1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

City Landlords, An Urban Board Game

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by AzemOcram, Oct 28, 2014.

1. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

OK. I have put some of the finishing touched on my new board game, which I started working on 3 years ago. I have the board finalized (though I have to get $20~ posters of the board printed out and glue them onto folding foam board, though I have yet to master the glueing part down because it always buckles when folded). I have 10 high quality prints of each of the district cards.

Now, I just need to make the property blocks/units/game-pieces. I have a rough design on how I think they should look.

Here is the game board:

fJEwzCL.png

Here is my idea for the buildings:

rt9YIPw.png

Here are some examples of the districts:

S7L8uAI.png

2alFtpY.png

c8rMxkO.png

4a5plie.png

I am thinking about designing the buildings/pieces in 3Ds Max (since this will be for entertainment and educational purposes and not commercial purposes, and I will use my university email address to get the student version) and getting these printed out at the 3D printer at my university.

So, what do you all think of this?

--Ocram

2. metrocity345

metrocity345 Elite

This reminds me of the Monopoly board game.

As long as you don't get copyright infringements from Militon Bradley and Parker Bros.

3. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Really nice, Ocram! (y)

4. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

That's awesome that you're making a board game. I haven't played board games for years except for Mah jongg.
    While it does look like monopoly, the city building element looks interesting. Look forward to seeing the final product.

5. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

This is inspired by Monopoly, Monopoly City, and SimCity most of all. I recently finalized the design of the game board and printed out 2 posters (at a 50% discount). The most expensive thing by unit price so far is the board but the models of the buildings will most likely be far more expensive.

6. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

I made the 3D models of the buildings for use in my game adapted to Unity 3D. The computer game will have the exact same play as the physical board game I made months ago but look slightly better.

PeMshNw.png
    Here are all the Residential, Commercial, Industrial, and Skyscraper (landmarks) models.

--Ocram

Peter912 and Pamascus27 like this.
  7. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

I finished the new board and finalized the rules and the names of the properties.

Here is the board (this is shrunk down to 1/5 scale and is missing some details)

hlH04PR.png

What do you think of it now?

--Ocram

8. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

I have changed the rules and I'm in the process of making a vector-based game board (for better compatibility with printers and screens of different resolutions.

9. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

[​IMG]
    Newest 3D models, I plan on stretching the warehouse (Industry 1) taller, punching out windows on the house (Housing 1) and completely redoing the weird apartment (Housing 3), in addition to deepening the windows to be able to 3D print with the limitation of 0.25 mm details at minimum and 2x2cm dimensions.

royb 98 likes this.
  10. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

It's looking great! You definitely put a lot of effort in this. I hope you'll be able to show us a prototype soon.

I'm still wondering though what's the real difference with Monopoly. Could you explain the basics of the game?

11. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

Rules:

1. Setup: Each Developer starts with $20 million. Spend at least 50% of initial funds on Properties (not Utilities or Rail Stations) before moving.

2. Buy Properties to earn rent. If you don’t buy an unowned Property you land on, it goes up for auction with starting bid as 75% list price and you unable to bid below starting price.

3. Dice rolls determine movement unless you have a movement card from Chance. Rolling doubles, lets you move again, giving you an option to build again. Moving over 24 spaces from doubles gets you arrested for speeding.

4. Pay Day provides Developers with $5 million each time landed on or passed. You can build a stadium for $50 million on a Property in which you own the whole color group for $1 million extra each Pay Day. Limit 1 stadium per color group, 2 Stadiums per Developer, and 3 Stadiums per game. Commercial buildings cost the same as Residential and grant 10% of the rent value of the equivalent Residential at Pay Day.

5. Properties can’t be developed until its Developer passes them (bridges and trains bypass Properties) after purchase. You only need 1 Property to start building. Residential and Industrial buildings increase the rent value of your properties. Commercial buildings generate no rent but increase money earned on Pay Day. Properties can have up to 12 units of Residential + Industrial units and unlimited Commercial units as long as total spaces occupied by R, C, & I occupy 8 spaces or fewer. 3-unit, 1-tile buildings cost the same as 4 1-unit buildings and 4-unit, 1-tile buildings cost the same as 5.5 units

6. Industrial buildings remove income from Commercial and all NIMBY buildings remove income from Residential and Commercial. Bonus buildings prevent NIMBY buildings from being built but neither reduce the harm that Industrial has on Commercial nor prevent NIMBY from abandoned units.

7. Landing on Planning Permission allows you to build a 1-tile NIMBY building or a 4-tile Bonus building for no cost if you own no utilities or Rail Stations. Utilities allow their Developers to build a 3-tile Bonus or 2-tile NIMBY. NIMBY buildings cost the Property owner $500k per block to remove. Bonus buildings merely occupy prime real estate. Developers with Rail Stations can build up to 10 subway stops for $30 million each on any Property.

8. Rail Stations allow their owners to build subway stops during their turn. Subway stops allow any Developer to go between any Properties with subway stations or rail stations. Developers can advance to any other Property with a station as long as they pay the rent of both Properties. You must pay $500 to travel between your own Properties.

9. If you own all the Properties of one color set, you can build a skyscraper on it to double income. If you own all the Properties of 2 color groups, you can build the HQ, which doubles the income of every Property the builder owns. Skyscraper costs vary between Property colors. Only one HQ can be built per game and the Developer gets a 50% refund on their skyscraper if they built one before they built the HQ. The HQ costs $20 million.

10. The ferry between Seaside Park and Boardwalk charges $500 if you land on it. Developers who land on the corners between Union Station and Grand Cent Station may build the VIP Bridge for $50 million, where the builder charges others for passage (minimum $500, maximum $5 million). The VIP Bridge offers a shortcut without subways but still requires the Developer to move the amount of spaces specified by the dice (or card).

11. Landing on a Utility Company has a variable bill equal to the multiplier specified by the card times the value of 2 dice rolled.

12. If you don’t have enough money to pay rent to another Developer, you can mortgage Properties for their rent value, sell R/C/I for 75% cost (paying full price to rebuild), or abandon R/C/I for 50% cost (allowing you to repay that to fix them back up but turns the R/C/I units into NIMBY until then).

13. A time limit (such as 2 hours) or turn limit (such as after everyone has gone 50 turns) can be implemented to shorten the playtime. If the game is ended before everyone besides one goes bankrupt, the Developer with the greatest net worth wins. Otherwise, the last Developer standing wins.

14. Jail time, bail amount, and impact of dice rolls for getting out of jail depend on Ethics Points of Developers. Without Ethics points, arrests result in 4 skipped turns AND $4 million fine. Ethics Points decrease fine by $500k each; Corrupt Points increase jail time by 1 turn each. Developers can pay $3 million per skipped turn to get out early but they can still do everything from jail besides move. If enough ethics points have been earned to eliminate the bail, each subsequent point removes a skipped turn until arrests only set you back without slowing you down at 12 Ethics points and speeding goes unnoticed at 14 Ethics points.

Extra Info

Base rent = 10% Property price
    Rent with 1 block = 5x base rent
    12 block rent = 180x 1 block = 90x Property price = 900x base
    Residential Price = 1 block rent of most expensive Property in color group
    Industrial Price = 2x Residential Price, Skyscraper Price = 2x Industrial Price

EDIT: I attached a PDF of the deeds, with one brown and one cyan property missing in order to fit 8 to a page evenly.

Attached Files:

royb 98 likes this.