdaktari

bobdaktari Vagabond

15. Skater27

Skater27 Executive

Any other additions besides multi-theading and skyboxes?
    Has the ski gem been fixed?

16. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I personally don't like the new filter for building. when I filter to something and forgot to reset it, I got nothing showing up when opening up the road menu..sometime it makes me wonder what the hell is happening, where is the bloody road

The Funky Monk likes this.
  17. Spock

Spock Executive

i think so too, that stupid filter didn't shows up on road but effecting it. how so?
    i remember uninstalling rhm bcause of that stuff, i thought it was the one causing my road to disappear