1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2015 "Gonaives[戈纳伊夫]" Map Contest Submissions

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

XLN_Banner-1.png
    "Gonaives[戈纳伊夫]" Map City Building Contest

During the Month of August 2015 City Builders may submit up to 10 individual photos (no combining photos into a montage) for consideration in the contest. Only one entry per person.

Please DO NOT post Mega Screenshots, not everyone has Fiber into their homes.

• Only posts with official photo submissions are allowed. Any other comments or replies will be deleted from this thread. (If you want to talk about submissions pick a new thread)
    • Entries in the Contest need to include the name of your City and if you desire a "pitch" about why your city is the best or what category you hope to win.
    • If you want to update and or replace your Official Entry prior to the end of January 2015 please contact me or a moderator to have your older post removed. We want to avoid confusion with multiple entries.
    On September 1, 2015, a poll with the official entries will open. The XLNation community will vote for their 3 favorite cities. The Top 3 Winners will receive a unique medal and 15/10/5 Trophy points. When the poll opens, comments from the XLNation Community are encouraged. Cheer on your favorites or campaign for a winner. Any photos submitted after the poll opens will be deleted!

Category Winners will be judged by a private panel of 5 non-city building people fans. Most will know nothing about Cities XL and will base their judgements solely on the photo submissions and the categories. Winners will receive a unique medal and 10 Trophy points. There is one winner per category. All winners will be announced when the poll officially closes.

Here are the categories:
    • Best rural or farm region
    • Best "Green" City
    • Best "Industrial" City
    • Best RHM interchanges and highways
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best futuristic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best "Historical" City
    • Best "Commercial" City
    • Best Looking Skyline
    • Best Looking Harbor
    • Best Looking Airport
    Good Luck everyone. Official Entries will be accepted from August 2nd to August 31st, 2015

Pamascus27, chenchuan, XOUSTE and 4 others like this.
  2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Villa Rica, just south of the Appalachian mountain range and alongside the Tallapoosa river basin, stands on land ceded by the Creek people with the second Treaty of Indian Springs, signed by Chief William McIntosh in 1825. In 1826, farmers and gold miners began arriving from the areas of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware to what was then known as "Hixtown".
    vr01.jpg

The name Villa Rica, derived from the Spanish for "rich village", was chosen to promote a little known gold rush there from 1820 to 1829, punctuating a Wild West atmosphere complete with native Americans, horse thieves, brothels, gambling halls and vigilante justice. The city was finally incorporated and constructed a city hall in 1881, just one year before the first train rolled through on the highly anticipated new railroad.
    vr02.jpg

Bankhead Highway, the second transcontinental highway in the United States and the first all-weather one, passed though in 1917 and rerouted though town (Main Street) in 1930 taking out most of the city's surviving original structures. Only the original train depot and county courthouse remain, though both have been extensively restored.
    vr03.jpg

Smart business men finding wealth in the sales of mining supplies and equipment had unknowingly set the city on a path to becoming a major distribution and shipping hub. The city's location, just a day from the Gulf of Mexico via waterway and only a few hours away from the Atlantic by road, contributed to the city's growth and stability, but for most of its 180 year history, Villa Rica was a small rural railroad and factory town. Many thought the opening of interstate 20 in 1977 would provide faster economic growth, but it wasn't until the last decade these ideas were realized.
    vr04.jpg

On June 25, 2010, the Villa Rica Logistics Group Inc. and Madeline Madalff, retired Villa Rica mayor (and rumored to be the third ex-wife of the famous tycoon), conceived, designed, and began construction of the Mirror Lake business park and community, simultaneously cleaning up the lake environment, and demolishing all high polluting factories and smelting operations. Her efforts boomed the population to a staggering 1.6 million virtually overnight, with the city's economy boasting the 29th lowest unemployment rate in the nation.
    vr05.jpg

The Group solely financed the construction of the airport and distribution facilities, including a regional U.S.P.S. sorting facility.
    vr06.jpg

