1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

(file Open Failed) Message - Corrupted Max File

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by bobqwerty, Sep 12, 2014.

1. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Can any one help me? Everything was okay but when I came today to finish unwrapping the remaining models I'm working on I got that (FILE OPEN FAILED) message and now my max files won't open. I don’t have any autobackup files (useable). I 've tried to merge the files to a new scene but I keep getting that error when I try to open a max file again.

I was using Vray with 3ds 2014, then I exported the models, changed the renderer. I've got no message warnings after that, until that piece of #$% has gone nuts. I'm afraid if I open another model it will corrupt it too.

Also, do you think the models got corrupted because of overlapping objects?

2. Monty

Monty Governor

That sucks. I happened to me a couple of times. None of the 3 autobackups are ok? If they're all corrupted I'm afraid you won't be able to use the file. It's important to use incremental save to keep older versions of your files so you can use them in cases like this or if you screw up your model beyond Undo fix.

I can't tell you exactly why 3ds Max files get corrupted. All I know it happens and has been happening for years. But no, I doubt the files get corrupted because overlapping objects, thats normal in 3d models.

3. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

I imported them to 2012 a long time ago. I was going to clean geometry when doing the LODs. I almost finished unwrapping. Then it happened :cry: I only have the autobak for one of the buldings. The thing is, when I load any of the backups it pops up a message of missing vray dlls, but I had it changed way before that backup (and that message was gone). I've assigned Mental ray as the default renderer with a custom preset but it keeps searching for Vray. I don't know what to do.

4. Monty

Monty Governor

Don't worry about Render engine errors. You probably get Vray errors because there is one or more vray materials in the scene or the material editor. Don't set Mental Ray as default renderer because you will get bad results or errors when you try to render the lighmap or the nightlights following the tutorials. The render engine must be set according to the type of shaders/materials you are using. If you want to use Vray for lightmap and nightlights, keep it set to vray. If you prefer to use Scanline method, set the render engine to Scanline.

Unless you get error messeges about the render engine while you are actually trying to render, just ignore them.

5. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

There's actually no Vray materials in the scene or in the material editor. I tried to open a building with no materials at all.

6. Monty

Monty Governor

If you want, send me a copy of the max file and I'll check it. But as I said, if you don't get an error message when you actually try to render, it shouldn't be a problem.

7. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Well... Apparently, the God of temperamental 3D softwares blessed me. I've opened them today without any error. I think it corrupted the config file when attempting to open a Project, so it picked up an old file, which had a different metric sistem, etc. After the reboot, I've opened another max file and changed the metric system of objects again. Then I rebooted again just in case. I haven't had to rescale the other buildings.

Thanks anyway

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

great news (y) but make sure to save your scene into a new file regulary, that reduces the chance of a total loss ;)