1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohpo

An Atlantic Oasis

1. Inan

Inan Governor

Inan submitted a new resource:

Ohpo - An Atlantic Oasis

Read more about this resource...

2. kipate

kipate Governor

As always, there are some small points that I dislike, let's get over with them quickly, and then go back to the appraisal ;)

1) I think Ohpo does not need an airport, especially so close to the center. It's a nice view at first glance, but I have to say, the taxiways are quite cheaply done, the building composition (huge ATC tower next to a small terminal) looks out of place. You could have done better and you already have built better airports!
    2) Just a bit of nitpicking, but as someone who visited the Rance Tidal Power Plant close to St. Malo, I can tell you there are no rocks nearby.
    3) The architectural styles sometimes don't match, e.g. around the market square. But that's just my taste.
    4) The golf course deserves a re-do ;) The plazas look quite edgy, and you could use the striped grass plazas. I know, I know... it takes time and patience, but the course in Bay City was great!

But now... the rest is gorgeous! I love how you used the no-collision mods to create the raw material factories. It may look like a chaotic and unorganised placement of mods, but if one looks closely, he/she will see how all the mods work together, great job!
    I further love the monastery, and yeah, the choice of the church is better, its modesty fits in well with the rest :) And I can recognize that you put all lot more effort into the monastery and the graveyard than into some other stuff mentioned above :p ;)
    I love the idea of the tidal power plant and except for the large rocks, I enjoy seeing your realisation. And it's nice to see that you also worked on the bridge as well!
    Next, the cave is fantastic, great job on putting it all together :) I wonder if I would dare to jump into the waters there :D
    Of course, all the small things that you placed here and there add a lot to the general atmosphere, the stadium, the hospital, the old town, the port area, the things that "make" the city - by the way, the Titanic is a bit like "Finding Waldo" on a easy level :D
    Regarding the old town, I can tell that I like how you sticked to low-rise European style buildings. As said, some combinations look out place (that is the case even in my cities), but in general, I like your approach of combining the Dutch row houses with the Latin Pack (y)

Kitsunebi likes this.
  3. Inan

Inan Governor

Hi drazic! Thanks for the review. I want to take a stand to the critism you mentioned. You find my words below yours:

"First of all, I am very happy to see you with a new city!
    Where to start, there is so much to say;
    I am overwhelmed by everything, there is a lot, a lot of infrastructure, a lot of ideas, a lot of good ideas.

But before listing the positives I would like to start by drawing your attention to what could be improved.

Points to improve :
    - Well, actually not much. But if all the same, there is still a point or two that can be improved.
    - The break at the level of the main bridge of the tidal power plant.
    The bridge and more particularly the road seems broken at the level of the connection with the roads covered with stone paving which are built on both sides ...

Oh drazic...what should i say to you? When i saved the game, everything was okay. When i loaded the the city again, this bug was there suddenly - at both crossings at the bridge. I was not able to fix it again for this two crossings, whatever i tried. Redoing the paved road in several angles and heights, with different roads, even renewing the bridge did not bring a satisfactory result. At least i could fix 1 out of 2...-_-
    I love the game as much as i hate it at the same time... I wonder that kipate was not mentioning that bridge-flaw...lol

- The golf course, at the level of the "plazas" layout. This one could have been done with a little more application. I mean a little more rounded, a little softer, less square, less raw ...

Unfortunately many mods don't work for me. They don't work anymore or don't work correctly. I mean for example: The parking garage from Aitortillas modular airport mod is gone out of the menu. The rest of this mod is there, but not the garage. Nobody else has this problem as far as i know. As mentioned: I love the game as much as i hate it at the same time. And the same problem is it here with this perfectly round road-mod. This mod is perfectly suited for golf plazas (you know, for the little Greens inside the "holes 1-18". It is gone...It is nowhere in the menu... But you are right. I can make it look better: I can just delete the squared plazas and replace it with the normal green.

Now, here are all the points that I particularly appreciated and on which I took a lot of pleasure to contemplate the images!
    - The city in general is top notch, well built, well balanced, all the buildings are homogeneous, with a roof tile coloring and quite similar architecture, and typically European! That, I must say that it is very successful!

- This hospital, which seems simple at first glance, is extremely fair! Yes, yes, that's just what it takes with the right buildings, the two buildings on either side with a MODULAR CONVENTION CENTER structure, fit together perfectly, an entrance for emergencies, perfect, nickel !

- The rock is awesome! This staircase around the rock is a marvel. This way he goes around the rock by nested buildings one after the other is a real success!
    However on the top of the rock I would have appreciated a texture in the same shade as the stairs so that the whole is more coherent.
    For example, replace the gray-brown cobblestone path with a lighter path or a plaza that matches Monty's stairs.
    My idea was that the lower path belongs to the church, the paved plaza infront of that church and to the monastery. But i know what you mean...

- The cemetery downstairs is simple but very nice, it might have deserved one or two trees to be more realistic ....
    It was a pain in the ass to create that cemetery. I decided to keep the "raw" ground and not to add a green grass plaza there, cause it fits better to get the right mood of a cemetery. You know what happens when i place a tree there: The ground rises and the tombstones vanish underneath.
    I think it is a matter of taste how much trees i place in a cemetery. The two big pines fit great with their look.

- Nieuw Ohpo: this central square is splendid, I like the choice of the central building and the idea of a daily market or Christmas market that is being prepared for the end of year celebrations for example.
    Also the two monuments are well established (apart from the ground, a pity that it is not straight, which gives us a monument base eaten by a plaza, I would have appreciated a better realization, I know that it is is very complicated with Cities XL ... after more than 10 years of playing, I can see it's a small flaw)
    But this is a fact you can see in hilly towns and cities with bottoms of monuments and statues there. There are fluid transitions between the ground and the 3 or 4 stairs to the statue. I mean, i did not plan it to do so, but i find it to be common. But maybe this is a wrong thinking by myself when it comes to CXL.

Anyway, this place is remarkable (I like these little details where we see small vehicles delivering the goods)

- The chasm with its campsite.
    It's still a fucking good idea, a perfect tourist spot!
    Nevertheless, I find that the realization is unfortunately not perfect. I see too much rock piling up on top of each other!

I know what you mean. I could have done it with more different rocks and maybe a little more accurate, especially right above the entrance to the cave...
    While I did not have this impression on the "rock" with the staircase and its cemetery.

The airport is nice, the football stadium well equipped, the freight ports, the marinas, the shopping center, the marinas, there are a lot of things in this city! It's really awesome. everything is there!

Oh, I was going to forget the Marémotrice, it is nevertheless one of the outstanding achievements of this city! Staggering is the word that comes to mind.

To conclude, I would say that this city is for me one of your best realized cities! In any case, I took great pleasure in scrolling through the images.

I take my hat off to you, this city is how I like them, realistic, it's a pearl!

PS: Do not pay attention to the "negative" criticisms that I formulated in this opinion, you are among the best, at this level of achievement and construction of the city, it is just to look for the little beast. And then it's just a game !!"

Thanks for the nice words and for taking time to give so much feedback in kipate style :p
    I am going to answer kipate tomorrow :)

Kitsunebi and Drazicdesign like this.
  4. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

It is I who thank you for sharing your city, and for your answers!(y)

Like you, I too love this game as much as I hate it!
    This game could have been a marvel, if the Monte Cristo studio had not gone bankrupt, and if FOCUS, had given itself the means to finish the game ....:mad:

And I know, that most of the negative reviews I have made are not your doing, but are generally related to the behavior of the game, or the lack of mods.

Thank you,

Kitsunebi and Inan like this.
  5. Inan

Inan Governor

Thanks also to you for the detailed review - as always. So let me answer to your points:
    1. Of course every (western) island or island group with a significant population has an airport or at least a landing strip. I think you mean the size and the location close to the town. Well, right, i could have choosen a smaller ATC-Tower, but i liked the view of the airport from a little far away. Also i liked all the little details i could place there like the freight entrance, the private aviation, the restaurant, the cargo zone etc. And the taxiways...hmm, i just do not really understand how "spectacular" a taxiway has to be, especially when there is only a small airport...
    2. Maybe. I am not an engineer, but i think the main process is done under water and rocks don't really matter... But yes, you may be right.
    3. As you mentioned, it is a matter of taste.
    4. See reply to drazics review.

