1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2015 Bootleg River City Contest Submissions

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

XLN_Banner-1.png
    Bootleg Map City Contest 2015
    During the Month of January 2015 City Builders may submit up to 10 individual photos (no combining photos into a montage) for consideration in the contest. Only one entry per person. Please DO NOT post Mega Screenshots, not everyone has Fiber into their homes.
    • Only posts with official photo submissions are allowed. Any other comments or replies will be deleted from this thread. (If you want to talk about submissions pick a new thread)

• Entries in the Contest need to include the name of your City and if you desire a "pitch" about why your city is the best or what category you hope to win.

• If you want to update and or replace your Official Entry prior to the end of January 2015 please contact me or a moderator to have your older post removed. We want to avoid confusion with multiple entries.
    On February 1, 2015, a poll will be added to this thread. The XLNation community will vote for their 3 favorite cities. The Top 3 Winners will receive a unique medal and 15/10/5 Trophy points. When the poll opens, comments from the XLNation Community are encouraged. Cheer on your favorites or campaign for a winner. Any photos submitted after the poll opens will be deleted!

Category Winners will be judged by a private panel of 5 non-city building people fans. Most will know nothing about Cities XL and will base their judgements solely on the photo submissions and the categories. Winners will receive a unique medal and 10 Trophy points. There is one winner per category. All winners will be announced when the poll officially closes.

Here are the categories:
    • Best rural or farm region
    • Best "Green" City
    • Best "Industrial" City
    • Best RHM interchanges and highways
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best futuristic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best "Historical" City
    • Best "Commercial" City
    • Best Looking Skyline
    • Best Looking Harbor
    • Best Looking Airport
    Good Luck everyone. Official Entries will be accepted from January 1 to January 31, 2015 (GMT)

FussionM, Miguel, chenchuan and 4 others like this.
  2. ovarz

ovarz Governor

Artmaster, Pepino, Jotaere and 17 others like this.
  3. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Official Submission

The City of White Salmon, Population 454,000 in the Metro Area. (including the northern suburb of Bingen).

The city sits on the Willamette River. The river valley winds its way through the Cascade foothills. White Salmon is bisected by Interstate 84 a major east/west Freeway in the United States. Oregon Highway 30 starts in White Salmon and then moves north through the small town of Bingen. This is a premier agricultural region supplying most of North America with grass seed for lawns. Strict zoning laws and the urban growth boundry protect the farm land from incursion and urban sprawl. The White Salmon Metro area boasts a strong manufacturing and high tech industry. The area is a popular tourist destination spot. The City is also surrounded by private and public timberland mostly to the west along Interstate 84

Building Philosophy and Why I should be considered for the Contest.

This is a North American City. I tried to build following the contours of the map and what would make economic sense in the real world. This limited my choices for buildings within the city. There is a large tree canopy, typical of a city in the Pacific Northwest. City growth finally stopped when I hit a fright capacity of 280 and did not want to add an additional freeway. I feel my submission should be considered for:
    • Best "Green" City
    • Best "Industrial" City
    • Best realistic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best Looking Skyline
    What I would do differently next time.

The city has horrible traffic. I should have built a freeway north instead of a large avenue out of the CBD. I was not familiar with the RHM so elected to keep the interchanges simple. I considered adding a subway/metro but seriously a city of 454,000 could not afford that type of infrastructure. I should have added more parking lots in the CBD for a more realistic effect. When I got to the smaller town of Bingen I began adding those and I feel the area looked more realistic. I wish I could forest the hills around the city but I was afraid of the weird terra forming that happens plus the more trees the more lag.

All Photos are high resolution, click on them for full-size

levelscreen0004.jpg
    1. Satellite View (North is up)

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_56.jpg
    2. Core Area of White Salmon with Interstate 84 in the lower portion and Oregon Highway 30 moving toward the top of the frame

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_51.jpg
    3. White Salmon in the Early Morning Looking southeast. As you can see the city is surrounded by farms

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_35.jpg
    4. The town of Bingen in the foreground looking south towards White Salmon. Bingen offers a small town feel in a large metro area with pioneer square a central feature.

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_44.jpg
    5. Looking South towards the CBD, notice the residential neighborhoods in the foothills and the fantastic views of farming across the river

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_31.jpg
    6. Manufacturing and High Tech Industrial areas, you can see a tiny bit of Bingen in the upper left.

