1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Layer Test

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by skullz613, Sep 30, 2014.

1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have had a few questions about the map layers from a few members and I realized after all this time, I did not know much about a few of them. I made a test map with all the layers and found a few things out, xxxxxx being the map name.

beach.PNG
    1. The first thing that I found was that the CitiesXL MapEditor creates a wrongly named file. CitiesXL MapEditor creates xxxxxx_01_sim_gembeach_beach.png when a file is selected for the beach resource. This file is not listed in the mapmgr_xxxxxx_01.lua file. It should be named xxxxxx_01_Sim_SeaSide.png.
    2. The file xxxxx_01_Sim_SeaSide is for the American houses and the pier. Not sure of any other mods.
    3. The file containing the word gembeach should be called xxxxxx_01_gembeach_beach if it is used. I created this file for my test map but could not find any mod using the gembeach layer.
    4. The file xxxxxx_01_sim_environment is for the holiday hotels. The Holiday hotels under the hotel menu needed this layer. I also noticed three hotels in the beach menu needing this layer.
    5. Water, Agri and Oil layers work OK as we all know.
    6. Citylinks work OK. Not sure if any mod uses the waterway layer yet.
    7. I enabled the xxxxxx_01_sim_snow layer but it did not show when selecting the snow houses/buildings or snow field stuff.
    8. The fishing layer we know is not used yet.

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Just remembered the waterway citylink should be used by the NEXL mod.

3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I also found that the snow layer is named incorrectly. It should be xxxxxx_01_GemSki_Snow.png. The Map Editor names it xxxxxx_01_sim_snow.
    I tried getting this layer to show but couldn't.

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

For the last three hours I have been running CitiesXL 2012 using my Auckland V2 map with the layer names manually corrected. I had no crashes. Normally I would have a couple of crashes. The next step is to run the version with the wrong named layer (sim_gembeach_beach.png) and compare the logs.

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ran the game for 2 hours and had no crashes. An error shows up regarding the seaside layer though.
    Code:
    [13:53:43]   CORE     mcFile.cpp     ( 198)   Error     can't open file Data/Gfx/Landscape/Layers/aklandcxl_01_Sim_SeaSide.png
    It could be a cause for the custom maps to crash at some point.

6. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I do think I remember seeing that error in several of the log files after I had crashes on custom maps.

7. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Good work skullz. I'll have to change a few files in my default folders.

8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Though it's probably worth changing I don't think it's the only cause for custom maps to crash. There has to be other factors. My Doha2 map for example is crashing even though the layer is corrected. It might be due to the level of the land or that it's flat. Radiospeed pointed out that all he did was lay all the roads out on the Doha2 map and his game crashed. Could be a possibility its a road mod causing a crash.

Radiospeed likes this.
  9. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, flat maps are the hardest to get right. The only reason a map should crash is because if the water level. Once it works it should always work. Even withought the layers they should work. You just won't be able to put farms etc down.

10. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

It's weird, because some maps (Durban for example) work great but then others (Madison) seem to always crash after a certain amount of time.

11. Radiospeed

Radiospeed Unskilled Worker

I only had RHM2 mod running as a road mod.. am not sure if that caused the issue but the mod has been faultless so far in other maps.. great work by the way detecting the naming issue in the custom maps. Lets hope were are getting closer to solving the custom map crashes once and for all.. (y)