1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Simcity. 25 Years Old.

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by The Funky Monk, Oct 4, 2014.

1. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I read an article today about how the original SimCity came out 25 years ago today. October 3rd 1989. I was 11. I played the crap out of that game and it started my infatuation with city builders. My favorite SimCity games is SimCity 3000.

Who else played that game and who else now feels old?

2. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

I first encountered Sim City on the Super NES when a friend and I rented the console and a couple of games to kill some time on a weekend. I think this was in 1990 or 1991 and we both had more fun with Sim City than the other titles we rented. I was supposed to take the SNES and the games back to the video store on the Monday after I finished work.
    But I never got to work. I pretended to be sick and I stayed at home and played Sim City for the entire day (until 8 or 9PM when I had to take the games back before the shop closed for the day!)

Sim City kickstarted my interest in city builders - it was just so much fun in a completely different way to the standard sorts of games that were on the Nintendo. I bought a SNES later the same year and although the console came packaged with a game (Killer Instinct if I remember correctly), Sim City was the very first game I actually bought for that console.
    I still have the console tucked away in a cupboard somewhere and yes, I still have that copy of Sim City!