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_37.jpg
    7. Manufacturing and High Tech Industry looking south towards White Salmon

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_53.jpg
    8. Looking Northeast across the Willamette River towards the White Salmon CBD

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_52.jpg
    9. Looking Northeast across the Willamette River towards the White Salmon CBD

cxl_screenshot_white salmon_29.jpg
    10. Beautiful Farmland with Private and Public Timber intermixed

4. chenchuan

chenchuan Mayor

Hi guys! I'm so happy to show my city here. The city took me for about two months. Thank you for XL Nation to hold this contest and the members . English is not my first language and I hope we can make the well exchange.
    My city named the Agate City,it located on the banks of the bootleg river. It's a beautiful and romantic city.It has a developed highway system.The population about 1356000 and the city belongs to Amercian.
    I think my city should be considered for:
    Best "Green" City
    Best RHM interchanges and highways
    Best realistic City
    Best Vacation City
    Best Looking Skyline
    It's hard to choose the pictures XD.
    The old one will be deleted.
    City name: the Agate city
    1.Map of Agate city

I'm not good at photoshop job and it's my first time to use this thing so it looks ugly.At least it looks okay.
    t79YKId.jpg
    2.Welcome to Agate city
    Agate city is a nice place to visit.
    LrWkwxQ.jpg
    3.River bank
    qWuv2qB.jpg
    fafFPzB.jpg
    uNYmGBP.jpg
    6.Winter's coming
    ntUh5Bw.jpg
    7.better city better life
    a6dzQy9.jpg
    DlUYRQt.jpg
    2TNdhbn.jpg
    Aas0f94.jpg
    Thank you for wacthing!

5. Ammar Shaker

Ammar Shaker Elite

The City of Rivoria
    Population: 1,000,000 heroes.

Somewhere in the North American Forests, Queen Rivoria II of Rivland assigned her best architect; Ammar the Shaker, to establish a new town in the area, following her great victory on the Bootlegian armies.

Ammar has based his new settlement on a huge network of highways, allowing the City of Rivoria to expand faster and faster. in 2015, Rivoria has reached a population of 1,000,000 people and entered a beauty championship on a website called xlnation. wishing to earn a trophy on the RHM category, and to be one of the three overall winners.

Categories competing on
    • Best "Green" City
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best futuristic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best "Commercial" City
    • Best Looking Skyline
    • Best Looking Airport
    Future Plans
    Rivoria may require a bigger Airport. therefore, I'll be replacing the existing one after the voting is over. i may also copy some of other players airports.
    A detailed map of the city will be created, this will describe subway/tram system and block names.
    Not to mention I'll be posting Rivoria in the CJ section with more pictures

Pictures

Skylines
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Satellite
    [​IMG]

Air view
    [​IMG]

Rivoria Express, The vein highway and the business street of the city.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rivoria International
    [​IMG]

City life
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you and have a nice flight :angel:

Artmaster, Ernest007, Jotaere and 5 others like this.
  6. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is my submission

Hawks Hollow

CBD #1

Register or to view Spoiler content!

Airport and industrial area

Small town and farmland

CBD #2

Scenic shots

Artmaster, Pepino, royb 98 and 7 others like this.
  7. Kaiman

Kaiman Executive

This is my official submit for this competition.
    Name of the city is Gerlicher
    The population in region is 361689, specifically
    • city cca 350000
    • countryside cca 11500
    Gerlicher is the fictive city situated in South-East Germany nearby Munich. The region consists of
    • One city (7 city districts: Center, Riverbed, Gerlicher´s Heights, North area, South area, Eastern Gardens, Far Stettlement)
    • Industrial area (large Chemical factory, huge Coal power plant)
    • 8 villages (Bress, Bresswald, Schwarzdorf ..., you can see on map and in countryside postcard)
    In my opinion, Gerlicher has chance to take in these categories:
    • Best "Green" City
    • Best "Industrial" City
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best "Historical" City
    1. Map
    01gerliche.jpg
    2. Sat with zoom
    [​IMG]
    3. Countryside
    [​IMG]
    4. Center panorama during a day
    [​IMG]
    5. Central square
    [​IMG]
    6. Hotel window view
    [​IMG]
    7. Theather platz
    [​IMG]
    8. Neue platz in Riverbed city district
    [​IMG]
    9. Industrial area
    [​IMG]
    10. Cherlicher´s Heights, the place for rich people.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all moders and good luck for all participants of this competition. Sorry for my English.

