1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Edzo Map, City Building Contest, Spring 2017

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Mr.X², Feb 6, 2017.

1. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Edzo Map, City Building Contest, Spring 2017​

City Building will take place between February - April 2017. City Builders may submit up to 10 photos by May 1, 2017, for judging in the Official Contest Submission Thread. Winners will be announced May 31, 2017. Winners will be awarded special "banners" that will be displayed under their avatar on XLNation.

The Rules:
    1. Your City must be built on the Edzo Map produced by @skullz613 (Thanks for doing this!!)
    2. Build any type of city you like.
    3. No restrictions on patches or mods
    4. Submit up to 10 Photos in an official thread by May 1, 2017 in the designated forum thread: Official Edzo Map Contest Submissions 2017
    5. You are free to choose your game version (XL or XXL or CSL) (a special overview must prove you built within CXL map limits when participating wih CSL)
    6. Every member of XLNation is invited to take part

How to?
    Just download Edzo Map and start building a city you like on it. No limits, just fun! You can discuss and post pictures about your cities / the competition here.

The Spirit of Community
    Share your work as you progress in the building period. Encourage each other. Bystanders can cheer on their favorites. Remember, this is a game and we are supposed to have FUN. This contest is not about the biggest city but the best in various categories. Everyone on XLNation will be able to vote for their favourite citys and a jury will choose the winners of each category when submissions are done.

Cities will be considered for the following Awards

Win, Place, Show (Voted by the Community) -- Unique Medal and 15/10/5 Trophy Points

Category Winners will get a Unique Medal and Trophy Points, These will be awarded by a judging panel.

The categories are:
    • Best rural or farm region
    • Best "Green" City
    • Best "Industrial" City
    • Best RHM interchanges and highways
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best futuristic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best "Historical" City
    • Best "Commercial" City
    • Best Looking Skyline
    • Best Looking Harbor
    • Best Looking Airport
    • Best Looking Rail Networks and Stations

Good luck everyone, and most importantly Fun!

nicknick, Clemech4, Jotape and 3 others like this.
  2. giorgoselsedai

giorgoselsedai Governor

Yeah...!!!

nicknick, Jotape, XOUSTE and 2 others like this.
  3. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Let's go! :dmc1:

4. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

XOUSTE now, is on his way to Edzo,XXL planet.:cool:

And thank you so much to @skullz613 for his gorgeous map!

5. kipate

kipate Governor

Yay, finally, after I invested so much money into bribing people to vote for Edzo :D
    Actually, I didn't ;)

And wow, what a map it is! Thank you a lot, @skullz613, and thanks for being so patient with me :)

And it looks like @Drazicdesign will participate? What what? Wow wow wow, guys, that will be the challenge of the century! Now we only need to convince @Inan, @ObelicS, and others to participate as well, and it will be gigantic!

But to everyone: don't hesitate to participate! This competition is not only about winning, but especially about having fun :p I remember the last challenge, when there were so many nice cities by newbies which did not get any medal, and yeah, guys, it can be frustrating when you invested so much time and do not get any "official" recognition. But even if you do not win, you will most likely push your limits, and hence be a better player at the end. And I think that's worth it.

And well, don't forget to submit in time :LOL:

Also, I said it already, but I will say it again: this competition will be about who builds the best railway system. So you know what to do, guys :)

P.S.: @Gioroman87, this is the competition thread ;) :p

6. loren banovic

loren banovic Executive

The map coundn't be more perfect for my city theme :).
    Finnaly I can start early in a competition

7. nicknick

nicknick Governor

An exceptional map picked once more.
    Dozens of options for the things that can be done on it.

I wish we see many submissions, very different approaches, even more new ideas. It's a fantastic map and it will be a great competiiton.

8. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Oh. . . by the way. . . i already started working on the map hahahahahahahahahaha

:drool:

9. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

Let the engine's loose! :think: Thanks Skullz613 for stepping up on such a splendid map, especially with all you have on your plate with the transfer of reigns along with your own personal time. I was however was wondering with the week delay of the map release could we extend the competition a week further out? A Map of this quality deserves a full 3 months of build time, And to all other competitors.... bring on your "A game" , :suckers: MWA Ha ha ha!

10. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

you have almost 3 full months ;)
    closing date is 01.05.2017 ;)

CraCkeR JaCk likes this.
  11. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

I seen that and corrected

kipate likes this.
  12. Jotape

Jotape Mayor

What I have done so far :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr.X² and kipate like this.
  13. giorgoselsedai

giorgoselsedai Governor

Hey mate..!!!! I just placed a bridge so far..!!! :)

Jotape likes this.
  14. nicknick

nicknick Governor

I want to suggest two changes in the submission format. The two changes are in line with the existing rules, do not affect the submisssions themselves and could be implemented while the contest is running.

a) First change is about having 1 photo as an introduction along with a short text and then having all the rest 9 photos in a spoiler. This would drastically reduce the visual length of the submissions photos and make it easier for newcomers to read it.

b) Second change has to do with the same thing, meaning not allowing any other spoilers, nested spoilers, thumbnails. . . which means a common submission format. 1 photo at the front, 9 photos in a spoiler.

