1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Rescue Old City Journals

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by sahoo42, Sep 2, 2014.

1. sahoo42

sahoo42 Vagabond

A quick how-to if your City Journal data on old XLNation did not have back-up.

1. Go to www.google.com
    2. Enter text as follows:
      "your city journal name" and "+site:xlnation.net"
      example: Nickolo +site:xlnation.net
    3. You will get search results from google, with probably the first page as a reference to your city.
    4. Do not click the URL (it would lead to a page that doesn't exist), but click the arrow besides the link and than "in cache".
    5. This will take you to an indexed page, where (hopefully) your CJ information is contained.
    6. Save your data!
    Remember:
    • Time is your friend. Do it early (before the new page gets indexed and the results disappear and cache will be deleted!
    • Not all CJs might be in cache, so no guarantee to the results. Just hope and try.
    I will put up some printscreens to show the steps, but now I have limited time.

Auriga and IcyHot like this.
  2. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

You can also use Wayback Machine where you don't have to worry about the time, however for the most recent cache I recommend Google's. :)

sahoo42 likes this.
  3. Trolca

Trolca Executive

Thanks for the advice. It does seem that I'm still limited to just the first page of the journal though.

4. Auriga

Auriga Vagabond

Yes, thanks a lot for this advice, pretty clever idea ;) That will help a lot to restore my CJ.

5. sahoo42

sahoo42 Vagabond

I'm glad to hear it helps someone. I was, too, very excited when I saw the new website and than realized my old CJ didn't have any back-up. I hope this helps all guys recover their effort - and we will be seeing more CJs here soon!

6. sahoo42

sahoo42 Vagabond

Yes, unfortunately google does not index all pages of the old website. Maybe you can try Wayback machine, as suggested by Pamascus. Did try it myself, even though the data was a bit older, it had also indexed sub-pages. Give it a go at https://archive.org/.