1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do We Connect XXL Intercity Railroad?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by OmniusPrime, May 11, 2016.

1. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

I’m trying to figure out how to make an intercity rail connection between two of my cities. I just can’t seem to figure out where to do it. I know there are mods for rail cars and such that are props that don’t move. I’m trying to figure out how to make the intercity rail connection for purposes of trading items back and forth between my cities.

I’m also trying to figure out how to connect the highways between cities. It does appear as if I don’t really have to do anything other than build Expressways or Highways leading from the map with the proper map edge connector. I did test out trading items between cities on the same and on different continents and it didn’t seem to matter. Perhaps I’ve done all I need to and don’t have to sweat out designating a highway as leading to a particular city. I did that test before building the big airports.

2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

You are correct.
    As far as I know, "trading" is the only way to directly interact with another city/cities.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  3. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Thanks for the confirmation on the road intercity connections. I love the trading feature, beats Skylines for giving inspiration to build new cities. Do you know anything about how to do an intercity rail connection? That's the one thing I'm baffled about.

4. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Short story: For now, the "Intercity Railroads" icon under the "Resources" tab is quite useless.
    Unfortunately, the only "rail" features in the game, other than the game metro lines, are road/railroad mods and the mono rail systems mod.
    Only the road/railroad mods can make a "road connection".
    Warning:
    I have found that the game does not like the road/railroad mod to connect and can crash the game. To avoid this, simply make the connection with a short section of regular game road and then attach the road/railroad to it.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  5. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Thanks so much for the info on the railroad deficiency. I think I may skip rail altogether if it crashes the game and wait until it’s made safe. It sure would be cool if the rail intercity connection is made to work properly. I hope whomever did the rail mods will be able to conquer the problem so the rail mods aren't basically useless props. They do look cool from the pictures I’ve seen. A shame that FHI didn’t exist long enough to fix this problem.

6. ronrn

ronrn Governor

:confused:
    No more FHI ?

OmniusPrime likes this.
  7. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Looks like FHI went bust very shortly after release of XXL, their forum website taken over by slimy marketers. A shame so many dissed the XXL update because it didn't offer more content, just fixed performance issues. I have to give FHI credit for improving performance issues which so many companies don't bother with. Definitely was a mistake to not include some new content like a fixed railroad system with working trains.

8. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronin,
    I know this is off topic but can you help me find the city buildings in the Citybuildings pack from axel? He doesn’t seem to bother answering questions in the discussion area of the mod’s section. Looks like he’s done some other interesting building mods but I can’t download them if I can’t find them. I’m going to have to get rid of the mod if I can’t find the buildings. Thanks.

9. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Residence/Qualified Worker/T2

Axels buildings.jpg

I keep a "barebones" mods folder handy, place new mods in there, and switch it out for my regular mods folder when I need to test a new mod.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  10. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Thanks for the info on where the buildings are located. I did look at my skilled worker T2 area, even looked at the custom content but didn't see them in the custom content. I'll have to look harder. I always place one mod at a time into my mods folder and then check to make sure it doesn't crash program. I then look for the items in the mod to know where they are. I sure hope I find them so I can show them off in a video.

11. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    I indeed found the buildings axel made. Right with the Amsterdam pack. Now to get axel's red-light district buildings for my Paris city. :LOL:

12. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Hmm....That's odd.
    The class file's "tags" read as:
    <Tag>Residence;T2;QualifiedWorker;MSCUSTOM;NOZAC;GemCity</Tag>

Well, at least they're found.:)

OmniusPrime likes this.
  13. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    The buildings are definitely not in the custom filter. I love the red light district ones too. o_O

14. whateverls15

whateverls15 Vagabond

I think he knows it, just too lazy to find it real

15. Nicoli Redmayne

Nicoli Redmayne Vagabond

However, isn't Lesson 2 what you want? Doesn't ridership bring in more revenue through fares and through bringing tourists into the city which boosts tourism? Why would I not want that?

OmniusPrime likes this.
  16. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Nicoli Redmayne,
    Unlike Skylines ridership doesn't bring in money for the metro, buses, monorail or now the trams. One missing feature of mass transit in XL and XXL is the fact that there was never a way the program calculates fee income from mass transit. Also there really is no separate tourism feature as there is in Skylines, hence no tourism income.

In XL and XXL mass transit ridership is all about taking cars off the roads, reducing traffic congestion.

In XL and XXL there is no separate tourism feature but we have a Holiday feature that relates to keeping people in your cities happy. You trade with Omnicorp for Holiday tokens or build Holiday hotels or Blueprint buildings or Landmarks to supply them. Holidays are another commodity you need to supply your denizens with.

Here's a link to my video about Trams. I also show my metro system. This will give you a better idea of what mass transit is all about in XXL.