A huge expansion of the shipping docks and warehouse complex,
    vr07.jpg

And a state of the art trade center.
    vr08.jpg

Also constructed was a high security gold depository to house the wealth of prominent traders and what little gold that's still being mined to this day. Rumors abound that there is no actual gold left stored in the depository due to current world economy, yet a high level of security is clearly maintained. Many of the locals refer to it as "the mayor's jewelry box".
    vr09.jpg
    Welcome to Villa Rica.
    vr10.jpg

3. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Triton's Land

OGnSt7.jpg

It is a rock
    that fell from sky
    without a name
    without a fight

w6PFua.jpg

and as the dawn slowly comes
    and the nights away go
    it's a rock that merely sums
    whatever, everything we 'll know

e29mLs.jpg

It's an island on a rock
    it's a mass of land to walk
    and the height is even high
    where the light is almost dry

[​IMG]

and people said 'we 'll have to live'
    and people said 'we must suceed'
    and when they came up to this point
    they said 'we 'll have to live and join'

[​IMG]

'Here we will come
    we 'll lay our thumb
    our time to give
    and all to live'

[​IMG]

These said the men
    below the sun
    'We want to make
    all that. . . 'fun!'

[​IMG]

they built the cliffs
    they built the slopes
    and brought up here
    all their hopes

[​IMG]

they built the churches
    and all the rest
    but had all their faith at last
    at test

[​IMG]

because every dark without moon night
    as the dusk would bring the blight
    Triton would rise from the sea
    to make the wind blow. . . for all to see. . .

[​IMG]

4. cbisson

cbisson Unskilled Worker

Almeara, a modern industrial and commercial city:

I took so many shots, it was really hard to narrow it down from ~45 to 10. I'm not going to add a history or too much descriptions here, as I think I will do a CJ with much more depth. But three notes as you can't really see in the satellite picture well: 1) the southwestern beach is untouched, but the screenshot got messed up for some reason, 2) the blue lake to the east is a reservoir and dam leading to that river, and 3) A very special thanks to any modders whose work is included in this city. Anyways, I had a lot of fun building this city and there's more I would like to do, but for the sake of the contest I will leave this city as is for a while. I hope you all had fun and good luck to all entries!

cbisson Almeara 01.jpg

Almeara International Airport:
    cbisson Almeara 02 Almeara International Airport.jpg

Bay Area and Convention Centers (Morningcloud Golf on the right):
    cbisson Almeara 03 Bay Area and Convention Centers.jpg

A view from Almearawood: (Exceptionally Elite Area)
    cbisson Almeara 04 Almearawood.jpg

I-88 Downtown Connectors and Bypasses with Modderl Memorial Bridge in the background:
    cbisson Almeara 05 I-88 Downtown and Bypasses.jpg

Kisain Village, Merrilor Cemetery, and I-59 & I-42 Junction:
    cbisson Almeara 06 Merrilor Cemetery.jpg

Malkieri Recreational Grove with Almearawood in the background:
    cbisson Almeara 07 Malkieri Grove.jpg

Almeara University:
    cbisson Almeara 08 Almeara University.jpg

Middle Park East:
    cbisson Almeara 09 Middle Park East.jpg
    Jikan Square:
    cbisson Almeara 10 Jikan Square.jpg

5. kipate

kipate Governor

So, new submission try, could create a more finished-looking scenery:
    My entry: Harwich.
    An American-looking city, with idol cities like Boston, for instance; I wanted to create
    a New England & Indian Summer feeling there, I hope you can confirm ;)

I have had a lots of fun (and pain, too) with building the city, constructing the airport,
    and I hope I will find the time to finish the city and create a city journal,
    I have already developed so many little anecdotes in my head...

So, as the city unfortunately is not fully finished (200,000 people), I only want to go for some categories,
    e.g. best skyline, as well as best industrial and most realistic city...
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

6. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

City of Königsdorf (Koenigsdorf)​

This is an european city mostly inspired by german cities like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt and several others. Current population at about 1.2 million. Its not the capital of a country, but the capital of a state. Names are mostly german, so im going to translate them additionally. I hope you like it and i can win a category (Best "Green" City, Best Parks and Plazas, Best realistic City, Best "Historical" City, Best "Commercial" City, Best Looking Skyline).

