1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Organisation of mods XL & XXL

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by skullz613, Feb 21, 2016.

1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Thought I would make a post about this as its been a problem for me since XXL came out.
    I keep my mods stored in there catagory folders under the game version on my external drive. I thought I would do the same for XXL but now some mods are compatible with both versions its becoming harder to organise. Note that these are backed up mods and not the ones in the games paks or mods folders.
    How do you guys save and sort them all now we have XXL?

2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Typically a "Mods" folder with sub folders titled to match the resource category titles. Makes finding a particular mod/.patch much easier without having to do a "search".
    Outside of any sub folder - all Dependency mods and what few last loading mods that start with zz's.
    Transportation sub folders that are catorgorized tran-road, tran-bridge, tran-airport, tran-harbor, tran-etc..etc.
    Of course the well worn "Test" folder.
    and a couple of individual author's folders.

I've found that most of the XXL specific mods are titled with the "XXL" which works well enough, for me, to keep the old and new identified.

3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

What I have is folders like this,

Buildings
    Leisure
    Plazas
    Maps

etc, etc... under a folder called XL2012 and started doing the same for XXL. Problem is remembering which 2012 mods work with XXL.
    Some do and some don't. Guess one day I will have to go through them all and add XXL into the sub folders of the ones that work in XL. Such a task will be long and tedious.

4. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

My only exception for this would be the major moddlers here like Monty etc. In that case I have a folder called "Monty" and all his patch files are placed there. Makes things simpler I think.

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah I think I'm going to have to rework my storage folders a bit.