1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Quebec 1.0

With and without Google overlay

1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

2. master

master Vagabond

good work

3. mat147

mat147 Vagabond

Thank you very much for doing my hometown. I really appreciate. seriously.

4. streetsofny

streetsofny Elite

Hi Skullz613, I've downloaded your map Quebec, and when Im going to choose it for play with it I cant play because the map has not "free space" what I have to do or what is happening? :)

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

That happens to me with some maps. I think it has to do with the base map used for the custom map. Try taking out any custom maps in your PAKs folder that you are not using.

The other thing it could be is you have made some cities and have used the same map for them all.

I looked into my projects folder and noticed that the base map I used had 16 letters in it's file name (example: The Green Hills is MountPlainsRiver)
    I can't remember which one I used but it could be one of these, The Green Hills, The Delta, The Grassy Cliffs or The River Plains.

6. streetsofny

streetsofny Elite

Ok I will try it, thanks!

7. streetsofny

streetsofny Elite

Hi again haha
    Well, I have some custom maps but I'm using them and I can't delete them, I have not used Quebec map before and I have not used twice the same map, also the third option can't be possible because I have reviewed The Green Hills, The Delta, The Grassy Cliffs or The River Plains and Quebec map is not there.
    More solutions or maybe a new update of this map?
    Is the only one that I like for build my new city haha :)

Thanks

8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Sourav

Sourav Vagabond

Attached Files:

10. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I think I know your problem. After you have the files that WM2 outputs (colormap, shadowmap) you need to open them in photoshop (with the nvidia plugin installed) and save them as DDS files. The colormap usually needs the contrast up about 90 and the brightness down -5 or more. The is under the Image then Adjustments menu. When I do GM colormaps I use the Legacy adjustments with brightness down and contrast up.
    legacy.JPG
    The reason I do this on the GM colormap is due to the game as it gets to bright and makes it hard to see anything on the map.
    You then need to go File, Save As, DDS and select DXT1 RGB 4 bpp | no alpha from the menu.

Your shadowmap is the wrong size. It should of been 512x512. You need to change the setting in WM2. World Commands, Project World Parameters and on the first page on the right hand side there is a box next to the resolution called +1. You need to untick it.

Open the shadowmap and create the the alpha channel. Click on the Green channel and select Ctrl A (Select All), then Ctrl C (Copy) then click on the Alpha channel and select Ctrl V (Paste). You then click on the Green and Blue channels and black them out. Click on the RGB channel, select File, Save As, DDS DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha.
    Now you have the files for the editor.

I have attached the DDS files I just made in Kolkata 2.zip

Open the editor and load the heightmap (Height.r32), colormap, shadowmap. You also need a file called RGBmap.dds. Funky included it with his map tutorials. I'm not sure if its around still so have attached all the files you need in this post.
    I have also included my template folders for making a UIM map.
    It's a lot to cover in a post so I recommend that you follow Funkys Video tutorials and take you time to understand them. You will only need the first two videos. I have also attached some other tutorials because I don't know if they are here on XLN. The Tutorial_Mapping_I is by Alex and covers pretty much everything.

One last thing, you need to adjust the heightmap before you export as a patch to test or even as a final Data folder. If you don't the land could be to low or to high and the water could be also to low or to high. Follow the tutorials and you will understand.

height edit.JPG

Most important thing is not to give up. I nearly did but I kept going and finally got results.
    I'm really busy in real life at the moment so my map making has gone on hold. If I get some time today, I'll see If I can make a map from the files.

Attached Files: