1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

CXL Platinum On Linux?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by giangiacometto, Oct 3, 2014.

1. giangiacometto

giangiacometto Vagabond

Hello everybody,
    I am here for a question, already answered somewhere I'm sure, but for which I've never found a definitive solution.
    I am currently playing the game in win xp, dual-booted with ubuntu 14.04 (which I prefer more and more) on a quite old, yet sincere Pentium 4, 3Gb ram. In order to avoid to boot the pc each game session, I'd like to run it through wine / playonlinux.
    I found some videos showing gamers doing the thing, and some uneasy information on the wine site, too, which is not sufficient to me to make the operation working. I personally have one more complication in the fact that I originally purchased 2011's dvd, and then upgraded it to platinum via the 5 euros patch; so in my unsuccessful tentative ubuntu wine was trying to install the 2011 game, not finding the upgrading patch.
    If someone reading is acknowledged enough in the subject, please, would he (she?) spend half an hour in writing down a detailed (means: for dummies) tutorial about all the previous operations to do in order to play CXL on Linux?
    Thanks.

2. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

have You try using virtual machine?
    but it needs more cpu power and more memory since You were running 2 OS at same time

3. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

Didn't work for me on several ubuntu versions and wine versions

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Another reason why I have not dumped windows. I love some of the Linux versions that are available though.