1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

XLN is too much of a beast!

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by skullz613, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have been keeping an eye on the server and XLN is chewing up the memory. I have implemented caching which has helped a little but not enough.

I hope to be able to try something like cloudflare before the hosting company starts complaining at me for hogging the server.

If nothing helps, I will have to look at getting a server that is a bit more powerful. That will of course mean more money.

kipate and Mr.X² like this.
  2. kipate

kipate Governor

Tell us the price. I am unwilling to burden only you with payments.

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

any news about the donation system?

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

It's disabled at the moment. I just have to sort out paypal and then it can be made active.
    If we go ahead and make the move to bigger faster hosting, there has to be funds to keep us going.
    I have been looking around and getting info on the best setup we need for the software we are running.

In the meantime I'm looking at what I can do to keep us where we are for a little longer. Caching pages has helped the site speed but not the memory usage. The high memory (I was told from support) is just from visitors or members looking at images etc...

I did find where an error was after a few hours searching. It was filling the error log up. Four images were missing from the styles folder. Not sure if Icyhot had missed them in the original setup of the style or they had failed to transfer when I moved the files. I have a feeling he forgot to add them when he installed the featured threads plugin or possibly the plugin did not give the instructions to add them to the current style.

5. nicknick

nicknick Governor

i can't help on the technical aspect, but i 'd be willing to donate as soon as we have a donation page. . . Cities XL and this place is a big part of my life.

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

As some of you have noticed there has been a few errors and also I've seen the website not load a few times. We are still hitting max memory all of the time.

I'm going to work out what the cost's will be to upgrade the hosting and will also get the donation plugin sorted.
    Should be fine staying with the same provider so it's just a simple upgrade. We would be down for a very short period of time.
    VPS hosting should be OK but it will be a monthly cost and not yearly like the current hosting.

7. Kasimga8

Kasimga8 Vagabond

Tell me the price.I am interested in it.

8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

This is old news. XLN is on VPS hosting now

9. Alan Potts

Alan Potts Vagabond

Old News.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.