1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove Population From Game?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Artmaster, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but with population slowing down my game, I've been wondering if it's possible to completely remove it. Yes, just like when you start out with 0, that's how I would like it to stay, just a skeleton game to build highways, buildings, etc.

Is this possible to change somewhere?

If not, is there anyway to remove bankrupt icons and other icons that hover over buildings annoyingly?

(Typically I try to resolve these issues through city building/planning, but it doesn't always work out perfectly, I just want a pure sandbox city building experience.)

Thanks for reading,
    Art

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure about mods or anything, but if you go to street view the icons disappear.

3. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah those icons can get pretty annoying when you're building sandbox which I usually do before I worry about getting the city functional.

I wish there was a way to hide those icons in the in-game options menu or something. That actually gives me an idea; I think I'll mention it to someone... can't promise anything will come of it though.

As for population, there really isn't any way to do that unless you're willing to edit all the class files of the individual buildings and remove that manually - which would be quite the undertaking.

4. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Just like to add that if you want to remove those icons, one way is to go to the game's installation folder and edit \Data\Config\GlobalSettings.cfg. Set the value "<DisplayIcons>" to "0".

I will probably do this myself when building sandbox - if you ever want the icons back it would just be a matter of changing the "0" back to "1".

Artmaster likes this.
  5. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Thanks for the icon trick! I just realized there is a simple way to prevent population by never connecting the city or doing it at the very end of the building project. However, for my city it's a little late for that.

6. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Also just remembered if you don't place a city hall, that also prevents residents from moving in.