1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Savannah, Ga 1.0

With and without a Google overlay

1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

2. mike28086

mike28086 Vagabond

Is this map, and your other maps, scaled accurately? The size seems to be off, or is it just me?

Regards,

mike28086

3. mike28086

mike28086 Vagabond

The shape looks correct, its just that the scale seems to be off somehow by 1/4 or something.

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I always do my maps at 10.5km x 10.5km. I followed what Funky was doing with his maps. I think the game shrinks them down to 10km x 10km. I will have to refresh my memory why we are doing them at 10.5km.

The shape of my real world maps are taken from Google Maps so if any map shape is out its due to Google. They sometimes show marshy areas as water so that's the only thing that can be different in my maps.

5. mike28086

mike28086 Vagabond

Sorry it has been so long since I first asked the question.
    No, I am not saying that they look wrong, they are great, no terrific. The just was wondering if the size was accurate, that was all. Some of the cities parts you have done, I would not think would have been able to fit in a 10.5 or 10km size map. That is all that I was wondering, again your maps, are amazing. Thank you for all of your work. I have made a few in the past, but nothing compared to what you and funky have done.

Regards,

mike28086

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

That's alright. I agree that sometimes they look a bit out. I use the ruler in Google Maps to make sure I get the area as close as possible. Sometimes there could be a few km more added or taken off as it's a bit of hit and miss when your capturing the images from Google Maps.
    One day I will make a document showing the steps I take to build a Google overlay map.