1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Icyhot Waves His Hand

Discussion in 'Presentations' started by IcyHot, Sep 14, 2014.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey guys, I am IcyHot the 52 year old server administrator now of XLNation. First let me say I love city simulators and started with the original Simcity. I started playing CitiesXL at launch and I am one of the few the loved the online planet play of the game. Yes, it had problems but still I loved the community interaction. I have tried most City Simulators (including SC5). I currently don't play CitiesXL because I have not loaded bootcamp on my iMac (yup I am lazy). I hope to change that shortly.

I have lurked on XLNation for years. Around two years ago I approached Hyperwolf about hosting the website at my office on a dedicated server with lots of bandwidth. If you all remember back in 2011 and 2012 XLNation was constantly down because of issues on a shared server that hogged all the CPU time and maxed bandwidth usage each month.

Hyperwolf moved XLNation to my company server in 2012 (if I recall) and things worked "okay" I guess. A combination of events lead to lots of downtime that continued to get worse. I finally contacted Hyperwolf in August 2014 about handing over control of XLNation so that I could move the server to new software and hardware. That process is now complete.

Sadly the decision was made NOT to migrate anything directly from the old server. The good news! We have a modern server, with updated modern software now supporting XLNation. I am here to support the community and see XLNation thrive and grow to become THE goto site for city builders.

My Goals for XLNation:
    1. Restore the "reputation" of XLNation as a reliable source of mods and information that is always available.
    2. Expand XLNation in the future to support new City Simulators
    3. Support the ideas of the moderators and community
    4. Provide a reliable server and web software
    5. Improve the SEO of XLNation. Right now if you google "CitiesXL" the website does not show up until page five. That is sad. I plan to improve that.

2. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

:boww:

3. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I would just like to say thanks again IcyHot, I'm sure the community appreciate all you have done with the new server and forum. (y)

4. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

You Icy, done so much to the community, you are a very awesome person, thank You! (y)
    And about the reputation stuff, LET´S DO IT!! ATTACK WITHOUT MERCY!
    (sorry for being a bit childish)

5. veija2

veija2 Mayor

tumblr_ljsevez4J01qj7o0ho1_400.GIF You've already done a lot. Thx.

6. kipate

kipate Governor

When first hearing about the new project,
    I became curious and registered, first just lurking
    around here with eyes like this:
    cutest-slow-loris-gifs-mouth.gif

When I finally recognized what the new site would mean to the community
    and me, I was like this: WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT!
    echtlustig-picdump-35_188.gif

Now I just want to say thank you and tell you...
    tumblr_inline_mueugdNK7d1r1m1vi.gif

7. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Icy for the work you ve done since August 2014! We really feel in here back home!