Königsplatz (Kingssquare), a famous square for events.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_332.jpg

Karolinenplatz (Karolinensquare), a big roundabout on northern main street with a statue of King Ludwig I on it. Surrounded by office and commercial buildings.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_337.jpg

Shibuya district next to central business district (skyline). you can see Königsdorf central station in the background. One of the three famous shopping streets in my city.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_342.jpg

Mainstreet throug a popular residential district next to Königsdorfer south-park. Citizens love my efficient puplic transportation system which causes a very high tram usage. A new metro is planned to replace this tram line.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_350.jpg

Central library seen from main-street bridge passing rail-tracks next to central station.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_352.jpg

Another popular residential district seen from above. You can see the bridge and central library from picture above on the top left corner. Also parts of the central (rail) station, central bus station and parts of northern shibuya are shown in this picture. On the top you can see the river "Königsaache" separating historical center from the southern part of my city.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_353.jpg

Mainstreet connecting Königsdorf with the formerly independent city of Friedrichsheim, which is now part of Königsdorf. A lot of big stores are located on this outlying area. You can see the skyline, convention center and harbour bridge, connecting the penisula, in the background.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_361.jpg

Forecourt of a big rail station next to passenger cruise port. Lots of shops, restaurants and pubs are located here due to high commuting frequency of my citizens.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_362.jpg

Englischer Garten (english garden) with chinese tower and beergarden on a small island. This place next to river Königsaache is a famous place to relax and enjoying freetime.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_376.jpg

Closeup of a little pond in the english garden. Lots of birds and fish live here. You can also see this pond on the bottom of picture above.
    cxl_screenshot_königsdorf_377.jpg

PS: no photo editing software has been used for this submission :D

7. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Official submission: Papillon

Eco-friendly, commuter friendly

This is Papillon. Citizens are proud to be an eco-friendly city of over 3 million. There are two major highway systems that loop around the city, but subway stations abound and most people take the metro. With over 90 metro lines, 53% of the transportation budget is for public transportation.

Butterfly haven
    Papillon sits alongside Papillon Bay, where thousands of butterflies stop every year along their migratory path. The city center was built directly on the bay, with ferry service linking it to the main harbor and industrial areas. Along the coast and rivers city planners have developed a large infrastructure of parks and green space so that migrating butterflies stop every year. In fact, 5% of the city's $2.58 million dollar budget is spent on parks and landmarks.

City development
    The city is laid out with two separate industrial areas (SW/NE) and two separate agricultural areas(NW/SE). Residential areas are generally smaller and somewhat mixed use, laid out to minimize commute time and to keep traffic manageable. A large vacation hotel and resort area is under development in the Northwest along the beach, next to the city's smaller shipping harbor and second cruise port.

The holiday beach and hotel area is not shown. Papillon International Airport is also not shown, and Papillon is not an historical city. Otherwise, please consider this city for all contest categories.

(click to see full size)
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4cmp.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

8. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

Jicheng Coast
    戟城海岸

After a month of city building time, Jicheng city is finished. This is my first time to take part in XLnation city building contest. XLnation, a home for all CitiesXL player in this world. Just like Jicheng city, no matter where are you come from, this place is beautiful, livable and wonderful,
    welcome to Jicheng Coast.

2015-08-31_00005_副本.jpg

9. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Welcome to Laadwadesh ( লাদ্বদেশ ), a city located in Bangladesh coast. This city isn't supposed to be very beautiful and you probably don't want to live there but if you have a closer look at the city you will find some nice things to visit. There are 10 pictures of the most notable places in Laadwadesh.
    The city can be considered for best rural region, best green city, best industrial city, best historical city, best looking skyline and mainly best realistic city, best parks. I hope you will like this city and good luck everyone !

10. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

Calcifer,
    Steeped in it's multicultural history Calcifer is a old medieval Mediterranean fishing harbor . With it's wondrous parks and plaza's, castles and beaches, it's a great Vacation get away the whole family will enjoy
    Take a ride on the Calcifer express and view this green city and its rural farm lands and other cultural destinations, Calcifer1.jpg Come sail away
    Come sail away.jpg Sitting on the dock of the bay,
    Sitting on the dock of the bay.jpg
    Calcifer Express, Calcifer Express.jpg
    Lazy dayz Lazy dayz.jpg
    Open Court Open court.jpg
    Sea breeze Sea breeze.jpg Farm lands, farm land.jpg
    Kensington Reservoir Kensington Resevoir.jpg
    Chizang, Chizang.jpg

11. Boomer

Boomer Unskilled Worker

Wellington

A History Lesson

On the evening of 17th June 1815 3 Friends met on a muddy cart track outside the farmhouse of La Haye Sainte. In driving rain they stood underneath a large oak tree and swore an oathe to each other that if they survived the bloody battle they anticipated the following day they would each cash in their commissions and take up the peaceful pursuit of farming.

The next day would be etched in history, the Battle of Waterloo. Despite horrendous casualties, the three soldiers, Lieutenant Moore of the Foot Guards, Lieutenant Somerville of the Heavy Dragoons and Lieutenant Mercer of the 95th Rifles somehow managed to survive.

They kept their oathe and in May 1816 boarded the English frigate HMS Goliathe bound for Australia/New Zealand.

Upon reaching Australia they pooled together their belongings and bought a small sloop and began exploring some small islets and islands west of New Zealand. In doing so they came upon an island with an idyllic bay and rich friable soil. They new immediately that they had finally reached their destination.

They named the new land Wellington, in honour of their Commander in Chief and each of the 3 men set out to explore the land. They discovered 3 rivers which they named after themselves although as they would later joke, Somerville got the worst of it because the Somerville River was not so much of a river as a small inlet!

The 3 men successfully set up 3 separate farming communities in the region and so began the embryonic State known as Wellington. The men prospered and honoured their commitment living in peace and tranquillity. Each community grew into a small regional town and they named each of the towns after their commanding officers, Uxbridge, Picton and Somerset.

Now almost 200 years on and Wellington is a thriving region of around half a million people – the 3 regional towns are still there although urban sprawl threatens to meld them into one.

What was once purely a farming community has become a hub for commercial exports including oil and gas. The Agricultural College they set up in 1839 is now the famous Wellington University and with an expanding port and airport the nation stands as a testament to eternal friendship, peace and determination.

Attached Files:

Sin City 5, FussionM, Monty and 11 others like this.
  12. Sasquatch88

Sasquatch88 Executive

Whitestock

Welcome in Whitestock, an modern city with rich history!
    Although city is unfinished, you can still enjoy lots of beautiful views! Enjoy!

hBArpo1-yAMjR7ynNqkbzvqKUvUNf6mb2MH7NdcmA-E=w1480-h925-no.jpg

One of Whitestock's rural areas
    -eY1Xjgm1jyy1UPpvS64TflpOVST37f8lnNdAXX5cZA=w1480-h925-no.jpg

2YrH0q7ZGmd0cojzgDo6g9RLR4mJC1_DcemTTj8GK9Q=w1480-h925-no.jpg

J4j3Br0_cXrnYheVOFVQ38b7gG89FyTsrtXFL5c-nsQ=w1480-h925-no.jpg

SfFpZ_OT6F_bYpKSfOoHwucv8IbjdZ90IN4Xd-suD20=w1480-h925-no.jpg

An medieval castle. The name of the city comes from the hill on which it is located.
    Ua80cCFWmCG24TrKjhwiZEFxANr-Gr7A8WtwFYdtkVM=w1480-h925-no.jpg

WNUnXzwD1d73LPTchfcyEeUB6CKroqMP4o1-GqVPg0g=w1480-h925-no.jpg

An University of Science and Technology
    50DxsdqDD7ihaziKXv4Z7KHkpmZxHR5yDZpQ5Kqu6BE=w1480-h925-no.jpg

bFxg4ZJsBDk7rVVHfWnT6Ud-i_1zmwALvvSeWJK_LqQ=w1480-h925-no.jpg

mygjS1Jo7-ITae6OAFX3paD5j8WxvIi9yeege_TJv-c=w1480-h925-no.jpg

Sin City 5, FussionM, Monty and 11 others like this.
  13. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Amoreille

