1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Virus Allert

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Merrilkl Maddox, May 10, 2015.

1. Merrilkl Maddox

Merrilkl Maddox Executive

I was downloading,

This missing Shader for the Shader Pack: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wl37kh3e1xwye9c/#Building_Enhanced_v2.fx#Building_Enhanced_v2.fx

From tutorial:
    Let’s start 3D-Moddeling for Cities XL
    Very Basic Tutorial by Mr.X² - Part I

When I went to Mediafire to download, I picked up a browser highjacker virus.

I downloaded this file once before with no trouble. Not sure what happened, but be careful with this download.

So far, I have managed to get rid of it, with the exception of, I had to delete Google Chrome.

I have everything back up now. :)

I was a little upset so I don't remember the name of the file, but if this happens to you, you will know the name!

To get rid of it,
    1. Go to your control panel, select uninstall a program, and uninstall it.
    2. Next go to your web browser, it's going to load it's own search engine page. When it does, go to another search engine.
    3. In IE, open the little gear Icon at the top right side of the page "Tools" and select "Manage Add-ons"
    4. Select "Search Providers" look to the right and you will see it there, mouse over it and delete if you can, or disable it.
    5. Now you will need to reboot your system.
    Google is about the same way,
    1. Go to tools on the top right.
    2. Scroll down to "More Tools", in the pop out, select "Extensions".
    3. Look for that extension and delete it if you can, or disable it.
    4. Reboot your system.
    I hope no one runs across this like I did.

Good luck.

2. Merrilkl Maddox

I found the problem.

When I was downloading the first time, there was a problem and as always, the minute I see something out of the normal, I close the page.
    Well, When I did, I did not realize that it had opened a popup in the background that read "Your file is ready for download". Like a moron, I went ahead and selected it thinking it was this file, by then it was too late, I could not get it to stop loading.

Now that all is good, I went back to download that file. The file downloads just fine. However, I am not sure if it happens to everyone, but after downloading that file, it drops that same pop-up in the background, in a new page "Your file is ready for download". DON'T TOUCH THIS!!! Just close it.

I checked, and it happens on a different systems as well, so it isn't a virus on my system. It's just a pop-up on that site.

Just be careful.

3. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Huh this is really weird and I too hope this won't happen to other players. I have a feeling the virus
    might have been from all those annoying ads and popups that I've experienced from this site but I'm not sure.

Thanks a ton neverthless for the info, this will help people a lot that might have contracted such virus! (y)

4. Monty

Monty Governor

Hey, i'm pretty sure you clicked on one of those "bait" fake download button adverts on Mediafire. I recommend you to use AdBlock plus extension that blocks all the ads. I've been using it for years and I don't think I could browse the web without it anymore. The shader file (if you download it by clicking in the real download button) is clean of viruses.

The problem with these adwares is that if you're logged into Chrome and you have it set to sync your extensions, it will infect every Chrome installation you log into.

You could ask to Mr. X to use a more "serious" file hosting service like Dropbox, Google Drive or Mega.co.nz, at least those doesn't seem to allow those fake download ads with viruses.

Pamascus27 likes this.
  5. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Ah great to hear that mate! Glad that problem is fixed and I hope people will be careful about this.
    And I agree with what Monty said, I highly recommend that.

6. Merrilkl Maddox

I will look into this. I thought it was malware at first.

I agree, I have downloaded it 2 times before. Don't know why it is dropping that pop-up now. But you are right, the file does need to be on a little cleaner host.

When I got this one, I was using IE, and it infected all my browsers. Well, IE, Google, and Firefox. I don't have Safari or Opera on this system, so I'm not sure if it would have gotten them too. LOL

Adblock Plus - I see a download for each browser. Do you need to download this independently for each, or will one download apply to all browsers?

Just answered that myself. It's an independent extension, needs added to each browser.

Thanks

7. Monty

Monty Governor

Yeah, I don't know about iE and Firefox because I don't use them. But for Chrome you can get AdBlock Plus from the official Chrome Store.

8. gm624

gm624 Unskilled Worker

I had the same issue without clicking any bait buttons. Then I had the issue where it asks me to put in a CAPTCHA numerous times to no avail. I'm responding to bump this and share my two cents. Not looking for a debate on browsers, just saying. Lol.

9. Monty

Monty Governor

As far as I know medifire doesn't use captchas. I can't see any catpcha either with AdBlock ON or OFF.
    This is how mediafire download page looks like with AdBlock Plus ON. No ads,no fake download buttons or fake captchas (?)
    screenshot_79.jpg

10. gm624

gm624 Unskilled Worker

For the benefit of other members facing dilemmas similar to mine, is this program available as a free version? If not, is it very expensive? Thanks for including a screen shot. And you previously mentioned it is only for Google Chrome? Correct? Just for clarification for both members and myself.

11. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

shouldnt be a virus
    and never had trouble with mediafire...
    and nope, there arent any captchas at all
    anyway, as far as i know altiris has added this missing shader to the official download package here on xl-nation

everything you need for modding you can get for free. no need to pay for sth at all :)
    adblock is freeware too, no idea if its available for chorme, for firefox its definitley available and works excellent

12. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I have adblock for both Firefox and chrome.

13. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

BTW I virus check the XLNation server often, we are virus free atm

The Funky Monk and Mr.X² like this.