8. erico96

erico96 Executive

Official Submission

City of Cedarridge, Population: 235 687

Cedarridge is a small North American city situated somewhere around Colorado and Kansas. The city was founded 1879 by german imigrants and had the name Cederkamm for the first 20 years. Today Cedarridge relies on Water and Oil recources, and a smaller income of Tourism.

Philosophy and why I should be considered fo the contest

I wanted to make a small US city because I thought it wouldn't be realistic to build a massive city on this map. I also wanted to convey the "Home-town feel" so you could relate the City with your own hometown. I used some small city in the US for inspiration, for example: Boulder, Wichita and Fort Collins. It took about 2 months to build it and every building is picked individually to fit with my philosophy. Unfourtunally the city crashed before it was done so it isn't 100% the way I wanted it. The photos are the last i managed to take.
    My intention is that my city should be considered for:
    • Best Green City
    • Best Industrial City
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best Realistic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best Commercial City
    The Photos:

1. A Postcard.
    a7162vV.jpg

2. Closer View, Brooker Amusement Park to the left and Cedarridge University to the right. bh7dXmk.jpg

3. Overview of City Center with the Townhall Plaza in the middle.
    4HEcfUW.jpg

4. Overview of the region.
    N2ceKuq.jpg

5. Main Street.
    aRLgtz7.jpg

6. Main Street at night.
    anBMQyT.jpg

7. City Library in the middle and the Shopping square to the left.
    YhZJtyB.jpg

8. Victoria Hill with its famous Hilltop Park and Victoria Rowhouses.
    Pk1LSq3.jpg

9. Industries.
    8zx6Nlt.jpg

10. A beautiful sunrise.
    BxxoLp0.jpg

A HUGE thanks to all modders for making this possible!

9. lnomsim

lnomsim Skilled Worker

La Croisée

Built on irradiated land of United Colonies of Redland, La Croisée is supposed to links territories and improve the exchange of food and industrial good. Like most Redland colonies, the city has also for main goal the purification of soils and air, trying to use only green energy, heavy forestation and purification technologies.

• Best "Green" City
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best futuristic City
    • Best Looking Skyline

1-
    la_croisee___countryside_by_lnomsim-d8e0gfe.jpg
    2-
    la_croisee___skyline_by_lnomsim-d8cw5wg.png
    3-
    [​IMG]
    4-
    [​IMG]
    5-
    [​IMG]
    6-
    [​IMG]
    7-
    [​IMG]

8-
    [​IMG]

9-
    [​IMG]
    10-
    [​IMG]

10. crxtxl

crxtxl Vagabond

Official Submission : Cascadia, Canuckistan, pop 2.5 million

Two 3 lane federally funded highways cross the N-S and E-W corridors, An airport highway was built which branches off from the N to the airport, through a residential, bisect the EW and terminate on the S, An expansion highway was built off the airport highway through the E side of the river to serve the expanding population, it merges onto the EW in a nasty morning commute. An industrial highway which reaches all the way to the upper E down to the S. A further expansion highway branches from the one of the skilled neighborhoods onto the S

All highways are smooth and with realistic grades, all merges and exits have generous acceleration and deceleration lanes.

I zoom in and test drive every road I make to ensure there are no harsh bends or bumps, I visualize having to drive a loaded tanker truck in the snow when judging corners and grades.

I imagine the speed limit on the main highways to be 140 km/h and the aux freeways to be 90 km/h

All the signage is perfect, with some warning signs for the cross over interchanges

All of the bridges are at the maximum height allowed and have clear corridors for ships to pass underneath.

If someone would make a mod for a driving simulator that would be the most amazing thing ever BTW.

The non highway roads are more meandering "spaghetti" style, most go somewhere but will generally follow the terrain to make for a nice smooth road way. Each and every intersection is dead flat at right angles. I only use the bridge type for roads which for some reason has no lights, and costs a ton of upkeep. But there is no other reliable way to make smooth undulating roads.

