1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Flat Map 1.0

XXL only - completely flat map with full resources

1. ronrn

ronrn Governor

ronrn submitted a new resource:

Flat Map - XXL only - completely flat map with full resources

Read more about this resource...

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I did two flat maps that have deep land for tunnels. Trouble I find is most members don't always use the search function and go straight to the request section.
    Maps - The Flat Desert
    Maps - The Flat Plains
    I made these available on Steam as well for XXL users

3. ronrn

ronrn Governor

I also did this map deep. 300 meters based on the Map Editor's water levels.

I thought I remembered there being flat maps, but my word search (flat/flat map) didn't bring them up. Guess I should have searched a little harder.:oops:

OmniusPrime likes this.
  4. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

I see the map shows 3 star ratings for all resources. Are they really 3 star level resources or are they like Paris, a weak coverage of the whole map that only yields a few resource buildings to be built before petering out? I was definitely disappointed by the Paris map and the too easily depleted resources on it. I'm hoping we find nice thick resource areas that will allow us to build plentiful resource buildings.

5. ronrn

ronrn Governor

"Full Resources" or 3 stars, means that all 4 resources fully cover the map. The stars merely represent the estimated percentage of a map covered by that resource (this is noted/estblished in the .lua file of a map). Just like in default game maps, the resources, oil, water, & holiday, are depleted in the areas that they are built on. The size of the depleted areas vary with the type of resource building used. Agriculture resource does not deplete.
    As far as I can tell this depletion process is built into the game engine and I do not think it can be overwritten or stopped.
    I do think however, there are a some mod buildings that do not deplete resources.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Your right. They should be showing in search results.

7. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Thanks for the informative reply. I know resource buildings deplete resources in a circle around them. On the Paris map the resources were like a muted color across the whole map. When I built a test city I was only able to make a few resource buildings of each type before the resources were completely gone. I deleted the test city and built a new one and that new one lacked any resources whatsoever. Only Holidays around a few of the pre-built blueprint buildings listed as city services. That’s why I asked as I wanted to ensure you colored in resources properly. I’m looking forward to making a city on it in the future and use Soviet style buildings from the mods. It’ll be the first time I use a map mod. I guess I choose the map and it’ll place my city somewhere on the global map and I’ll just have to grin and bear it regardless of where it’s placed.

8. ronrn

ronrn Governor

After a close study I found that XXL maps can be placed on a specific "slot" on the global map.
    The file's code seems to use numbers, sort of like coordinents, for available "slots" but do not clearly identify exactly where this "slot" is globally located. In fact, these numbers must be assigned to an XL 2012 or older map when it is created. This is one of the main differences between XXL and XL maps.
    It will take a ton of testing to identify which numbers relate to where each specific "slot" is located on the globe.
    or
    Perhaps someone else smarter than me, here in the community, can help with this information.:whistle:

OmniusPrime likes this.
  9. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    After finding the saved game files I understand that there is a numbering system which identifies which city map goes where. Unfortunately it's above my paygrade to figure that out. I'll just have to choose one randomly and hope for the best.

10. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    I finally got my 4th city started on your flat map. I finally was able to measure out the map using the placeholders and discovered that the map is actually 10.6 km across each way. That allowed me to make my Klick Square layout concept as I calculated out the best distance between Expressways going each way. You can see how I carefully measure out the map center in the first segment. Then in the second segment I show how I figured out my Klick (Kilometer) Squares and preview my parquet floor small avenue pattern. I also show how I'll do farms as now I've got blocks that are a perfect 100% size for farms and solar farms. My second episode will show more of my new layout concept that mirrors what I did in Skylines. Thanks for making this awesome flat map! (y)

I translated Flatland city to German to come up with the city name of Flachlandstadt. I'm paying tribute to the Flatland book by Edwin A. Abbott. Look for a nod to you and your flat map mod in the ending credits.

11. ronrn

ronrn Governor

The place holder mod is the greatest. I seem to use it more than any other mod.
    But to determine a maps total dimension or to measure long distances, there is an easier way.
    Just build a road from one side of the map to the other and check the road's characteristics panel for the roads length.

Attached Files:

OmniusPrime likes this.
  12. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    I found that the way you suggest to measure distance doesn't always work properly. I started using placeholders extensively because I found the road measuring tool can differ, especially in bad terrain. Plus if you have to cross roads that throws off total distance. Your flat map does make measuring easy with placeholders. (y)

13. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Here's the second installment of my process of figuring out a new layout system that mirrors my excellent layout from Cities Skylines. I show off how I measured out and did my highway system. Then in the second segment I show off my awesome new Hexagonal Metro layout. Finally I show my Parquet Floor small avenue pattern to show the whole concept clearly. Now I'll be ready to fill in my new Layout Evolution.

14. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Here's the third installment of my process in figuring out my new awesome Klick Square Parquet Floor Dos Equis (Double X) road layout pattern. For those who don't know Dos Equis is a Mexican beer meaning Double X. I have started placing some buildings in Flachlandstadt, Flatland City, mainly to try to get the city hall functioning as well as the 160 metro stations in my cool Hexagonal Metro system layout. I wish I could say I planned out the hexagons but they were a nifty byproduct of my individual slalom style metro lines.

15. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Here's another installment as I grow Flachlandstadt to 236 K in population. I really love your Flat Map as it allows for really enjoying the benefits of a grid road system.

ronrn likes this.
  16. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Here's my latest installment of Flachlandstadt growing on your Flat Map. The population is now up to 1.6 million. It sure is nice to build on your flat map, so easy to not have water obstacles or hills to work around.

ronrn likes this.
  17. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Here's my finished Flachlandstadt city. I hit 8.1 million on this awesome flat map, about 3.5 million more than anticipated. It really was nice to lay roads without water obstacles or different terrain levels.

One oddity was that I downloaded your California map pack and set up the Monterey map to just see what it looked like. Afterwards I deleted it and went back into my Flachlandstadt city. I found the San Francisco map was showing in the start over position instead of this flat map. I opted not to try starting over to see what would happen as I didn't want to lose anything from my other saves. Any idea why the SF map would appear in my flat map city? When I loaded my latest save things were fine.

18. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Sometimes(often) custom maps and/or game defaults, get mixed up in my load/save panels too. Esp if I have multiple cities going at the same time.
    Sometimes, opening the "MY Cities" panel clears it up, if not:
    Try closing the game and restarting your pc and reopen the game.
    If that doesn't work, save/backup one or more of the games, then delete them, close the game, and reload it/them.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  19. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Here's my final episode of Flachlandstadt made on this excellent flat map. I definitely enjoyed working on this map, no water or terrain obstacles to fool with.

ronrn likes this.
  20. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Here's my final episode of season 2. I show off Flachlandstadt first in this farewell video. I really enjoyed this flat map and flattened the Monterey map as flat maps accommodate big buildings so much better. I start off riding the elevated monorail rollercoaster before showing off the city from different perspectives. Then I show off my Monterey city. This was my first city heavily experimenting with XL mods.

ronrn likes this.