1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Developer Diary #4: Public Transit

Discussion in 'General Forums' started by TotalyMoo, Nov 4, 2014.

1. TotalyMoo

TotalyMoo Paradox Community Manager

Hello!

We just released a new developer diary on public transit, check it out and let us know what you think! :)

http://pdxint.cc/1upJUlm

kipate likes this.
  2. Ole

Ole Executive

That looks nice, a couple of things though:
    -are the airport and harbours modular? CXL started with just pre built harbors and airports that were unrealistic and small. But then the great modder Aitortilla01 brought us the modular airport pack and the modular harbour pack which, I think, you can find in the resourced tab, if already imported to the new site. Now everybody uses the modular mods, and the original in game harbours and airport are 'hated' ;)
    -another thing, just good to know, the average airport runway is 2,5 kilometres long
    -I hope you will also feature small suburbs train stations and large downtown stations (like the Milan train station)

Thanx for concidering

3. TotalyMoo

Right now the airports and harbors are not modular, but we know the players want to see this feature and it's being considered.

4. Miguel

Miguel Governor

Judging by the pictures you have been posting there is no reason to expect a real alternative city builder game. It's my oppinion so far. I had high hopes that finally a city building game without the usual issues we all know from CXL is arising. Honestly I'm very desapointed. As you might know we city builders and moders have been struggling a lot to get CXL becoming more enjoyable, playable as well.
    Simply take a look at the cities built in CXL and stuff created by "our" moders to have a more accurate sense of how most of people in this community have contributed to improve the game. Thereby you'll get a better idea about the actual expectations of people who really enjoy this type of games.

luis diogo likes this.
  5. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Umm I suspect those busses, and trains etc are not the final versions but basic placeholders to they can test game play. The eyecandy is always finished last. This game is still in development

6. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

It's looks pretty cool, will the train cargo container loader be animated? just wondering.

also as @IcyHot mentions we presume all textures we see are not final version just basic alpha colors/textures. Might pay to mention that for those that don't know :)

7. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

as Oly mentioned the Airport strip looks a bit short? they must have some good brakes, reverse engine boost to stop them :)
    Anyways good to see you guys just have the flying landing stuff down. few tweaks I guess.

y7OHtPE.png

8. Helter_Skelter

Helter_Skelter Unskilled Worker

For me to be honest the biggest question is how open to modding this game will be...

If it will be given a lot of flexibility to modding then the only limit is the sky, and small things can be fixed.

E.g. the airport is really small and completely unrealistic, or the entrance of the metro occupies too much extra space.
    But again with mods like modular airport, harbor and different metro entrances everything can be solved.

The other big question is how well the game will handle a big city ( 1 mil. plus) because let's be honest, none is interested in building a village of 50,000 inhabitants...

Anyway overall I like what I've seen so far, keep up the good work!

9. kipate

kipate Governor

Hmmh, that looks very promising so far, you even double-splitted it into freight and passenger,
    as well as intercity and inner-city trains. That gets a big like!
    I agree with @Helter_Skelter that the metro stops look a bit unrealistic right now, I don't mean
    the textures, I really mean the quadratic shape... IRL, such stops are either pretty tiny,
    or they are extra wide and look like gateways to chateaus, see e.g. Vienna...
    @Miguel CXL also looked very odd at early stages...

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

there alpha cargo trains look nice.
    EIicgV4.png

11. kipate

kipate Governor

well, I hope it will be easy to change the slope of then bridges, too ;)
    any case, the train looks better than the heavy industry buildings...

12. Rene

Rene Executive

Thanks for posting, I loved every bit of it.

And omg, I cannot believe the community, they addressed a major set of transportation, public, which is a vital part of playing a city and it's traffic, the features are gonna be fine. And obviously it's dev graphics. But what a cry for eye-candy began. Shame on u :p

Anyhow what they have for rail is setting inner city transport lines this was the goal of NEXL too, but it faded away to an eye-candy issue.

We don't won't such happening. Eye-candy in CXL is one of the big reasons why there is a huge lagggg. It's not only core issue.

But yeah, certainly some modularity would be nice like in SC5, I dunno if that's implemented in Skylines or if it's just this section of the section that don't (yet?) have that.

What's the next dev diary gonna be? Can we at some point see how civics function, civics are big part of the game. Many people doomed SC4 hard as people didn't understood, despite advisors, to focus a bit on education to get high technology, should affect office demand as well.

Also how is retail and tourism? Hopefully there are more retail buildings than what CXL has, the lack of retail buildings in CXL resulted to that retail demand was pushed to ultra low, and nothing but number of citizens in city affected it.

13. TotalyMoo

14. Rene

Rene Executive

Thanks for the poll TotallyMoo.

Btw, about rail, in IRL, it is usually that cars bypass on bridges and rail goes under bridge, opposite to what the build system and given images portray, so I hope we can set road bridges and rail under :)

Waiting for the next dev diary!

15. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Except irl cars also go under rail bridges. They also go over on level crossings.

Also, as the game has road bridges and rail can be placed on the ground, you would have to say that roads going over rail is probable.

kipate likes this.
  16. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

I'm surprised that with all the requests for railways in Cities: XL that there haven't been any demands to make rail in Cities: Skylines like Train Fever :LOL:

But seriously... Skylines appears to be progressing well, I'm looking forward to it's release and if it generates an active modding community like CXL has, I think I'll be very happy with Skylines.

kipate likes this.
  17. Rene

Rene Executive

I'm just thinking.. Cities: Ckylines - yet there is no day/night cycle yet alone nightlights, how are we suppose to view out skylines at dusk or dawn? Anyhow I hope it's released in some update. CO/Paradox actually updates it's games some good 2 years after launch.

18. luis diogo

luis diogo Elite

Exactly what i think!
    I guess it's nice to have a playable game in it's strategic sense, looking to balance things, keep population happy, etc. But my priority will always be visuals and the creativity we can get out of our cities. And realism is mandatory from that point of view. I'm not going for a cartoonish game linke Sim City, that's for sure.

I know this is not final art and so i just hope you have this in mind when finishing textures. And Rene i'm not sure CLX has so many problems due to visuals. Just look at the astonishing visuals we can find in modern games who works pretty fine. Problem is the game works only with one core and there are probably errors in code. I'm hoping a current game can take advantage of more powerfull PC's available nowdays and can combine playability with a realistic feel and quality visuals.

For me, doesn't make any sense creating a modern city builder that needs to abdicate from one of this features.

Miguel likes this.
  19. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

This looks pretty good. It is not as far along as Cities XL but Cities XL has been out since 2009 and it is downright unfair to compare a game that has been out for years and has had expansion packs to a game that has not even been released yet. Also, I tend to use the large harbors in Cities XL because they look like really cool cruise ship terminals with marinas, perfect for tourist areas. I look forward to playing Cites: Skylines. I am also glad that the City Building genre has had a revival. Now would probably be a perfect time for Medieval Mayor to get finished but really, Cities Skylines looks far better than anything Tilted Mill ever made, LOL.

--Ocram

20. TotalyMoo

Hehe yeah we have a tendency to create games that are easy to add to ^_^