1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Performance

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Nightcrawler, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Guest

Hey everyone,

As we know, Cities XL has quite some problems with its performance, due to the game only using one core of a computers processor. So the game gets massive lags when a city reaches a certain size.

Still I am seeing journals on this webpage with cities of immense sizes. I wonder if someone found a way to improve game performance?

My system is not the newest but its totally acceptable for citiesxl. still I get massive lags in bigger cities, which kinda ruins the game for me, to some point.

What do you guys do to improve the game performance? Or do you just learned to live with all those massive lags?

2. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

well with my relatively new pc it runs pretty good, though i have to admit that i hardly ever got really large cities
    Before I set graphics low and lived with the lag

3. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

I think it has to do something with the computer setup of people. A person was able to not get substantial lag when he had a million people in his city and I think thats pretty impressive since I always lag at 100k which I think would be fixed by updating one's processor, right now I have an old Intel Duo, no wonder. :p Well I have been trying one method to reduce lag and I should say, it reduced lag for me substantially. Here is the link:
    Crap I'm on my phone so I can't do the archive right now.

4. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I can run CXL pretty good on my rather low-end PC. Of course, I run on low settings and as of late haven't built a city larger than a few hundred thousand.

I guess a tip would be to only turn up settings for screenshots as well as make sure to leave the city (go to planet) every so often and then return as this does reduce lag somewhat.

5. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Try 'zzzz_XLN_Bob_Balance_Beta_v1.1'; still under BETA. That means it's only for CitiesXL Platinum currently. I'm waiting for my Projects topic to be migrated to update it. It decreases the number of agents per building and calculations per second (among other little tweaks), thus reducing lag.

http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/12327229/file.html

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Try this fix for the lag. It's worked for me. This was on the old XLN forum.

simjnky83 likes this.
  7. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Guest

Thanks for all the replies. One more thing that bothers me about the game graphics. Even when the game has no lag in smaller cities, all trees and park objects disappear as soon as I zoom in to street level. The objects constantly reloading and disappearing again, causes the game to lag. So this is kind of an unnecessary, artificial lag. And its very annoying when I try to take screenshots of a city, or when I just want to walk around the streets.

8. Spock

Spock Executive

i'm noticing that in game tree most likely to disappear but custom tree never disappear, sounds odd

9. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

If you try the fix I posted, the tress will not disappear as all graphics are loaded only once

10. Spock

Spock Executive

i've try it since old xln, all tree loaded and appear but, at some camera angle it disappear except custom trees

11. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I had not noticed that any disappear. I'll have to watch the next time I play.
    I wouldn't think that to many would vanish.

12. Spock

Spock Executive

i'm using camera mod btw and graphic at high setting, at some angle the shadow also disappear LOL

13. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, disappearing shadows are a big issue for me as well. It also might be the fact that I have a very crappy (integrated :confused:) graphics card, but sometimes not only do shadows disappear, I get random bits a pieces of what appear to be shadows flickering across the entire map.

14. Spock

Spock Executive

LOL, that flickering shadow thingy i never got
    i'm still curious about those missing trees, the custom tree like the one that very difficult to delete didn't disappear but the default game tree next to it disappear. lol

15. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

Hi everyone,
    I'm fed up with game crashing while the city is growing! Could anyone tell me if I "zzzz_XLN_Bob_Balance_Beta_v1.1" is compatible with skullz' fix?
    I can't find the 4gb patch, probably because of the migration to the new XLnation... is there any way to find it now?
    One neophyte question: Where can I find my backup files... is there a way to make them appear in the focus home interactive folder?

Thanks a lot for your answers

16. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

The 4GB patch can be found here.
    http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
    Make a copy of the CitiesXL_2012.exe file and put it on your desktop and Patch it. Back up the original CitiesXL_2012.exe (call it CitiesXL_2012_bak.exe for example) and then place the patched one back into C:\Program Files (x86)\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2012

17. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

thanks for such reactivity!

18. Manila Twilight

Manila Twilight Unskilled Worker

I started playing this game during Monte Cristo days up until Cities XL 2011. But since I switched to Mac, I never had the chance to play it again. I recently tried to use Wineskin wrapper on Mac but to no avail. So I'm thinking to buy a PC laptop dedicated for gaming, specifically for Cities XL.

Can you help me which of the two laptops work best for this game?

DELL Inspiron 7447 Pandora
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4510U (4MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
    Memory: 8GB DIMM (4GB x2) DDR3 1600MHz
    Hard Drive: 1TB 5400RPM SATA SSHD
    Display/Monitor: 14" LED Backlit with Truelife and HD resolution (1366×768)
    Graphic Card: nVidia GeForce GTX850M 4GB DDR5
    Battery: 4-cell Li-Ion
    Local price: 1,100 USD

HP ENVY 15-q006TX
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4712HQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (6 MB cache, 2.3 GHz, 4 cores)
    Memory: 8GB SDRAM (8GB x1) DDR3L 1600MHz
    Hard Drive: 1TB 5400RPM SATA SSHD
    Display/Monitor: 15.6" diagonal FHD anti-glare LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080)
    Graphic Card: nVidia GeForce GTX850M 4GB DDR5
    Battery: 6-cell Li-ion
    Local price: 1,300 USD

19. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

Hi Manila, I'm not the good person to answer your question. But I can tell you that I bought a good pc last year with 16GO ram and a great processor and the game still crashes while the city is growing... so I'm afraid there's no good solution...

20. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Remember the the current CXL does not utilize multi cores (the new Cities XXL will if it goes ahead) so having more cores will not help in performance. As Zizaro said about the RAM, it will still crash due to all the bugs. I have 6 cores and 8GB of RAM and I get crashes all the time.
    I don't know for sure the differences between those two i7 cores but the HP has a healthy screen size.