1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Could I Find A Partner To Export My Models?

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by adnoxaei, Feb 11, 2015.

1. adnoxaei

adnoxaei Vagabond

Years ago (around 2007), I took 3D animation and modeling classes and was part of a 3D modeling high school club. I even won 1st place for a couple of years at a county fair for one the larger metropolitan areas in the US, so I had some skill. I purchased a lifetime copy of 3ds Max 8, so I also have professional grade modeling software, but I see online that the exporter is only for 3ds Max 2012. I need to brush up on my skills some and find time to do this, but I was wondering if there was a way to partner up with someone and if 3ds Max 8 models will be useful for someone to even export in the more recent version (Is there some more advanced part that I'd be lacking?). I don't mind buildings I create being exported and uploaded by another user if the person simply lists 3D modeling credit to me in the description of the end result.

I'm also not quite sure where to really start. I've gathered that cm are the scale and 40m x 40m is at least one of the plot sizes. Should I scour the web for information or is there a particular site/thread that I should start with that has up to date (or at least CXL Platinum) information available?

I own XL, XL 2011, XL 2012, and XL Platinum, but decided against paying for XXL until it is less than $10 (It doesn't seem like much of an upgrade, so $20 was too high of a cost) if that helps any of this effort.

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

You can get the student version of max 2013. I think you can import from 08 to the newer version but if you do get 2013 it's much easier to use.

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

great to see more and more people are interested in modding for cx(x)l :)

there are four ways you could export your models:
    1. ask someone (maybe altiris) if they still have a copy of cxl-exporter for max2008
    2. get 3ds max 2012 for free at autodesk educational site
    3. i can of course export the model to a sgbin file for you (and of course you will be the owner and get all credits for)
    4. im not 100% sure about that, but the new exporter is a standalone software, which means you can use different softwares (for example max 2008) without a plugin to export your models to cxl

and about the specifications etc. you can take a look at my very-basic-3d moddeling tutorial (and since you already know the 3d-modeling part, just leave this out and focus on the stuff which is important for cxl-modding ;) )
    or just take a look at tutorial section here in general and get the cxl-technical-modding guide which contains all specifications

http://xlnation.city/resources/categories/modding.30/

4. adnoxaei

adnoxaei Vagabond

Sadly, I have 3ds Max 8 and not 3ds Max 2008. The naming convention went from single numbers to years after 3ds Max 9, so mine is basically the 2006 version. Haha I feel old for having software from before the change in naming schemes. I'll look into the new exporter and play around with it. It appears to work with .max files, so maybe it'll work with older .max files too. I hope so! If not, then I'll have to see how different the UI is for 2012 and download the newer version from Autodesk.

Thank you for the link to your tutorials and offering help :) I hope I can make some nice things for XL Nation.

5. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor