1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Russian Map Pak II 1.0

4 XXL maps of city areas in Russia.

1. ronrn

ronrn Governor

ronrn submitted a new resource:

Russian Map Pak II - 4 XXL maps of city areas in Russia.

Read more about this resource...

2. nokia93

nokia93 Vagabond

классные карты! можешь сделать карту Спб, но только в меньшем масштабе, чтобы он целиком умещался? (мб за вознаграждение?)

3. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Для большего реализма:
    Игра масштаб карты = 10 км х 10 км
    Google шаблон масштаб карты = 10 км х 10 км
    Я могу масштабировать больше. Какой город вы смотрите?

For more realism:
    Game map scale = 10km x 10km
    Google map template scale = 10km x 10km
    I can scale larger. Which city do you refer to?

4. nokia93

nokia93 Vagabond

Для наглядности: я за полчаса набросал довольно грубый макет желаемого в xxl map editor, но мой гуманитарный мозг не осилил последний пункт гайда, т.е. как в игру все закинуть. Масштаб можно немного побольше бы взять, чтоб КАД влезал. Люблю масштабность, пусть и в ущерб реализму- карта Москвы есть чтобы с Мкадом а Питер все обрубки делают(

Attached Files:

5. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Sorry, the translation was not clear.
    Use any textures you choose and
    Try these settings for materials. layer_0.jpg layer_1.jpg layer_2.jpg layer_3.jpg

6. nokia93

nokia93 Vagabond

Sorry, I was sure that you understand russian)) I have made a rough sketch of the desired map in ct xxl map editor, but couldn't import it into the game.( It would be really cool to do the map of Saint-Petersburg in this scale or maybe a little bigger, to place the entire city with the beltway. Of course, it will be less realistic, but grandiosity is on the first place.. About textures- May be winter textures with a little green will be the most suitable (I can say like a resident of this great city))

7. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Я говорю только по-английски.
    Я использую онлайн-переводчик, который хорошо работает большую часть времени. Я хотел бы ответить на другие языки для вежливости (и удовольствия).

I speak english only.
    I use an online translator that works well most of the time. I like to respond to other languages for courtesy (and fun).

I will try to work on a tutorial that demonstrates how to create a "Your_Map.patch" file for intstalling into XXL, using the files that are generated in the XXL Map Editor.
    or
    Is this approximately the area you wish for? (see image attachment)
    If not, what is your desired area (height = width)?

Attached Files:

8. nokia93

nokia93 Vagabond

If I understand correctly, you make your maps by overlaying of the real map for greater accuracy. I don't know is it real to make the desired area without proportions changing... so something like this- 30х20, оr 30х30 if the area has to be square ( but in map editor it is rectengular). So scale is rather little)

Attached Files:

9. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Yes, I use real maps as templates or overlays (or more accurately, underlays). I simply trace the outline of the water/shore features and fill the spaces in with appropriate shades to produce a greyscale heightmap. Adding multiple elevations is a little more complex.

Then I import the heightmap into the editor as an "8 bit" image (.png / .bmp / or .jpg).

Though it may appear to be rectangle, the Map Editor uses a 4096 x 4096 (square) resolution. Any size imported image, square or rectangle is automatically converted to this resolution by the editor.

Cities XXL game maps are exactly 10.589 x 10.589 kilometers square, relative to in-game roads and buildings.

A real map used as a template can be of any chosen size area and manipulated in any way, but it should be converted to a greyscale image with a max resolution of 4096 x 4096 for import into the map editor.

10. nokia93

nokia93 Vagabond

So, desired global scale of the map can be reached only by drawing the landscape manually, with proportions changing? 10km-30km( 3 times) and items will be too small or not? All in all, if it is possible to create such a global scale by simple way it would be great, if not, I will try to comprehend the awful last chapter of the editor's guide..

11. ronrn

ronrn Governor

For accurate scale, a real map that covers an area of 10.589 km must be used as a template.
    I actually use 9 km, it just seems to be more realistic.
    I know of no other way to get accurate scale.
    Have you seen my totorial here:
    Tutorial - Map Making: Part 1

12. nokia93

nokia93 Vagabond

nice guide! It would be awsome if you could to make a simple guide about how to import all files into the game - last chapter of steam-guide is too
    confusing.

13. ronrn

ronrn Governor

I agree. Some of that steam guide chapter is incorrect as it pertains to XL map making.
    I plan on making a tutorial for creating "XXL_map.patch" files soon.