1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Offsite Retail Mega Pack 1.0

Shopping For Thinks To Buy

1. Nick97

Nick97 Elite

Nick97 submitted a new resource:

Retail Mega Pack - Shopping For Office Stuff

Read more about this resource...

2. Radiant Dawn

Radiant Dawn Elite

This looks/sounds good and all, but you most definitely need to add some images please.

3. Kalrisian

Kalrisian Executive

Everything does not look so good, unfortunately. I can use nothing. Almost everything looks bad.

4. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

Based on what I've read so far... I think I'll pass... your work seems to draw a lot of controversy...

5. Steven H. Endermann

Your textures are not perfect, but I say that they are more than good-enough. Yes, it is almost the same pack that you added last fall, so I already have most of this added, but keep up the good work on these mods. We need more people making stores and hotels!

I do have two recommendations, though. First: For buildings like PetCo, Office Max, HyVee, and other big-box stores, maybe make the walls so they can connect and make a plaza Second: Please add a base to your buildings!!!!!

Also, if you ever do add any mods to your pack, then please add a mall with even more department stores -OR- multiple malls. Both would work out fine. Here is a map of a mall that is a town over from me-it actually does pretty well.

peru-mall-map.jpg
    Here is some more information for you-in case you actually decide to make a mall like this, or you are just curious.

http://www.perumall.com/
    http://www.perumall.com/pdfs/directorymap.pdf
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5222/5826528536_7089a44b30_b.jpg
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8482/8270868915_8d98903e8f.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/PERUMALL01.JPG/250px-PERUMALL01.JPG

6. AlexJg

AlexJg Unskilled Worker

"This pack is for high-end machines"
    what is that suppose to mean?

7. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Probably there are no lower detail Lods (L4, L3...). Could be only L1.

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

that means: bad quality (no lods etc) and due to the bad game engine "high performance machines" are not able to solve this..

hopefully this will change with cxxl...

but id like to say for everyone: nick is not the author of this mod, he just uploaded lextacys work (and i got the feeling he does not know nick uploaded his stuff)

9. AlexJg

AlexJg Unskilled Worker

thx, i see most of these aren't look so good also

10. Le Cat

Le Cat Guest

@Nick: Why, WHY have you uploaded beta-files on XLEX?

First, this isn't your work, so you shouldn't be allowed to upload them. Moderators assigned it to the "real" author.
    Second, beta-files aren't XLEX material. It is like trying to sale a car without an engine. People will be able to push it around, but the car can't be used as it is intended to be.
    And last, I don't understand what you can find good in Lextacy's work. When you see what a REAL model is, as delivered to us by experienced modders, and you compare it to the crap that Lextacy made you can't tell me that you find this good.

Lextacy has been working on this for at least a year (When he has time) but since he praises "quantity over quality", he will never deliver a good model to us.

Cities XL is the first citybuilder which has what is the closest to photorealism. Models like Petronas Towers, Old Trafford Stadium, Shibuya series (and so much more) are realistic.
    When you open a City Journal like Tayra (Miguel is my only reference, I know... ;) ), with his photoshopped pictures, you can believe that this is a real city.
    There is no other game that gives this sensation.
    Mods like Lextacys' don't give this sensation.

Pamascus27 and The Funky Monk like this.
  11. top_dog

top_dog Vagabond

The first warning signs that this is not a good mod should be the fact there are no actual preview images of the mods in the thread. IF THERE ARE NO SCREENSHOTS DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

12. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

The guy is trying to help. This pack is beta and was developed by another users. There is no need for us to humiliate some one on the forums. Seriously new or potential modders need to be encouraged not insulted. @Nick97 was trying to help us here by linking a mod originally on a project thread on the old XLNation. He clearly warned everyone about not only the "Beta" status but that only "high end machines" should attempt to use it

MadTech and AlexJg like this.
  13. Steven H. Endermann

I agree that /u/Lextacy_2008's textures are not very good, but these work as a placeholder until somebody like /u/Nogerivan or whoever made the All-American mods makes better textures. To be honest, as long as there is a base and a sign, I am good, but I understand that not everybody here on XELX is like that. I would just feel stupid posting nine hundred billion commerce and T1 residential mod requests, so I will use this comment here to make another request.

His "Cub Foods" model would have been really good if there was a base to it, and one of his plaza's was pretty good. Then again, his LOD count was way too high on all of his buildings. That really lagged up my game.

LAST: I am TRYING to make mods, now. I am doing pretty bad, but maybe I can get there one day. Hopefully, I can make these buildings with slightly better textures. I am using EasyModXL. Is that what a lot of mod makers use?

14. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

thats good (y)
    but nope, everyone i know uses pak-unpak, you can also check my tut ;)

15. Steven H. Endermann

When I am done with what I am about to do, I will!

16. Sin City 5

Sin City 5 Unskilled Worker

some one should really remake all of this, these mostly looks like sketchup model
    not a problem for the small stores, you can place it between other great building and cover it with trees or sth XD
    but for the big box stores, they are looks very wrong. can't compare it with similar mod like superstore. and the huge one will cause sudden crash when you select it on menu.

here some screenshot mixed with other buildings
    gamescreen0058.jpg

i don't see bullying the author would help, but remake it will surely do :p

Steven H. Endermann likes this.
  17. Steven H. Endermann

Exactly! The small buildings WITH BASES are great! Why has a modder not remade some of these buildings?

18. Spock

Spock Executive

to be fair,u shouldve take picture in high quality setting.
    you can do it by set these to very high. texture quality, ambient occlusion, building detail, and number of corpses
    and toned down the saturation on ps

19. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Because they're high poly, graphical intensive models, as Lextacy said. That means the game will slow down as soon as you place a bunch. The whole process of 'reverse engeneering' a mod is tedious and won't grant you extract the model as it is. Modding takes time (specially if you make mistakes on the way :giggle:). Eano was doing an stunning all-americain retail pack...damn...it was going to be a really great mod.

The Funky Monk likes this.
  20. Steven H. Endermann

Please tell me more about this /u/Eano...