1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Media "gallery" Addition?

Discussion in 'XLNation Site Questions, Problems and Suggestions' started by IcyHot, Nov 20, 2014.

?
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Would you guys be interested in a "Gallery" Section of XLNation?

• You could create personal Albums and maintain and share a collection of photos
    • You could post Photos to common subjects
    Here is an example from the developers website: xenFORO Media Demo

My only concern is that this could dilute the content even further on the website by creating too many places for each of you to find and enjoy content.

Obviously these photos would need to be related to Cities, and Cities XL. There are plenty of places to find cat photos. With all the user donations so far in 2014 I can easily afford to add this to XLNation for all of you to experience.

2. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

If we had a gallery section, would that negate the purpose of the "city photos" forum?

It looks like a pretty neat feature, although as you said we already have several places to share pictures of our cities.

3. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I am not sure it would negate a thread like that unless we had a category previously setup. I like the idea of Albums, its almost like giving people an Instagram account or something it seems they can share with others.

I am totally on the fence about this. We have the funds available to add the feature. Since this module is now a supported portion of the XenFORO platform I am comfortable it will be supported and maintained with the rest of the development of xenFORO

4. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

hope you have funds to keep upgrading your disks and other server hardware to cope :)

personally I see it a waste of resources, most peeps just like to record their screenshots on a CJ post.

But hey if others want it and your server resources will cope I'm up for it, any new features can be fun for all.

5. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I'm not 100% sure on it either. It could be good for people who don't want to write a backstory for their city. Then the CJ part could be for those that want to write a story.

6. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Scooch over on that fence, please. I am there, too. Unless we had "theme of the month" or something - city in a snow storm, city at the holidays, etc.

7. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

I agree with what Funky said. Not 100% sure of it, but well, it looks like we can try.

8. Monty

Monty Governor

It is an improvement for the site and the way people share content/photos. Maybe replacing the city photo forum with this would be better than keeping both sections. A regular thread/forum is not the best way to share pics, specially because comments interrupt the whole "browsing photos" experience. There are pages on the "Your cities pictures" thread that are pretty much just comments on the previous images. So it's very inefficient when it comes to post pictures, browsing and comment on them because both the pics and the comments are "disconnected" and scattered.

9. veija2

veija2 Mayor

That's a good argument for giving it a try. You may be right, Monty.

10. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

I also agree with you Monty.

11. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, he makes a good point.

12. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point Nicko, currently disk usage for XLNation is sitting at 12% -- Users are adding around 350MB in attachments a week. I think we are good for another two years before I need to replace the hard drive with a bigger one. The server itself is set for another three years unless there is a failure.

13. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually, it would be handy for the bootleg river comp.

14. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

If there's ever a themed city contest (like the Bootleg river) it would indeed be useful.