1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird Things Happen When I Try To Make My First Building Mod

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by APXHTEKTON, Jan 16, 2015.

1. APXHTEKTON

APXHTEKTON Unskilled Worker

Hello Everybody :D

I'm a new member in new XLNation but an old of SImtropolis and old XLNation.. this is my comeback and I'm willing to start modding, starting from easy things like tweaking existing buildings, changing <Tags> for menu locations etc... So, once done with downloading custom content from XLNation and some from Simtropolis I played some time, after that my Instinct woke up... MODDING !

Well, CXL is a very sensitive game when you touch it...gotta be carefully because one false command can make the difference sometimes... this is more or less how I lost 2x Beautiful 30% finished cities ... HORROR this is...

ok..i gave up my cities,np, new day,new sun,new town ..i said

So I played a new town again, learning my lesson ...never to use mods under construction in my main cities..In my chase I couldn't retrieve a missing .class file of building I wanted to modded .. I didn't destroy the buildings after the test... 3 days later,wanted to do another test and forgot the building there... I continued on my mod ,I changed my .class file again without noticing I didn't had a backup .. I lost everything.. the game wasn't able to load my saved city anymore because there were missing .class file information of building I have already builded in the city but forgot to delete...i guess..so before entering town, i got error message :(

well... I did a terrible mistakes after many edition of some .class files of some of w2w_NY Building pack 1 ... I somehow managed to change permanently the amount of citizens moving into my houses by ridiculous 1-5 residents per building ,aswell, BUT FOR ALL HOUSES & TYPES !! .....omg I said, black magic?Bad Karma ?? .....I just wanted to make a second version of an custom content building..what could have gone wrong? I never touched unknown data, only TAGS, LAYERS,etc in class files, why such a big inpact in game because of some text edits ???
    Has anyone some clues ? Tips on .class file behavior is welcomed...

Im currently reinstalling everything even mods ( gonna store my mods by type this time ,like on XLNation and keep overview and backups) ... but Im just curious to learn more about the behavior of the game...I want to go deeper in modding this time...

thx for your time ...

Alexandros

2. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

best method is unpack the current game using Cities XL PakUnpak tool. think there is a link on this site somewhere.
    Once unpacked you can then copy or compare ingame bulding class files etc. see what tags they use.
    As for custom tags refer to UIM for modders section in that thread.
    There are so many topics questions and answers already - read more in modding help threads etc.

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

1. i suggest to create a testtown for your mods and changes.. test them there and when you are sure everything works properly use them in your normal cities.. same for modfolder create a testmod folder and pplace your mods there while testing
    2. you might want to have a look at part 5 of my tutorial which deals with class files and stuff
    3. uhm..^^

4. APXHTEKTON

Yes Mr.X I have read your tut partially .. it was really helpful to understand the processes .. thanx..
    Im facing different problem now...i finally reinstall my game because I could not get citizens moved into my city... Paradoxly the same thing happens after the double-re-installation.. i guess something is still there ? i cannot explain how this possible to happen while the whole game is in a windows wrapper Installed (emulating windows on mac OS ) with wineskin app. I don't see a reason why such thing possible ...yet.

5. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

hm, sorry i have no idea about emulators on mac os...
    usually id say delete all focus home interactive entries in c:/users to do a clean install, but hm...

6. APXHTEKTON

Using a wrapper is very common for mac users and it works pretty good.

The population I get is always 1 -5 per building... is this not the number of worker per building ?
    I think that a technical issue. I need to debug it somehow.

7. APXHTEKTON

problem solved finally . continuing game folder rebuild finally The population problem might have been cause by misunderaction in .class files, or even wrong coding in text editor. ... thx for any tips :)