The city of sailors

Peter_002.jpg

View of the city as of 1654, painting by the famous painter Le Kipateu

_______________________________________________________________________________

Amoreille - one of the major ports in northern France. It was founded in 9th century as a trading outpost
    between England and The Kingdom of France. Not being affected by Viking raids laid its path as a major
    maritime trading city. This takes us into current time, 17th century ,a dawn of a new era for the city. An era
    of
    unwitnessed prosperity and flourishment as a major trading and cultural center in northern France.

cxl_screenshot_whoknowa_39.jpg

Overview of the city, 1650. The city grew to its own walls at this time.

cxl_screenshot_whoknowa_48.jpg

Grande Cathédrale, completed in 1480, is the main cathedral of the city is one of symbols
    of prosperity the city is experiencing as a major maritime trade point . The legend says that
    God gave the idea of its construction to the city bishop. When he saw the plans of the building,
    he ordered the architect to be blindened to never plan such a magnificient building again.
    His ghost is said to be still roaming the catacombs underneath.

cxl_screenshot_whoknowa_46.jpg

The northern side of the city in 1651. Here can be seen the next dominants - Grande Cathedrále
    The city clock - constructed around 1600, it is a spectacular mechanical wonder of the city
    The Orthodox synagogue - completed in 1584 it is the only synagogue in the region, serving
    the large jewish community of Amoreille. Due to the importance of the city and many foreign
    traders it is one of the most open-minded cities in France to other cultures and religions.
    The chruch of Saint Paul - completed in 1642, it is the most recent dominant of the city.
    The original plans were to construct its bell tower higher then the one of Grande Cathedrále.
    This sparked outrage and the building had to be replanned by a different architect.

cxl_screenshot_whoknowa_42.jpg

The sight which can be seen when a ship is approaching the city. The most new stone buildings
    are placed on the waterfront, with plans to replan its core after a plague epidemy in 1591

Ok3h1he.jpg

The city on a rainy day, 1649. The chaotic coexistence of medieval timber houses with the new
    stone buildings can be seen on this painting

cxl_screenshot_whoknowa_47.jpg

Sunset over the harbor, cca 1650. In the seventeenth century this was one of the biggest French ports
    and the first one that saw goods from the "New W
    orld". In the background, the Grande Cathedrále
    can be seen with an unthreatened dominance over the city

The end

Special thanks to kipate for photoediting the first picture

The category I hope to win with this city - Best historical city

Attached Files:

14. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Here is Pandorisa!

Its not 100% finished but some areas were pretty much finished.
    The city had plans for a huge airport but cash flow become an issue so it was not completed.
    screen01.jpg
    screen02.jpg
    screen03.jpg
    screen04.jpg
    screen05.jpg
    screen06.jpg
    screen07.jpg
    screen08.jpg
    screen09.jpg
    screen10.jpg

15. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

Ahh.......Just in time.
    This is my entry -- Gracemeria

Jhoqpll.jpg

Attached Files:

Kitsunebi, Razox, Sin City 5 and 13 others like this.
  16. marryson123

marryson123 Executive

I'll upload what I have lol.

City name is Sorover!

I am mainly competing for the RHM highway catagory. My highways and interchanges are based 100% on actual American style freeways. They are not unrealistically fancy and can be found on google map.

Below-grade expressway in downtown area. inspired by most american downtown freeways.
    cxl_screenshot_contest_60.jpg

cxl_screenshot_contest_40.jpg
    A 4-level stack interchange.
    cxl_screenshot_contest_48.jpg
    Elevated waterfront freeway with collector/express setup. The entrance/exit was inspired by the elevated entrance/exit in GTA5 near the gunshop. cxl_screenshot_contest_43.jpg
    cxl_screenshot_contest_57.jpg
    Some shots of the underneath space of the freeway. It has parking lots and ghetto area with graffiti on the wall.
    cxl_screenshot_contest_51.jpg cxl_screenshot_contest_54.jpg

17. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Contest Submissions are now closed, good luck to everyone. It's now time for the voting, thanks to everyone who participated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.