1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Edit model texture - please help.

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by araneae, Feb 26, 2015.

1. araneae

araneae Vagabond

Hi all

I've been trying to slightly alter some of the textures of the vanilla buildings - nothing serious, just trying to see if I can make a couple of 'variations' of the same building by giving it a new roof colour, etc.

I this even possible?
    I've seen a couple of online tutorials but it's either outdated or missing images (rather confusing trying to follow the instructions when there's no pics)
    http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/40271-texture-modding-quickstart/

I can unpack a patch file and unpack the sgbin files to get to the textures.
    I think my issue comes with repacking and renaming the sgbin file - from what I understand you can't just go and change the file name, it will just crash the game.

At first I used the CitiesXLPackUnpack.exe but the sgbin repack feature needs you to enter a name (16characters) - if I change the name of this repacked sgbin file to correspond with the rest of the mod the game crash as soon as I select the mod in the menu (I can see the small icon in menu but game crash when I select it.
    If I change all the file names and info in the .class file to be the same as the name that I entered upon repacking the sgbin it just creates a duplicate of the vanilla building ingame.

I then found the above mentioned tutorial but found it rather hard to follow without screenshots, especially the hex editing!
    Also looked at this thread but it also tells you to follow the instructions in above mentioned tutorial.
    http://xlnation.city/resources/duplicating-road-sgbin-files.165/

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

Mr.X² likes this.
  3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

yes it is possible to retexture buildings (without replacing them)
    i havent done this myself yet so i cant really help you myself, but as far as i remember @Alex24 (or at least) someone made a tutorial for.
    what i definitely know is @Drazicdesign recently made a lot of retextured buildings, im sure he can give you some hints bout that :)
    if the game crashes it can be a mistake in a class file or a wrong edited sgbin. can you post a log-file so we can take a look?

4. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Can you post log-file.
    and your mod.patch for look it.
    Please

5. araneae

araneae Vagabond

thanks for all the help - following the video I managed to replace textures of models. :)

Do you perhaps know of a video that shows how to make a copy of the building so you have two versions, the original and the one with the altered textures? :|
    Just editing the name of the sgbin file does not seem to work?

It's what I'm trying to do, making a copy of a building with different textures.

6. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

thats quite easy, you only need to rename it, so it has a unique name...
    means: class-file & sgbin-file (layout-file can stay the same since you dont change anything there). dont forget to adjust model-paths in class file to the new name ;)

7. araneae

araneae Vagabond

thanks again - not working for me though.

I've managed to make a copy of the building by changing the .class file and I can modify and replace the textures of an existing building but when I edit the name of the sgbin file the game crash as soon as I click the icon in the build menu.
    I did update the .class file to point to the edited sgbin file.

Uploaded the building I was testing with here - perhaps some kind soul can take a look.

There are 3 versions - the original, the one with altered textures that does not crash and the last where the sgbin file's name was edited.

8. araneae

araneae Vagabond

OK - think I got it sorted

Used the hex editor to change the sgbin and model names of the .sg and model files.
    Also changed names of all files inside the sgbin file.
    Now have two working versions of the building!
    :) :)

thanks for the help!

9. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

It is necessary to you to edit again the .sgbin file
    Here is a tutoriel he is in French! He can certainly help you.
    http://www.forum-gc.com/t2701-etape-n6-edition-d-un-sgbin

The file .class is good.
    The .Layout file is good.
    The file .dds is good.

Otherwise I can edit the texture on your place