Buildings are placed Large(5) next to Medium (2) to prevent walls of darkness. Parks may not have a Large built next to them.
    The industrial zone is up NW in the depression to keep all the pollution away from the valley

I play this game mainly for the highways, the Real Highways Mod is absolutely fantastic. I have logged around 3000 hours on the Cities XL,2011,2012,Platinum and consider myself an expert at this game. I see that Cities XXL is coming out but from the screenshots it just looks like the same game with a new sky?? I was very disappointed with the expansion still not fixing bugs like the memory leak, the blue Exec building that does not snap, the red skilled medium building that does not snap. This is still one of the best cities games out there. I enjoyed building on this map and look forward to participating in another :D

Attached Files:

11. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Dear traveler, welcome to Duke's Port!

Once a humble, nameless village on the Bootleg River, Duke's Port rose in significance after Duke Artain bought it and turned it into his residence. While many of the court considered Duke Artain foolish, Duke's Port grew quickly thanks to its strategic location on the crossroads of trading routes.

Over time, its significance started to rival the one of the Capital's. The Ruler of the Land did not regard Duke Artain, his High Advisor, as a friend anymore and what once would seem just a brotherly jealousy quickly changed into an open hatred. Duke Artain saw the menace and ordered the construction of city walls around his city. While many of the noble families turned their back on Duke Artain, fearing the wrath of the Ruler, Artain's connections brought him support from the Free Cities out of the Land. With the resources from commerce and his allies, Artain assured Duke's Port was ready for the upcoming offensive. When the Ruler brought his army to raize the city to ashes, he was confronted by Duke Artain and 1 600 men, volunteers from among the citizens. Although they were outnumbered 5 to 1, the men of Duke's Port fought for three days and nights and, at the dawn of the fourth day, the Ruler finally agreed to discuss a cease-fire. The bravery and success of Duke's Port's men was seen as a symbol of a divine intervention by the Twin Goddess. The Ruler's army refused to fight on and the Ruler was forced to come to an agreement: Duke's Port would be forever a Free City within the Land.

Well, that was the introduction to Duke's Port. The city is actually still a WIP so I am only submitting its "Origins era" pictures for the contest. The city has about 15 thousand inhabitants, with 4 hamlets and a monastery in its vicinity. I am going for a very realistic, historical look, and I hope you find it interesting. Since it is set back in the days where there was no pollution, it is a very green city based on commerce and surrounding agriculture.

The view of Duke's Port from the West
    nQmpqky.jpg

Duke's Port from above
    X9O5S1Q.jpg

Duke's Port from the East with its port
    nPo0QlG.jpg

The Gran Plaza with the Cathedral of the Twin Goddess
    1tagQsh.jpg

Duke's Port's markets are always busy
    9iDRloT.jpg

Duke's Citadel
    zL0y2TP.jpg

Lady Nissah leaving the Citadel for her daily walk on the Heroes' Plaza, where 16 large statues were erected to honor the 1 600 volunteers in the battle against the Ruler
    iLEBI0m.jpg

The Island Monastery up the Boolteg River, the Hamlet of Stoneville in the background
    fFGLV3L.jpg

The Hamlet of Granton in the lower-left corner, surrounded by farms, Duke's Port on the right, and the Hamlet of Deepford and some more farms in the back
    xw1mOXu.jpg

The Hamlet of Deepford to the West and down the Bootleg River, Duke's Port in the background
    HBqd1pA.jpg

12. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Bootleggin City

No photoshop, just contrast and gamma adjustments.

screen_01.jpg
    screen_02.jpg
    screen_03.jpg
    screen_04.jpg
    screen_05.jpg
    screen_06.jpg
    screen_07.jpg

screen_08.jpg
    screen_09.jpg
    screen_10.jpg

Artmaster, Pepino, FussionM and 6 others like this.
  13. sodiuml

sodiuml Vagabond

Hello everyone! I only just recently found this contest, and only had enough time to make a city for one category. As much as I would have loved to expand my city and enter it for the best realistic city, I have to suck it up and just go for best looking skyline. I am not proficient in Photo Shop, so there are no glamorous edited pics unfortunately (though sunrise and sunset do set the mood oh so well). What you are seeing is 100% raw goodness! I Hope you enjoy!

