1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Pc Rant

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by skullz613, Sep 3, 2014.

1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well it all started around 4:30am when I was woken up by my pc doing a reboot cycle. I pulled the power plug out to stop it and put it back in which made carry on doing the same thing.
    Its a Dell optiplex 755. The diagnostic lights have 1, 3 & 4 lit up which is not in the list of commen errors.
    I pulled the battery out to clear the cmos, put it back in and rebooted. i got into the bios and reset the time etc...
    Once it rebooted it showed 3 and 4 lights which is RAM issues. Put in some good RAM but it displayed the same error.
    Looked on the net but theres not much help. One answer is that it graphic issues but my card works fine. I tested it in my old pc.
    Only other thing it could be is the motherboard.
    Pulling all the RAM out now wont even trigger the error of having no RAM installed.
    Any one here had simalar problems with a Dell Optiplex 755?
    I dont have a spare hard drive at the moment so cant even setup my old pc.

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you try the RAM in the other pc.

If you can boot your pc run furmark to see if it's your gpu.

Run memtest86 for you RAM.

If your pc just randomly boots up its might even be your PSU.

3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well I'm now clearing out a 160GB drive onto my external and hope to setup my old Dual Core piece of crap. It can only support 2GB of RAM but at least it will run CitiesXL.
    Currently using a netbook until it's setup. I just hope I can pull the cities I had started off the drive from the Dell and that they are OK. Must not forget all the world machine files as well.
    PC's can cause so much dam stress!
    Have not heard back from the guys the PC was bought from. It was second hand of a trading site called TradeMe. Doubt they will do anything. Just my luck I'll be stuck with a $170 (NZD) paperweight.

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Problem is that It won't boot at all. The diagnostic lights come on then it powers down then reboots. If it would let me boot a CD I would run memtest.
    I've tried some good RAM in it as well but no luck.
    As you said it might be the power supply. Its a weird shaped one so I cant swap it out with a normal power supply though. Its got extra leads and plus on it as well like the HP ones.
    I've seen similar problems with other motherboards that have failed so I'm guessing its fried.

5. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Build your own pc.

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

That's what I will be doing once I can find some work. For now I have to make do with the parts I have laying around. I even thought about using a PC I have in my shed. Its only a Pentium HT but I can chuck 4GB of RAM and my PCI-e graphics card in it.
    For now I'm resizing this 160GB so I'll have a 100GB partition for Win7. It will do until something can be done with the Dell. Emails are going back and forwards between the guys who supplied it so fingers crossed they will help.

7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well I will have another PC by next week. Could be here by Wednesday. I've given up with the Dell. The crowd I got it off reckon it could be a fried motherboard. It was second hand, probably an ex-lease or from a company changing its PC's.
    They only gave their PC's a 14 day warrenty.
    The new one coming is new with a years warranty. Its nothing to fancy. I will have to upgrade my graphics card at some point as its going to be the weakest part. Its only a Geforce 210 512MB.

Here's the spec's of the new one.
    - AMD FX-6300 6-Core Black Editon, 3.5 GHz, turbo core 3.8 Ghz Max turbo core 4.1Ghz 14MB Cache Socket AM3+ "Unlocked"
    - Graphics - Integrated AMD HD3000
    - 8GB high quality DDR3 1600 RAM, Dual Channel memory architecture
    - High Definition Audio
    - Ethernet, Broadband Modem ready
    - 4X300mb/s eSata
    - 6 USB ports
    - 1000GB (1TB) Highspeed SATA 3 Hard Disk
    - 24XCD/DVD Writer, Dual layer.
    - Gigabyte case with front 2Xusb ports, 2XAudio Jacks, quiet Power Supply Unit

8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well i have my new beasty pc up and running with win7 64bit. Had a problem with the photoshop plugins as they refuse to work with 64bit photoshop. Just gonna have to use the 32bit version for map making. Install citiesXL 2012 ok and managed to test the stockholm map im building. After i closed it though something got corrupted and when i started cxl it crashed. The log said a tag file was corrupt. Hopefully my new city is ok otherwise ill have to start again :(