1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities XXL Short game play then freeze/crash

Discussion in 'Game Play Support' started by brendonwright1989, Dec 20, 2018.

1. brendonwright1989

Hi All.

Just putting it out there. I have managed to keep a city working for nearly 2 years to the day and the whole map is nearly entirely filled. I have had obvious issues over time but I have worked around them. For example, at one point the game would stop working on auto save, so I have gone around that by not allowing it to auto save using a mod & it has been fine.

I recently had a graphics card glitch and had a new, better graphics card installed. I am not able to provide specifics but basically the computer screen turned off and now its working and all is good. blah blah.

The new/latest problem is that I'll be playing the game, about 20 minutes or so, and then the buildings and cars will go blurry and cars become grey boxes. While I have had this before, usually it corrects itself or its a mod that I have installed and I'll delete it. This time though nothing has changed and it will provide me with a short play time then either freeze/crash, or I'll attempt to save and it will freeze/crash.

I am coming to grips with the fact that the city may just have reached some sort of capacity, but I have even gone back a few manual save points to when it was working 100% and it does the same thing.

Does anyone know something around this? I would have to say goodbye to 2 years work when I'm oh so so close to finishing up the city, my only other option would be to take as many screen shots as I can while I can still use the game but 20 minutes does not allow it to load up enough details for decent shots (trees, etc).

So hopefully there's something we can do! PLEASE HELP.

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have had the same issue in the past but only with a fraction of the map filled. A restart of XXL resolved it. Not sure what causes it.
    I do however adjust the globalconfig file to load everything at the start which helps with gameplay and getting those screenshots before problems start.

3. brendonwright1989

Hi Skullz how do I restart XXL or will I lose everything? How do I adjust the globalconfig

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

If the graphics play up I save and close the game.
    The graphics glitching won't affect saving.
    Even closing without manually saving will still save so should be fine.

Globalconfig (Cities XXL/Data/Config/)

Open it with notepad and scroll down to <visibilityEnabled>2</visibilityEnabled>

Change the 2 into a zero

This will pre render all objects

Also change the 1 to zero in
    <ProcessEnabled>1</ProcessEnabled>

Save it and close.

This also helps with pre rendering everything.
    You will notice the difference once your city loads. Might take a minute while everything is rendered.

I

5. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Works? my solution was to pause the game, build 5 - 10 building, resume, wait for building to rise then pause and save. After 10 min i just save and quit, delete file in shadercache folder and start the game. Use 2 or 3 save file in case the last save is broken and never overwrite the last working save file. If the buildings become blurry don't bother to save, just quit and start again the game.

6. brendonwright1989

I might try this, sounds tedius but hey, at the end of the day I might be able to finish up a few bits and pieces, my only concern is taking screen shots after about 10-15 minutes it will crash its never enough time to load up the small details like trees etc which is the whole point. I'll give it a go though I might be able to get a bit more done this way thank you.