For the rest: Thank you for the nice words. We are all waiting for your new American city ;-)

6. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, I have had similar problems, so I know how frustrating it can be to change bridges again and again ;)

Well, but the airport could be located some miles apart from the city center, I don't think that it's overly important to have an airport within any city :D
    And well, given a smaller size of the airport, you will have more time to make the airport look more realistic :p

I hope that there are some other people out there that recognize the beauty of your creation as well :)

Inan likes this.
  7. Inan

Inan Governor

Well it seems that i do not turn into an expert for airports anymore...
    This island maybe has no other option for airportlocations :D:p

I did not expect many responses and reactions for Ohpo, cause i know the activity here is almost 0... so no problem:)lets see if i get 5 Reviews until christmas

8. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

I can't add much to the reviews of Drazic and kipate... the tidal power plant is a great idea and the cave is something special as well! Also the raw material factory is awesome! I love these things :love: also, the base of the monuments wouldn't bother me - it looks just like that in real life when they are on uneven ground.

The two rocks (monastery and the windmill) are a bit like Minecraft however :whistle::LOL:

Well it seems we have similar feelings and problems with this game :unsure::ROFLMAO: sometimes buildings disappear for me, too... for example the TransAm Pyramid and the Sidney Opera House are just gone and there are certain buildings that make the game crash when I place them.
    Stuff like that bridge bug happens as well but I get the feeling it depends on the steepness of the smaller roads that you probably added later to the bridge. If these are too steep they drag the bridge down just the way it happened to you.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to updates :D:D

Drazicdesign likes this.
  9. Inan

Inan Governor

Thank you. I always try to create something new, something innovative what i haven't seen yet here. I especially like the view of the cave with that nice shadow effect. I needed several starts for the tidal power plant, cause i didn't know how to implement it to the bridge and also give it a little bit of a structure. Such power plants are not that spectacular looking from outside... About the bug with the bridge...yes you may be right. But i just wondered why it worked the first time, and after loading it again this "bug" appeared and it never worked again, althought i started it again from the beginning and i did the same as before...:unsure:

And:
    Minecraft?!?!?:confused: You mean the two mentioned rocks look like they are from MINECRAFT, the chunky pixelated game?o_O If this is a joke or you meant something else, i don't get it...

Thanks nonetheless for the review and the 5*. Nice to see you around :)

10. Inan

Inan Governor

11. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

The bridge bug is really weird. When that happens I try to decrese the steepness of the adjacent roads. You need to build them less steep than you could because if there is a "crossing" (a corner connection), then the road is dragged down a little bit and this affects all the rest that is connected.

I mean the rocks are a bit square, not very natural in shape... :LOL:

12. kipate

kipate Governor

The course area close to the golf club house looks really well done! Nice work with the different plazas (y)
    And your small squares within the downtown area are fascinating to view :)

By the way:
    I saw the sign :p

Drazicdesign likes this.
  13. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

[​IMG]

Ah yes, I forgot to tell you that I love this image! :)

kipate likes this.
  14. Inan

Inan Governor

@Project_Oz How are you with your waterfall project? I did several attempts, but still have no idea how to do it...:ROFLMAO:

15. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Unfortunately for another 6 months maybe more I can't play

16. Inan

Inan Governor

kipate likes this.
  17. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Seriously? A hole.
    You are killing me. Now I will lose a few weeks to make holes
    Register or to view Spoiler content!
    You and your damn hole.:mad:

P.S.
    It's always a pleasure to see your masterpieces.

Inan likes this.
  18. Inan

Inan Governor

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thank you! Yes indeed i am trying to create new stuff, what we haven't seen yet. Challenging after all those years of XLN :)
    Your waterfall-concept was so f*cking creative and really very well executed with so much details, i am sure your volcano will be too (y)
    Keen on your result!

Project_Oz likes this.