1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Next competition (start end of 2015- beginning 2016) Proposal Island-Archipelago map

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by Dreian, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

hey guys,

we had a bit of a discussion on the chat today, and were considering the possibilities for the next contest.

Among the things that have been mentioned, a few of our members regret to not have enough time to build completely their cities due to land size, lack of time to dedicate regularly...

So, this is why I am proposing a possible contest based on a archipelago/island map, which might help limit the available size of land. We can of course choose in the already existing maps of the XLEX, or if one of our good modding souls agrees, get something new based on our technical request.

You are welcome to give us some feedback on the features you would like to see on a possible map (%of land, mountain or not,etc) in case one modder agrees to listen to our contest requirements.

For me I would prefer:
    -archipelago (1 major island, a few smaller one)
    - mixed landscape, possible lagoons

Drazicdesign, Pamascus27 and Inan like this.
  2. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

It will have to be a brand new map. The last thing we need is people pulling out an existing city. Everyone needs to start fresh on a clean map with no possible appearance of cheating.

3. Inan

Inan Governor

It is a nice idea. But in that case the island should be larger to give more variety for cities and the water has to be neutral colored. Nevertheless an island is not appropriate imho for big cities or industrial hubs with transportation systems. For a contest we maybe should consider the intentions of players for such cities too. Hence i would suggest a (mounty?) peninsula instead of an island, imho it offers more possibilities for cities due to its connection to the edge. So we would be able to create small touristic towns up to an coastal metropolis. Just my thought... :)

Kurtis Edwards, Pamascus27 and Pepino like this.
  4. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

id prefer a "normal" map
    personally with a river through it or some coastal lines.. flat. maybe some mountains in edges..
    you can also show a unfinished city, just take some creative shots :)
    and of course only a new one like icy said

5. ronrn

ronrn Governor

I think, in the spirit of a "city building" competition, that cities should be finished. We already have the media section, the media of the month competitions, city photos section, all the 'show us your .....' threads, and even CJs for those "creative shots".
    Of course, who is the one to define "finished city" or how can one even prove that their city is complete? That's where the "spirit" of competition comes into play.
    ....just my humble opinion...

6. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Honestly is a city ever done?

kipate likes this.
  7. ronrn

ronrn Governor

I see your point and I agree. But in this case, as admin of the competition, I suppose that would be for you to decide.
    :boww:

8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I like the ideas Dreian has. Maybe a map with at least a 30% flat area on a bigger island? I know most players will make their own flat areas using over water roads but its good to have a small area flat to start of with.

9. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

I strongly disagree with islands map idea. Since I don't participate in these contests, my words worth nothing here, but anyway, if I participated, I wouldn't want to build cities on islands in the middle of ocean. I prefer land-massed maps with some river flowing or maps with coasts.

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I tend to agree with @pauliaxz - stick to a land based map so everyone has same advantage, islands create some extra difficulty layers.

One map I seen recently was by the master @The Funky Monk - he released a 4 map pack- contains a nice Gulf Map

Maps - XLN 1st Birthday Map Pack | XLNation - Cities XXL

Either way up to you guys who want to compete / build, therefore I suggest you guys start suggesting a fair fun map to build on :)

11. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, that's a good point. Personally I'm terrible at creating over water areas. I'm sure others would be in the same boat.

I'll whip up a few things in WM and post the satellite pics here and see what people like.

kipate likes this.
  12. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

With 23,000 users it will be hard to please everyone

The Funky Monk likes this.
  13. veija2

veija2 Mayor

So let's have some random selection process, like members # 495, 6032, and 21709 pick from a list of map options. Just not another vote.

14. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Not knowing what map will be used next is a good part of the challenge/fun. By whatever means were used to decide, the choice of maps have been good ones so far. If it ain't broke....don't fix it.:yawn:

15. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, I do not mind most maps, and yeah, pleasing every was hard to achieve.

My personal opinion regarding Gonaives was that I did not know what to do with the
    small rivers every, I really hate decorating it all with esplanades, or simply
    with grassy area. I would prefer hence a map with only one medium/large river.

Decorating the shore appropriately can be a nice task in the city center,
    but it can painfully annoying in the suburbs.
    And then having a small river with many little curves, that was like an overkill for me.

I also agree with @pauliaxz and @nicko2u regarding a map that did not show
    an island, also due to the fact that you will need to establish shoreline decorations
    everywhere.

Also, I have to say that island maps do mostly not offer enough space
    for a highway networks or airports. The only map I have seen which offered
    enough space for both was Hammer Island, e.g. look at the city by @veija2 .

Additionally, it would be nice to have a map without too many little elevations
    regarding the terrain. Your maps are great, @The Funky Monk , but sometimes
    you put in too much detail, at least in my opinion.

Then you have those little elevations, and players either need to find ways to deal with
    it, or need to carefully elevate them back to zero, which can be a time consuming task,
    as you nee to pay attention not to accidentally change the terrain which you did not want to
    terraform.

This shall not be a general critique, I just think that for such contests, that only last some months,
    maps that have less detail regarding the elevation would be better.

Now Funky will send me some nice snakes and spiders via Airmail :D

The Funky Monk likes this.
  16. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

@kipate, haha, I agree. Bootleg River looked nice but was shit to build on. A wide river going into the ocean would be cool. With big mountain in the background.

Mr.X² and kipate like this.
  17. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

Good to see some debate. My proposal of island/archipelago was just to propose diversity. but i don't mind as well the map to be shore, in land or whatever, from the moment it pleases the community...

So i guess we should put of a survey for the community to choose which kind of map should be.

18. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's a couple of examples I just made.
    Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-4.jpg

skullz613 likes this.
  19. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Yeah! Snow maps, that is unusual and quite a challenge! I am for that one with snowy mountains

20. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.