1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Maps

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Merrilkl Maddox, May 24, 2015.

1. Merrilkl Maddox

Merrilkl Maddox Executive

Having trouble finding how to create the Google map overlay.

From what I have gathered, you would create a map as normal in World machine and save it for game. Then create another exact map, but this time use the google image as the color map. Save this for the game.

Now once in game, start creating your world, road layouts, etc. using the Google map. When done, swap that map out of your mods folder with the original map.

But as I understand it, if this is correct so far, the google map includes GM in the name. Where in the name should this be? And if this is the case, when changing the map out, would this not crash the game, trying to load the map without the exact map that you started creating your world with?

Or is there any tutorial out there that I can use to learn this technique? I tried using Pamascus27's tutorial on Google map to Color map, but I don't speak the language, and trying to fallow what he is doing on his PC is very difficult without stopping every 15 to 20 sec. to get a translate on the name of the buttons he hits, or what he is doing.

Not to say it is not a good tutorial, since anytime someone devotes time to create a tutorial to help others, it's always great. I just have a bad time understanding it, and that is no ones fault, we're just from different sides of the world. LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Only just seen your post.
    What I do is create a map as normal using a google map as my template. Once I have finished editing the colormap and have exported it to dds, I reopen the colormap.bmp in photoshop and add a layer to it. Its this layer I copy the google image I used as a template. Before I add it though I adjust the brightness as it will be to bright otherwise when in the game. You also need to flip the colormap and google layer or it will be in reverse ingame.
    I then export the image as a dds so it can be used in the mapmaker.
    All you have to do then in choose the colormap with the googlemap in the mapmaker.
    The easy way is setup the map in the mapmaker untill its working ok in XL and then export it. Move the exported files (data folder) into a folder called normal for example, then go back to the mapeditor and change the normal colormap for the google colormap. Now export the files again. You have to use the same name when exporting otherwise you can not swap between the two maps in XL.
    The patch file names dont have to be the same name though.
    Its really tricky trying to cover all the steps in a post on a mobile phone so what Im going to do is make a tutorial over the next few days on how I do it.
    I use a worldmachine setup thats based of the tutorial by funky. Only bits I have added are the flip macros.
    Ill post here when I have done the tutorial.

3. Merrilkl Maddox

Merrilkl Maddox Executive

Sounds good, I will be looking for your tutorial.

I am going to be away for just a bit, (remodeling my house) you know, the old honey-do list? :dmc7::dm10: :dm3:
    Anyway, I will be back in the game as soon as I get finished.

Thanks for your help,

Merrill

skullz613 likes this.
  4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Thats ok. Yip I know about that list. Mine gets pretty long. The on going knagging normally speeds things up.