The City of Herocca

cxl_screenshot_tiecot_11.jpg

Founded on the banks of the Bootleg River, the city began it's life as a crossroad in the heart of the colony of Agastasia. It wasn't until the country became an independent state that the city flourished into a trading mecca. Though not the capital of the country, Herocca quickly became the second largest city in the nation and has continued to hold that position.

cxl_screenshot_tiecot_1.jpg

However in the late 19th century, the capital was heavily bombed and parliament moved to Herocca temporarily. It remained in the city for almost three decades, and subsequently, a grand building was constructed to house it by enthusiastic Heroccans who believed the city would naturally become the new capital.
    cxl_screenshot_tiecot_17.jpg

Though their dream never came true, and parliament returned to the capital, Herocca continued its importance as a vibrant and commercially successful city.

cxl_screenshot_tiecot_16.jpg

cxl_screenshot_tiecot_21.jpg

The university and old town.

cxl_screenshot_tiecot_5.jpg
    cxl_screenshot_tiecot_18.jpg

cxl_screenshot_tiecot_7.jpg

cxl_screenshot_tiecot_3.jpg

cxl_screenshot_tiecot_19.jpg

Thank you!

14. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Come and visit: ! "Nutopia" !
    Something for everyone. For the Kids, exciting rides plus lots of wild adventures through history that they can actually see and touch. Exclusive Golfing for Dad, and of course, there's plenty shopping for Mom. For you Singles, come see how the "Bootleg" peninsula springs to life after dark. And don't forget to take home plenty of the xlnation's favorite illegal beverage.
    Tickets are ON SALE now. Clik in the next ten minutes on "awww.bootleggers.hic" and get 50% off ticket price and 2 free gallons of good ole' clear "shine". REHAB not provided.
    See ya'll soon! No1.jpg No2.jpg No3.jpg No4.jpg No5.jpg No6.jpg No7.jpg No8.jpg No9.jpg No010.jpg

15. Ernest007

Ernest007 Skilled Worker

Somewhere in Northwest America, There's a city on mountainous landscape along with Bootleg river. A small town that have a history since 1912 turns into a busy and beautiful city called Winstonford. Today, this city is a home for 620.000 people. The green park, interchanges, old towns and holiday were attracting people to lives here. And a realistic American style city is here!.

Well, come take a look at the city!.

Thank you for visiting Winstonford :)

Artmaster, FussionM, buell and 2 others like this.
  16. parisenforce

parisenforce Skilled Worker

Botterive
    Cities and towns of this valley joined themselves into one urban agglomeration under the name of Botterive. They gather finances and management to plan the growth of the population. That´s how they were able to build a good network of roads and highways, as well as the modernisation of the international airport and the harbour. cxl_screenshot_botterive_69.jpg cxl_screenshot_botterive_58.jpg cxl_screenshot_botterive_48.jpg

Attached Files:

Artmaster, FussionM and buell like this.
  17. alvariito

alvariito Vagabond

City of RIOFRÍO (160.000 pop.)

1. Old quarter view
    rio01.jpg

2. "Malaspina" Square
    rio02.jpg

3. "Famagusta" Palace rio03.jpg

4. "San Mateo del Arco" Cathedral & Protectorado Square rio04.jpg

5. "Valderija" District
    rio05.jpg

6. Panoramic view of Riofrío and the hills rio06.jpg

7. "La Goleta" Commercial Discrict rio07.jpg

8. Panoramic view of "Mesana River" rio08.jpg

9. "1 de Abril" Square rio09.jpg

10. The city over the hills rio10.jpg

18. buell

buell Skilled Worker

Leytonstone! cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_28.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_33.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_35.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_36.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_30.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_44.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_27.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_42.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_41.jpg cxl_screenshot_leytonstone_34.jpg

19. FussionM

FussionM Executive

The mini state of Iera Odos, located between Greece and Macedonia.
    Population 815.000
    6.jpg
    Competing for:

• Best "Industrial" City
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best "Historical" City
    • Best Looking Skyline
    • Best Looking Harbor
    • Best Looking Airport

Hope you like my project, a Cj should follow when I get to finish the rest of the city.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      343.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      495.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      324.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      269.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      370.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      455.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      274.5 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      402.9 KB
      Views:
    Pepino, kipate and Ammar Shaker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.