Reason i am suggesting these two changes is to reduce the visual length of the submissions thread, provide an easier overview of all submissions and finally make it easier for a reader / voter to go through all submissions back and forth. The way the submissions thread is right now is difficult and my guess is that some readers drop the effor tto go all the way to the end before all the material loads in their screen.

What i 'd liek to see would be a fast responding, more compact, more eye friendly submissiosn thread and larger voters numbers.

Opinions?

Clemech4, Drazicdesign and Jotape like this.
  15. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Moreover, i 'd like to suggest another thing, that the photos of the competition are uploaded in the site and not in a 3rd party provider.

Uploading at a third party provider means that if something goes wrong a submission is lost or not visible. Sometimes thiungs happen, some of us may change a provider, still with photos in the site the submissiosn thread will be more stable.

An example of how things may be if photos are not uploaded in the site is already visible at the last competitoin thread and previous threads too. . .

a) Submission of the last competition 1st winner is not visible and it's only some months the competition had taken place
    b) my submission last time i submitted ( Triton's Land ) is not visible too.

It's a pity that a collaborative thread gets like this in a year or so.

At the same time, i apologise for my photos missing from Triton's Land, they have been uploaded at ImageShack and ImageShack's change of policy ceasing free accounts coincided with the bank capital controls in Greece. We still have problems to purchase out of the country services and goods. I have been re-uploading everything in Flickr in a new free account, so my resources are getting slowly functional again, still i 'll need some help from inside to replace Triton Land's links.

Drazicdesign and Jotape like this.
  16. kipate

kipate Governor

@nicknick, good idea! But this constant jumping back and forth could be avoided if the moderators/admins (@skullz613 for example) added a list on top of the submission thread with Hyperlinks to the posts (the number of the post could be used for that, see My Post ).

Jotape likes this.
  17. nicknick

nicknick Governor

I am not very fond of ideas that put extra effort to the moderators / admins :)

I am in favor of ideas that put the effort and pain on the side of participants :gru2:
    Adding a hyperlink means the admins / moderators will have to be right there waiting for a new submission to get a new hyperlink on time. . . for a whole month. . . for any new submission :gru:

At the end of the month the moderators 'll be burnt out like: :dmc8:

Let's make it a bit more effortless for the admins. . . there is already some strain on the system on their side with the transition. . .

The thing here is to make the thread more compact. Noone is scrolling down all the way and with a hyperlink i am absolutely sure noone will scroll back to go back to the hyperlinks on top. We need a quick overview. . .

A hyperlink also promotes the idea of private communication and direct linking to a submission. . . which is good for private campaigning but not good for the competition. It won't be long before we see people campaigning privately or publicly for their submission ( through a profile signature for example ).

Jotape likes this.
  18. kipate

kipate Governor

@nicknick, but:

1) on 1st of May, all cities need to be submitted. So before that date, implementing hyperlinks does not make sense. So on that date, May 1st, or shortly afterwards, moderators can for once go through the submission thread and extract the hyperlinks and put them at the top of the thread and maybe at the end. That is not so much work to do. And May 1st is a holiday in many countries ;)

2) with all the submissions in one thread, you will still have to deal with waiting time regarding the loading time of the images.

3) what is so bad about campaigning for your own submission? It is what we want. It would rather be against the spirit of the competition if we disallowed for that.
    And private deals will happen anyways. Like "I will give one of my three votes to you, and you do the same for me", "c'mon, IcyHot, I know you did not participate, but you could give one of your votes for me"; may not be a nice thing to happen, but it is not like we wish for controlling the messages.

19. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Bloating. That's the issue of the competition thread in my opinion again. Hyperlinks will make it even more confusing and noone will scroll back to the top. And, yes i see no reason to put extra stress on the administrators / moderators for something like hyperlinks that will cause more bloating.

I just suggested something to make the thread visually shorter. Not all people will scroll through hundreds of photos really, hyperinks or not. Not speed related. People get bored after 50 - 60 photos and the thread is not interesting. Again, just in my opinion. Huperlink, again imho will make the thread even more bloated.

The submission thread is bloated. Not heavy. Bloated. This.

There is nothing bad about campaigning for your own submission, no one said that. You told so :)

But. private deals in my agenda are silly and childish :) No gray zones there. . . no it's not possible to control it but that does not mean that's something good.

You do understand it's just a game? Not real life. . . :)

20. kipate

kipate Governor

You understand that e.g. for most phones or tablets there are arrows at the sides that allow for going directly to the start or the end? And if I recall correctly, it is similar for computers. So I do not really understand your problem with "having to scroll back to the top" :)