1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Someone Willing To Convert A .skp To .3ds?

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Artmaster, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Hello all,

I've been working in 3ds max and getting closer to getting a building made, but then I realized, there a bunch of fantastic models of buildings I need for my city I'm working on. I just spent the last two hours trying to convert a sketchup file without success. I'm not going to get sketchup pro just to convert it so I was wondering if someone would be so kind to just export it for me so I can work with it?

Here's the sketchup building I'm trying to use:
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=fe2a5f6a7e810b3ca964bbe9cb28e03d

Thanks

2. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Ha, don't to excited about those google mods, sure some might be low poly/triangle count but most are huge.
    The model you want is over 64,000 triangles. Anyway I have exported it to 3ds and also imported to 3dmax file. All files located in _temp/ zip folder. Have fun!
    http://speedy.sh/dew6w/temp.zip

tip if still learning I would recommend doing a low poly simple construction building. One with not to many faces etc.

3. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Thanks for the tip! That is a ton of triangles...guess I would've figured it out during the tech doc reading. I'm not even sure how big this base is...something like 30x100m I think.

4. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

if i group all the objects rotate them to some sort of x,y then create a simple plane over the top. Max says it's about 40m x 80m or what ever which way you wish to rotate it.

Personally I would only use this model as a reference it's just way to high in polys/triangle count. It probably has many duplicated faces/vertices/lines etc. You would spend ages just cleaning it up. That is what sucks about most Google Models. Though saying that I have come across a few decent ones. Probably uploaded by a Max user lol.

5. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

You can import sketchup 8 or older model directly from 3dmax 2012

nicko2u likes this.
  7. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

I tried this and as I was tinkering the file, I noticed it would randomly lose pieces. I have no idea what was causing this. The file nicko provided looks much different from what I tried to import. I'd actually like to know the process nicko used, but I'm figuring it takes Sketchup Pro which I can't spend money on and won't pirate.

Mr.X I have it already, it's just in order to follow that process one needs sketchup pro, which I'm not going to be able to attain. Doesn't seem like the warehouse models are very adaptable as they contain too many triangles anyway.

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

You can use the Free Version sketchup make as well.
    Just unlock and explode it (several times) in sketchup then Export as 3ds.
    Abut the quality.. Yes most models suck and cause troubles in 3ds Max + triangle count etc...
    Its better to rebuild them yourself and just use sketchup models as a refference/inspiration

9. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

You need to "fix" it first like Nicko and mr.X said, You can't import it as it is...
    better rebuild it on max or skecthup if You prefer, or even from autocad like Moran
    although You still need to make the other LOD in max which need some basic 3dmax knowledge

in max, You can turn on snap toggle(magnet with 3 letter) and check the vertex to help rebuild the model from skp file You've import...

10. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Edit* I figured it out...