1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

New Domain Name?

Discussion in 'XLNation Site Questions, Problems and Suggestions' started by IcyHot, Dec 4, 2014.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

With the news of Cities XXL and the development of Cities: Skylines I am thinking about a new domain name for XLNation. Any thoughts?

2. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, on the one hand, XL Nation sounds powerful but still comes smoothly out of the mouth;
    one the other hand, with upcoming new games that both sound pretty promising,
    it may be tempting to look for some other name :think:
    Also, one should take into account that www.xlnation.net is rather short,
    and easy to remember, though...

3. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Changing a domain name is a tough choice. The problem I am facing is this. Right now xlnation.net expires in July 2015. If the domain name is NOT renewed it will go offline with no access to the website. There is nothing I can do about it. Eventually a few months later the name will be released into the wild for anyone to purchase or register. I have been trying to get hyperwolf (the current domain name owner) to either 1. re-register the domain name for another 5 years (I have offered to pay for it) or 2. give me control of the domain name so I can get the registration renewed. So far no response out of him regarding this.

<Technical Geek Speak Follows>

Changing the xlnation.net domain name is the LAST thing I want to do for SEO reasons.

Option 1: Since I control the server and website I can easily create a redirect. What this would do is redirect xlnation.net to whatever domain name I wanted. This would give us 6 months to make sure everyone was informed that xlnation.net was now called [insert name here]. Six months would give search engines enough time to re-index the site

PROS: the domain and website would no longer be under a cloud of uncertainty regarding the domain name registration.

CONS: SEO would be ruined. All the xlnation.net links would "be broken" on search engines and other websites, after xlnation.net expired. Important 3rd party websites would have to update their links to XLNation.
    Option 2: Get Hyperwolf to get xlnation.net renewed ASAP for another 5 years or turn the domain name over to me so I can take care of it.

Options 3: Pray Hyperwolf does Option 2, if he does not xlnation.net goes offline in July 2015

In a perfect world I would do both Option 1 and Option 2

4. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

• The main reason why I like xlnation is because a browser gives you some suggestions when you're typing the name of a website. When you want to go to xlnation, all you have to do is pressing x and then ENTER. It saves me about a hundred calories per day :)
    • Also you can see the xl in xlnation as a symbol of having everything on one place.
    • XLN is a really distinct abbreviation, just like the XLEX (and furthermore the letters are close to each other which saves me even more calories ;))
    So I don't think we should change the name.

Pamascus27 and The Funky Monk like this.
  5. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree, the name should stay if at all possible.

I think I had HW's email at one point but I don't think I have it any more; really wish I would have kept it.

6. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

well yeah of course id prefer to keep xlnation.net as it is, but unfortunately it depends on some things, so if its absolutely not possible id suggest to register xxlnation.net :D simply because its similar to the current name and the new version of cxl is called cxxl ;)

7. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I have his email and I will try to pester him some more.

8. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I would continue to ask HW what he is doing. Hopefully he will be willing to just renew it or transfer ownership to you.
    Else yeah you might have to considering registering a new domain.

9. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd rather not change but if you have to you have to. You could just change it xlnation.com, unless a complete change of names is intended to incorporate CXL and Cities:SL.

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

that's taken already funky, though there are plenty of alternative similar names Icy could possibly register. Have Pm him a couple already.

11. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

That sucks. Well I vote for funkynation.com. Got a nice ring to it huh.

snick and Pamascus27 like this.
  12. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

I am all for keeping the current domain name even if there will be new games under circumstances that it will still be possible to retain it.
    It signifies our roots to a prosperous community dedicated to CitiesXL. And as said by people above, it is catchy and comes powerful both in remembering and when being talked about by mouth. I can't think of any better domain name than XLNation. I insist on Option no. 2 and longing that Hyperwolf will respond months before July 2015.

HOWEVER, if such an event is doomed to happen, e.g. HW doesn't respond within the month before July, you have to do what you gotta
    do for the better, for XLN to continue thriving into the future.

Anyways, I'm all for, if possible at all, in preserving www.xlnation.net as the domain name of this very community.:)

snick and The Funky Monk like this.
  13. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Well like almost everyone said, keeping the current name would be best.
    If not possible then maybe just add an 's' > xlnations.net Since there will be Skylines here as well you could say we are expanding, we will not be just a CitiesXL nation but a Skyline nation as well. Hence the plural 'nations'.

Mr.X² and The Funky Monk like this.
  14. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Icy any news on the domain name? HW? As we know if the domain name goes down (not renewed) the site will as well.

Not sure why I am panicking lol, the domain doesn't expire until June 14th 2015

15. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Hehe yeah, any news on that one Icy?

16. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I plan to contact Hyperwolf the first week of January about the domain name. Hopefully after the holidays we can get this resolved. If I don't get a reasonable response my only choice is to obtain a new domain name and start redirected traffic from XLNation to that new domain.

I really don't want to go the new domain name route.

17. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Sent Hyperwolf an email a few days ago, hopefully I will hear from him soon. If I do not hear from in in a week I will proceed to purchase a new domain name for the website.

I put a bid to buy xlnation.com and hope to hear about that soon. I am also considering xlnation.city. The .city is a new top level domain that went live last October. There is so much more I want to do with XLNation like implement a CDN strategy with amazon that would put all attachments and resources on multiple data centers throughout the world for faster access by users

Supersnake likes this.
  18. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

sounds good.

19. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Sounds alright to me Icy, good luck! I hope HW can respond within the week you implied, if he fails in that then I
    hope that HW can atleast can respond 2 months before June.:)

20. Supersnake

Supersnake Mayor

xlnation (or xlnations) is incontournable in my opinion. This name is federative.