1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite Movies

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by The Funky Monk, Sep 18, 2014.

1. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I watched Pulp Fiction last and and thought, 'This is one of my favourite movie's'. Then started thinking what my top 5 movie's are. This then got me thinking what your top 5 movies are.

So, here's mine.

Point Break.
    Pulp Fiction
    The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
    Pale Rider
    Unforgiven

Pretty hard to come up with a top 5, could probably go with a top 100 but that would take ages.

So, what are your top 5 movies?

KevinTheCynic likes this.
  2. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

I'm glad you made it top five because I like a lot of movies and I couldn't say which is my absolute favourite (and as you said yourself, it can be hard to narrow it down to just a top 5)

So, in no particular order...

Alien,
    BladeRunner,
    Hardware (aka M.A.R.K. 13),
    Hellraiser (specifically the first movie although I don't mind the others)
    Ring (the original Japanese version although the US remake is pretty good too)

However... :rolleyes:
    I will say that I had a hard time to not include the following (again in no particular order) :D : -

Akira,
    Mad Max (and Mad Maz 2, not real fussed on 3, too glossy and Hollywood compared to the first two)
    District 9,
    Stalker (Russian movie and not about those dudes who hide in your garden to take photos of you!),
    2010 A Space Odyssey,
    Full Metal Jacket,
    Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb,
    Black Hawk Down
    The Night Of The Living Dead,
    The Terminator (actually, the first three movies are about equal place with each other),
    28 Days Later (but the sequel was piss-poor, all that shaky-cam bullshit annoys the hell outta me!),
    Soylent Green,
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes (although I like all of them, except Battle for the Planer of the Apes, that was very bad, cheesy 1970s crap),
    Jin Roh (known as Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade in many parts of the world outside Japan and Jin Roh: Wolves in Human Armour in Australia)
    The Beast (aka The Beast Of War when it was originally released)
    Dirty Harry (and all the sequels and lots of other Clint Eastwood movies like Pale Rider, Firefox, Kelly's Heroes, Blood Work and Gran Torino)

So it's pretty obvious I have a tendency towards sci-fi (particularly apocalyptic/post-apocalypse genres) and deeper horror (i.e. slasher flicks are fine but I like something more than that) and yeah, I do like a lot of Stanley Kubrick and Clint Eastwood movies. :p

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

uh, öhm, thats a very good question :rolleyes:
    i think at the moment its
    - Enter the Void :love:
    - Lammbock
    - 500 Days of Summer
    - Love in thoughts
    - puuh, maybe trainspotting
    but i could list about a hundred, so its really hard to decide :D

4. kipate

kipate Governor

Okay, so here we go:
    The Godfather I,
    Zombieland ("Bill Fucking Murray" :p ),
    Edge of Tomorrow (so amusing to see Tom Cruise as a Loser, and the story was very good!),
    Syriana,
    Michael Clayton

Well, still need to watch some old movies I yet do not know anything about, like The Shining...

5. veija2

veija2 Mayor

My top five are pretty easy -

Pulp Fiction
    Silence of the Lambs
    Good Will Hunting
    Psycho
    Back to the Future

After that it gets harder to choose. A few no one's mentioned: Jurassic Park, the Matrix, Schindler's List, Casablanca, the Hunt for Red October and The King's Speech.

6. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

While I liked Jurassic Park well enough, I thought Schindler's List was let down by the schmaltzy ending (Spielberg seems to specialize in excessively sentimental endings that don't actually help the story he's telling).
    I did enjoy The Matrix although I was not impressed by the sequel and never bothered with any of the others after that.
    For all of that, none of them are on my favourites list though.

But I do agree, Casablanca and The Hunt For Red October are great movies and they are in my list of movies I'd be happy to watch again.
    Haven't seen The King's Speech however.

7. Monty

Monty Governor

In no particular order, and not including the ones you already mentioned that I also liked.

Children of Men
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    The Excorcist
    Kill Bill
    The Truman Show
    Gravity

Bicentennial man, Mr. Nobody, Moon, Requiem for a dream, Her, The Intouchables....

Oh, and Home Alone. I watched it like 3 million times when I was a kid and I still watch it whenever is on TV around Christmas. :ROFLMAO:

8. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Man, totally forgot about Jurassic Park.

A few others. Platoon, saving private Ryan, where eagles dare. Band of brothers was great too. Star wars, the fifth element, dark crystal, me myself and Irene.

9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

wow so many good and bad movies - I couldn't pick 5 still not sure anyhow lol

The Shawshank Redemption
    Unforgiven
    The Green Mile
    Dumb and Dumber
    The Cable Guy
    The Fith Element
    The Untouchables
    Kill Bill
    Forest Gump
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Pulp Fiction

10. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Sheet. You got some good ones there, nicko. How could I forget The Fifth Element? And Total Recall ... maybe even Play Misty for Me...

11. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

<forehead slap> Children Of Men, totally forgot that one! Love that movie. And yeah Total Recall (the original) and The Fifth Element are great as are many of the others but I have to say, I didn't much go for Dumb And Dumber. Didn't find it funny at any time except for the toilet bowl scene.
    And I've only just noticed that I typed 2010: A Space Odyssey when it should obviously have been 2001... Doh!

12. gm624

gm624 Unskilled Worker

1) Easy Rider (Fun fact: Jack Nicholson was about to quit acting [he wanted to focus on the production aspect more than performing] until Dennis Hopper convinced him to sign up for this movie thereby creating the Jack we all know and love!)

2) Colors

3) Limitless

4) Five Easy Pieces

5) Training Day

13. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

They also smoked a shit load of weed in the camp fire scene.

14. gm624

gm624 Unskilled Worker

LOL! Yeah. Jack was really high in that scene when he starts bringing up aliens. Lol.

15. Supersnake

Supersnake Mayor

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (we can also say that about our last three French presidents :LOL::ROFLMAO:, in the same order :p)

KevinTheCynic likes this.
  16. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Finally saw Training Day earlier this week and yeah, it's a damned fine movie - brutal but a fine movie. Definitely on my "Will watch again" list.

17. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Five easy pieces and Catch 22. Can't understand the 1970's without them. Some of my favs.