1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Postcards from Govad

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by mrmnts, Mar 30, 2016.

1. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

Govad means wind in Persian. This was the name of a Yazata (angel) in Persian mythology.
    Legend has it that the wind blowing in the region many centuries ago, carved a spiral shape into the mountain; the land formation known nowadays as the spiral, the tower and even the cake or the hat among younger generations. It is this formation that gives the city its identity and it's what attracts most visitors into the city.

Aerial view of the spiral and the old town

SOT.jpg

More photos of the spiral and the park on top of it

statue.jpg

parknite.jpg

parkpond.jpg

The maze at the spiral

mazespiral.jpg

The old town

backgardens.jpg

earlymorning.jpg

lowrise.jpg

oldtown.jpg

oldtownstr.jpg

Farmers' market at the old town

market.jpg

City center (plaza of the Opera)

plaza.jpg

plazaopera.jpg
    City center: shopping distric and cafes

cafes.jpg

shops.jpg

cafesquare.jpg

studentplaza.jpg

sunsetcafe.jpg
    New district: executives' residences and offices

ferris.jpg

boats.jpg

newdistrictnite.jpg

officepark.jpg
    Cocktail bar at the flower

nitecocktail.jpg

University Campus

campus.jpg

The farms and rural area

fields.jpg

oldwind.jpg

windmills.jpg

Riverside suburbs

residen.jpg

residential.jpg

Aerial view

bevfspiral.jpg

kipate and veija2 like this.
  2. veija2

veija2 Mayor

this is a lovely city. Are you making it into a cj?

3. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

@veija2 , thanks! My initial idea was to write a CJ with a twist: a photographer's journal about the city he was photographing for a travel guide and postcards set (hence the title), so each entry on the journal would tell what place he visited that day and give some information about it that way. But then I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or just plain silly and in the end decided to use this thread instead and not make a big deal out of it :) and no CJ

4. kipate

kipate Governor

Looks like a promising start. Let's see how it turns out. Maybe try to use some bridge mod instead of the in-game bridges, though?

5. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

he does, look at the two pictures at the end ;)

6. kipate

kipate Governor

You are right, I should have been more specific: the red cable-stayed bridges could be replaced by modded bridges, though :p

7. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

@kipate, yes the bridges are still a challenge for me. It doesn't show in any photo, but there is one that looks like it's sinking :LOL: and I also had a good laugh trying to place the monorail which ended up looking like a rollercoaster ride in some places so I opted out of it. Once the buildings are placed it is very difficult so next time I'll work on the transportation system first. This is a learning curve so there is still a lot to learn before my cities look polished. Also highways: that is advanced level for me. Not there yet
    Another problem I'm finding is the moment the city starts growing a little my computer starts to not being able to cope. The fan goes on at full blast and it makes me nervious. I got to 170k inhabitants and it already was a struggle. I don't do zoning, every single building I've placed intentionally where it is and it is a lot of work for such huge maps so I might stick to smaller cities for now

kipate likes this.