1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with texturing please

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by AzemOcram, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

I have made a lot of models of rowhouses and work mostly on low density and medium density buildings. However, I really love Art Deco so I started modelling some Art Deco Skyscrapers. My two questions are the following: What type of textures should I use (stone, metal, cement, glass, colorful, neutral, grey, light, dark)? How do I UVW map them to look the best within the limits of texture size limits (2048x1024)?

My Fictional Avaricio Inc. or GreedCo. or Babylon Corp HQ and adjacent smaller offices
    [​IMG]

With the models seperated (the wider one was hidden) with default lighting and more normal angle
    [​IMG]

NYC's 1920 Zoning restrictions (envelope models drawn by Hugh Ferris):
    [​IMG]
    (I will eventually attempt a metallic sci-fi version of the upper-left in this style)
    [​IMG]

Metropolis Ziggurat (Fritz Lang)
    [​IMG]
    (I will eventually attempt this)
    [​IMG]

2. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

Here is a model optimized for a 60x180m (or 60x200) lot, made by combining models, deleting faces, remaking parts, moving vertices, and optimizing. I'm considering on using textures similar to the Empire State Building but I'm no good at anything texture-related. The version I put into Cities XXL will not have the giant $ sign.

[​IMG]

3. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

[​IMG]

I made things a bit more realistic. The tan building isn't as tall as the building in the preceding post and I shrank the dollar sign to put it on a shorter tower.

Mr.X² likes this.
  4. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

Never mind, I got good advice and tutorials from @Monty and /u/HenkkaArt

[​IMG]
    WIP screen capture with beginning UV mapping.

5. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

Please someone finish this (bottom parts). My sandstone supertall ersatz Empire State Building is taking too much of my valuable time.
    [​IMG]